Rogers IPG Discussions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 2013-10-31, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Location: Ottawa, Canada, CISCO 9865 x 5, Veteran, Canadian Forces & RCMP
Rogers IPG Discussions

As most of you know I am not a Rogers basher, but in this case they must take some blame for an over sight.

The sports naming method has changed, so that programing a series is no longer possible.

I will use hockey as an example, the naming method use to be NHL Hockey and you could set your device to tape all NHL Hockey games on the channel.

It is now NHL Hockey: "name of teams playing" the device will only tape what is in that time slot as written. In other words, that game is the only one taped unless there is the same match up somewhere in the coming months.

I have tried this with CBC, Sportsnet, TSN and TSN2, same results.

I contacted Rogers about this and they advise that the supplying network inputs this naming into their (Rogers) database, sounds a little strange to me.

I like the why the games are defined, but they must find a way to allow series programming again.

By the way, this is the same for all sports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 2013-10-31, 02:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I contacted Rogers about this and they advise that the supplying network inputs this naming into their (Rogers) database, sounds a little strange to me.
This isn't completely incorrect. Rogers doesn't write the guide data themselves. Its provided by a 3rd party company, which collects it all from the stations, etc and then provides it out to different carriers (they supply things like guides for DVRs, etc too).
They switched companies a while back... and this may be another downfalling of that switch (the loosing dates, and type of info for movies being a big part)

GDKitty
Rogers Ignite Xi6, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Yamaha
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 2013-10-31, 03:43 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
This is an IPG issue and really has nothing to do with the 9865 or 8642, etc, hence the move to a new thread.

Rogers switched IPG providers in June 2013 and the information has been more accurate, especially with respect to start/stop times. The accuracy of course affects things like recording the same type of programming, but I believe you'll need to now set individual recordings.

I actually hate the way they used to do "Auto Racing" with the same title for a huge number of events. They now have "Formula One and the event name, which I prefer for browsing and finding that event rather than having to look through many "Auto Racing" listings to find F1 or IndyCar, etc. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to record the huge number of "Auto Racing" events they used to have every week when I only want to see one race.

You can't have it both ways.

PS. The date information has returned for many movies and has also been "added" to some programming where it was not present before, so gain a little, lose a little. Also, the new IPG rarely has info that runs out before the end of the descrip..

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 2014-10-04, 03:48 PM

A friend of mine just picked up some new equipment and it included a new Getting Started guide which is sort of like a brief instruction manual on how to use your Rogers services. In the TV section it had a picture of the IPG and the picture did not depict the RTN guide we currently have but an IPG that is actually very similar to Videotron's Illico New Generation but in a Rogers colour scheme.

I wonder if this was a mistake or if this is a sign of what's coming. I'll try to see if I can grab a picture of that particular page.

Last edited by 57; 2014-10-04 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Moved to this thread.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 2014-10-05, 05:31 AM

PS. The date information has returned for many movies and has also been "added" to some programming where it was not present before, so gain a little, lose a little.

If they would only add an episode number I'd be happy. A simple 3 digit number like 212 for season 2 episode 12 would make things so much easier.
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 2014-10-05, 11:40 AM
Veteran

Missing episode information is my biggest issue with Rogers guide data. There is no excuse for omitting it. The missing episode information reduces the value of Rogers TV significantly since it becomes very difficult to watch mini-series and many other series coherently. That's especially true of series on premium channels like Superchannel, TMN or HBO. In my opinion, Rogers needs to compensate customers for the inability to fully enjoy this programming.

Rogers also needs to get rid of all the duplicate channels. It creates a bloated, unmanageable guide. It also triggers bugs in their flagship PVR. At least one other BDU offers a selection of modified lineups that eliminate the duplication. Customers can choose whether they want the "classic" channel listing or the new, reorganized listing.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 2014-11-03, 03:12 PM
Rookie

I am a rogers subscriber in Oshawa. Lately my guide for channel 10, 510, 182 does not show the breakdown of the upcoming programs. It simply says Rodgers TV - Oshawa/Whitby. This is on the 9865 nextbox 3 and also on my 6300 and 8642. Called Rogers today and spoke to someone and they said they would check it out. Asked me to try pushing cbl button on remote and then info. Did not fix anything. Said I would get a phone call when they had the answer. Got an automated call later in day saying it was fixed but nothing had changed in my guides. Anybody else having this problem. I like to program in the generals games and it becomes a guessing game or sets itself to record for 24 hours. Very annoying. Thanks for any help.
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 2014-11-03, 03:39 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
My Rogers IPG is properly populated for those channels. Try rebooting the STBs by unplugging them for a few seconds while they are not recording. The IPG may take until the next day to properly populate.

If that doesn't work, then there may be a problem with the head end you're connected to. Also check the following to ensure your STB are properly communicating with the head end. Try a VOD channel (channel 100) for example:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...39#post1166439

Check out the other posts in the above FAQ as you have time.

PS. I glanced ahead in the IPG and did see "Rogers Sports - TBA" listed on Friday, Saturday & Sunday evening, but all other programming seemed to be intact.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 2014-11-03, 04:10 PM
Rookie

When I called Rogers about the guide issue they checked in the Toronto area and said it was ok there. They mentioned also about rebooting but I had already tried that. I think it may just be an Oshawa issue but will try your suggestions and then if no luck call rogers again. Thanks for the help.
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 2014-11-03, 06:42 PM
Rookie

I also live in Oshawa and have the same problem with the Rogers TV channels. Someone else had earlier noted this problem in this or another thread which brought it to my attention. My guide for Ch. 10 DURTV says "Rogers TV - Ajax/Pickering" for each 12 hour period. Ch. 510 RTVDH says "Rogers TV - Oshawa/Whitby" for each 12 hour period. Ch. 182 is same as Ch. 10
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 04:05 PM

Thumbs down Lousy/Generic episode descriptions software another bug?

I posted a while back complaining about the lousy/generic episode descriptions that just describe who the host is (like telling you who Jimmy Fallon, David Letterman or Jon Stewart are, or what EastEnders is and how many years it's been on, instead of describing what you really want to know - who the guests are on a particular show, or a brief description of the episode title &/or what happens in the episode). I said that Rogers should replace the third party company they switched to about a year ago for guide information as they aren't doing the job they're paid to do. Well guess what - it appears we can blame at least some of this on RTN software and Cisco programmers too.

Last night I just happened to go into the Guide while the 9865 was recording Late Night With Seth Meyers (Ch.11 HDNBC).
My recording on the 9865 has no NEW marking for a new episode (it was new) and the description says:
"The former "Saturday Night Live" star hosts a late-night talker featuring guests and music performances. Meyers succeeded Jimmy Fallon in NBC's post-"Tonight Show" slot in February 2014. (Talk Shows)"
HOWEVER - the Guide description, while the program was recording (I took a photo to make sure I wasn't imagining this) was marked as NEW and said:
"Nathan Lane; Kristen Schaal. Also Borns performs. (2015)."

So I checked the Guide for the rest of this week, and guests are listed for each episode. As I can't yet see Tuesday next week at 12:37a I looked at The Tonight Show for next Monday at 11:34p (another program episode that recorded last night with a generic episode description) and sure enough there's the another generic description telling me who Jimmy Fallon is.

(Interesting that the 3:37a recording of the same show on Ch.581 HCTVV DID have the correct description of the guests).

So it appears in the Guide they list a generic description at first if they don't have episode details, and then later (during one of the daily 2am guide updates) update this with the guest list or episode description, and add the New indicator if appropriate.
BUT the 9865 seems to capture the episode description for Series Recording at the time it first schedules it (several days in advance), and does not later (or does not always) update it with the newer description at the time it records the program.
I've only really noticed these generic descriptions on recordings in the last few months, around the time version 5.1.1.0104 was released.

Whether or not this has anything to do with extending the recording or not (I have this series marked to Stop 5 minutes after) I'm not yet sure, but it is interesting that the 3:37a west coast recording on Ch.581, which is NOT marked to extend by 5 minutes, DID have the correct episode description and was marked as NEW).

So, apparently, another example of lousy coding &/or no thought given to how this box should work.

This isn't to say the guide information provider is totally off the hook. Top Gear episodes on BBC Canada used to tell you what happens, now mostly it just says "Cars are reviewed and road tested. (Other)" - even for episodes scheduled to start in the next few hours. How useful.
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 05:25 PM
Veteran

I agree about the guide. It looks like the guide interface was only half implemented and they have part time employees filling in the data. Part of the problem is due to stations supplying incomplete or inaccurate data. I find that US stations tend to be better about supplying correct info. I've had pretty good luck lately with recording just new shows. There have been some notable exceptions though. It would be nice if their was an new show indicator in the show description. Season and episode information is still missing from series. That's a critical piece of information for some shows.
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-03-31, 06:52 PM

As for the guide issues, i know that this is not really a 9865 issue, but I agree that the program descriptions are god-awful. Not only is the information generally useless but I have found that even if a detailed description is provided, it often it isn't even accurate or for the right program. I've even come across instances when the guide didn't even identify the programs correctly and I recorded few a programs that when I viewed them were completely different programs. How hard is it to provide the right informations. For a series the least they could do is identify the series and episode number! I find that Top Gear and Fifth Gear are the worst for this and I have to record all episodes and then view the first few minutes of each episode to determine whether it's an episode that I've seen before or is new.

Arris Xi6-A (Ignite TV), Yamaha RX-V681, Sony KDL-70R550A, LG BP620, Sony BDP-S5100, Sony XBR-55X900E

Last edited by 57; 2015-03-31 at 09:04 PM. Reason: OT paragraph removed.
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-04-01, 11:37 AM
Veteran

Part of that problem is in the definition of new. Some channels define it as new if it's the first time aired on that channel, even if it was aired last week or last year on another. Some just use it only for first run shows, never aired on TV before. Then there are those that just don't bother indicating new shows or just forget to include it on certain series or shows.
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 2015-04-01, 01:50 PM

Rhstats,

It appears for series recordings this may partially be a problem with RTN software not updating the descriptions once it originally schedules the recording, even if later the episode description is updated in a nightly 2am update (as per my above post - MIGHT only occur if you extend the end, or beginning, of the program) though most of it IS down to lousy guide information.

Agree Top Gear episode descriptions lately are totally useless lately - just the generic "Cars are reviewed and road tested". Even when they did attempt a reasonable description recently, the 2 part Patagonian special, they used exactly the same description for parts 1 & 2, so I almost missed the second part.

Fifth Gear episode descriptions appear a little more useful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in