Using MoCa/ethernet over coax with Rogers? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-12-22, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Using MoCa/ethernet over coax with Rogers?

As the title states, Can I use a Ethernet over Coax product with Rogers.

Dlink sells one and so does Gefen.

http://www.gefen.com/gefentv/gtvprod...?prod_id=5275#

I want to know if this will interfere with rogers or in the Future when they use the Whole house PVR.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-12-22, 03:39 PM
Veteran

I wouldn't risk it. You'd be injecting a signal into Rogers cable (they take a dim view of that) which may interfere with your neighbours.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-12-22, 05:31 PM

I think it should be safe and is meant to work with cable (Even digital), but it's not compatible with Satellite. Even the newer Rogers STB have this functionality built-in, but not activated yet. Dell in Canada sells such a kit, so it's licensed for use in Canada.

It's has had a very slow adoption rate, but is suppose to be far superior to Powerline.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-12-22, 05:39 PM
Veteran

^^^^
According to the info on that link, it uses frequencies up to 30 MHz, which are also used by some cable channels.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-12-23, 01:35 AM

I don't think this a moca device but rather an HPNA type device which will interfere with the Rogers network and cause issues for all your neighbors.

You can probably put a filter on the main coax coming into the house that will block the data from going out of your house, but as JamesK stated you will probably have issues with the Rogers digital signal in your home.

From what I've read in the manual, i don't think this is a product to be used with an existing service, but rather a product to use a coax run that is not in use.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2011-12-23, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

So would this one be ok or should I stick with powerline.

wow didn't know dell wasn't allowed to be linked hehe

there is on the market a netgeat MoCA and a DLINK.

Forum won't let me link them.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-15, 04:28 PM

I was at CES last week and was lucky to be the winner of an Actiontec ECB2500C MOCA adapter kit. I haven't hooked it up yet, but will report back here once it is all hooked up. The people at the booth said it was fully compatible with Digital TV services and works perfectly with the recent series of Rogers STBs (8642/4642). Once Rogers updates their firmware (maybe in the next 10 years, if we are lucky), all MOCA devices, including those in the STB will talk to each other.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-01-22, 06:52 PM

So I hooked up my MOCA adapter in my condo and it works great. I can stream my Slingbox through the bridge at full 8000 Kbps which is double what I used to get with powerline. So far no issues with my Cable boxes. I don't have internet over cable, so can't comment on that, but it is suppose to be compatible as well. It also is fully compatible with the "enhanced" STB from Rogers, so I can't wait to try it once they enable the whole home PVR option. According to the vendor, the STB will act as additional LAN ports on my networks.

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=251
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 02:28 PM
Eug
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott01 View Post
I don't think this a moca device but rather an HPNA type device which will interfere with the Rogers network and cause issues for all your neighbors.

You can probably put a filter on the main coax coming into the house that will block the data from going out of your house, but as JamesK stated you will probably have issues with the Rogers digital signal in your home.

From what I've read in the manual, i don't think this is a product to be used with an existing service, but rather a product to use a coax run that is not in use.
I just tried it, and HomePNA over coaxial seems to work fine on the same coaxial cables as my Rogers digital (and analogue) TV.

What digital cable uses frequencies as low as 30? I know that cable modems (DOCSIS) use frequencies that low (and lower), but it was my impression that digital cable does not. It's supposed to use frequencies from about 50 to 1000.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 02:36 PM

My Cisco 4642 and 8642 boxes were upgraded last night. I then checked to see if the LAN port on the back would work and pick up my MoCa network. So I hookup my Boxee to the back of my 4642 and the link light comes ON for both devices, but alas, it doesn't get an IP adress. I don't have the whole home activated in my home, so likely the cause.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I just tried it, and HomePNA over coaxial seems to work fine on the same coaxial cables as my Rogers digital (and analogue) TV.

What digital cable uses frequencies as low as 30? I know that cable modems (DOCSIS) use frequencies that low (and lower), but it was my impression that digital cable does not. It's supposed to use frequencies from about 50 to 1000.
Docsis upstream frequencies use frequencies below and around 30 MHz. Broadcasting HPNA signals on Rogers Cable is a very bad idea. The HPNA signals are amplified by the return amplifiers on the cable plant (same if it was upstream docsis signals) to the cable node and the cmts at the head-end. This will cause uncorrected blocks (packet loss and slowdown) for all the cable and voice (phone) modems in your node (neighborhood). It won't be long before Rogers track down the HPNA signal to your home and install a return filter on your cable line. You will loss 2-way services on your set-up box and cable modem service if you are subscribe. It's a major issue for all your neighborhood.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 04:21 PM

"1.5. Coexistence with DOCSIS
HPNA does not coexist with DOCSIS on the same physical media and a separate coax
line should be used for the DOCSIS modem with an appropriate filter at the
combining point with the HPNA coax network as seen in Figure 4"

"1.6. Coexistence with Return Channel
HPNA does not coexist with Set Top Boxes that use a return channel in the band 4-28 MHz."

http://www.i4wifi.cz/inc/_doc/UserGu...-App-notes.pdf
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-02-25, 06:51 PM
Eug
Veteran

1. I'm not using it actually. I have Gigabit Ethernet already in those locations. It was just for testing.

2. If I did use it, it'd likely be on coax not connected to Rogers cable. However, if I wanted to use the same lines where coax had active Rogers digital service, I'd put in a high pass filter to filter out the HPNA signals before they got out of the house, not just for the reasons you list, but also for security reasons. I believe the filters go for about 10 bucks.

3. What two way service for STBs does that reference mean, in the case of Rogers cable? (On demand? I don't use that.) As for DOCSIS, I don't have any active DOCSIS equipment in the house, but I do understand adding HPNA to the system can screw up things for Rogers and the neighbours. However, the filter would take care of that.

4. MoCa is the better solution in this context, but the reason I mentioned this is because there are a lot of us on Bell VDSL2, and the modems they provide already include HPNA support for free.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-03-03, 10:00 AM
Veteran

I have been using MOCA successfully on Rogers for several years. I bought three Motorola NIM-100 adapters on eBay and use them to get my LAN to two rooms where it was tricky to run Ethernet cables.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2012-03-03, 03:39 PM
Veteran

^^^^
You may want to consider something like the TP-LINK TL-WA901ND. It has several modes, including bridge, which can be used to connect a remote LAN. It supports 802.11N and MIMO. It also can use Power over Ethernet (PoE) with the included injector. This way there's no risk of interfering with Rogers cable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in