Missing Channels - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-05-21, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Missing Channels

I'm on VIP suddenly lost 22+ channels ranging across the entire range, 4 being the lowest and 567 the highest lost. They are completely blank. The effect also seems to be by network - I lose CBS on 16 but also on 523. Rogers says that it is the cable inside the house that runs from their input to the PVR.

I don't understand cable problems could selectively lose only a relatively small subset channels across the the entire channel range. Perhaps I don't understand how channels map to frequencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-05-21, 03:41 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Certain channels can be affected by the signal strength and being cut off by inappropriate splitters or other equipment upstream of your STB - the QAM frequencies are affected differently (higher frequencies typically have more signal loss). Check your signal strength and S/N ratio per the link below. It's probably low and you need to call Rogers - they should have been able to check your signal strength while you were on the phone with them - that's probably why they said it was an issue inside your home - which they will usually fix at no charge as long as too much work isn't required...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

Quote:
I lose CBS on 16 but also on 523
Of course because they are the identical channel after the Auto-HD update went out last year.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=132665 Auto-HD

Useful Post - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

Here are your previous posts with problems - also probably due to signal:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=128124

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...417#post972417

You never provided us with any feedback regarding the signal in either thread. We can't help you if you don't give us feedback!

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-05-21, 04:29 PM
Rookie

I have the same problem. Started a few days ago. Some channels are perfectly normal, others break up continiously. Will check signal strength as suggested, but we've made no set-up changes and all cables are secure. Worst channel by far (based on a limited review) is Sportsnet 1 (Ch 501)...the SD version is perfect (except for being unwatchable because it isn't HD!)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-05-21, 04:36 PM

A good test. Most of the Rogers channels appear twice + the HD feed. Once between 1 and 100 and again between 100 and 200. If you cannot receive the low channel, which now means that you cannot receive the HD channel try looking for the channel between 100 and 200. If that is there then AND Rogers say the external signal tap is fine then undoubtedly you have a faulty cable/connector/splitter in the house.

I had this problem and Rogers determined that the external tap was faulty...they found that a few feet of the coax from the tap to my house was full of frozen water...which they fixed. It took them 3 trips in the end and they rewired outside and inside the house.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-05-21, 05:07 PM
Rookie

OK...on Sportsnet 1 (501) the level was -19. Better channels were -15. I switched splitters and SN1 improved to -15 and became watchable...no breakup of picture visible. Other channels are around -11. S/N is in the 32 - 35 range.

I assume that I need to get Rogers in to see if they can boost the signal coming in as all the signal levels are still "orange"? Can I boost things myself with a higher quality splitter (if so, what kind, where to buy?). I have 3 tvs, but currently using a 2-way splitter (only one I had to test if a splitter change would improve the signal). Any guidance would be much appreciated.

We've noticed a few PVR recordings breaking up at certain points in the recording. Perhaps indicative of the low signal levels?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-05-21, 05:47 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Splitters need to be rated 5-1000 MHz minimum and bidirectional. With that low a signal though, I doubt that only a better splitter will help. Rogers will supply any required splitters and potentially an amp if they can't get a proper signal without one. They will also check your cabling since some people have internet, which should be the first split, etc.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-05-21, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

None of these explanations solves 2 apparent mysteries. 1) I know that the signal strength is low. But it has been that way from the day the cable was installed, but everything worked OK*. The cables and splitters have not changed or moved. So why the loss now? 2) Why are these particular channels gone and no others? I could understand if the highest frequency channels went, but that doesn't seem to be what's happening. If the cable line is bad, how come I still get some HD channels?

*My previous problems were due to the finickiness of HDMI. I learned that HDMI is known to create problems in some cases and is not all that reliable. I replaced the HDMI connection with an RGB cable and everything has worked fine ever since.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-05-22, 12:44 AM

Certain frequencies can be affected more than others for a number of reasons, including tuner sensitivity, loss of signal at the cable or splitter, etc. If you want to stop having problems, get the signal issues fixed and perhaps tell us what the signal is if you want more help.

Often something very minor can cause something to change, even if you don't think you've touched anything - temperature changes can cause expansion/contraction, dusting can move a cable enough to give a poor connection, oxidation can create a poor connection, this can happen at each connection, which means there are many sources of potential problems. There can be outside interference, especially if there is a poor connection somewhere. There are a thousand reasons why something can change, even if you think nothing has changed in your home. The Rogers signal can also fluctuate going to your home, so a marginally good signal can become a marginally poor one. Many people have problems with certain channels while being able to get others just fine. Sometimes only one QAM may be affected, sometimes it may be more - depends on how bad the signal is. If you search this forum for threads with signal issues, you'll find hundreds, if not thousands of posts on the topic.

Just as an FYI, I've always been able to get HDMI to work on Rogers with the appropriate settings in the various devices and with the appropriate cable, as discussed in the HDMI FAQ I provided in your other thread. I'm glad you got yours to work with component video.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-06-29, 09:59 AM

Cannot tune TSN on 8300HD

Recently I've been having issues with TSN (not the HD channel), it freezes. Now I am not able to tune it at all. I've rebooted, checked the cable etc and nothing.

Any ideas?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-06-29, 10:21 AM
Member #1

See post #2 of this thread.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2011-06-29, 11:11 AM

Thanks Hugh.

Level on the channel is 0.

Strangely, as soon as I went into "diagnostics" mode, the channel tuned perfectly and seems okay now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in