Roger Cable and TiVo - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-06-21, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Roger Cable and TiVo

Hello,

I currently live in a building with analog Rogers cable. I have a TiVo (Series 2) running both tuners with analog - Works great and I love it. I am moving to a new building where I will need to set up my own cable... I want to keep my TiVo with just regular analog cable.

Is this possible? I am even happy to pay for Digital Cable and receive analog cable - Anything to keep my TiVo running with two tuners.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-06-22, 12:05 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Provided the new building has analogue signals, then you'll be fine. I read in another post that some buildings don't have analogue service (something new to me). Be advised that this analogue service may not last much longer (say a year or two) as some smaller cable providers are already switching to 100% digital service.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-06-27, 08:59 AM
Rookie

TiVo TCD649080 Series 2 $49

This thread got me thinking and I did a bit of investigating. The TiVo TCD649080 Series 2 DT, the one that works in Canada, is only $50 in the U.S. compared to $190 here. I ordered one from amazon.com, and I'll pick it up in Ogdensburg next week.

The Series 2 is SD only with 2 analogue tuners, but will still work as a single tuner with an SD digital box. The service is $129 per year (no tax?).

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Yes - The Series 2 is a lot cheaper in the US, which is thanks to the availablility of HD TiVo there.

I fear that I will need to give up my TiVo for Rogers/Bell PVR when I move... I have heard that Rogers will not sell me regular analog cable anymore.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 10:17 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
I have heard that Rogers will not sell me regular analog cable anymore.
Not exactly true, but it could be depending on your location. Here's the thread on the topic.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=90316

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks - I'm going to call Rogers and see what can be arranged... I am so attached to my TiVo that I am willing to forego HD and stick with Analog!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 10:28 AM

You don't have to forego HD. You can use the TiVo to record the analogue channels coming to your home (they still come in with the regular digital service, but they would not come in if you were in a "digital only" condo for example) and get an HD STB/PVR to take care of digital/HD if you want to spend the money. Also, I believe the TiVo has an input which could accept an output from a STB/PVR. See the following link on recording from a STB:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

This may all change in late 2011 or 2012 if Rogers goes digital only system wide, or in various parts of their system, as analogue gets phased out. The analogue deadline for broadcasters is late 2011 and some providers may use that as impetus to limit or delete analogue service.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 11:40 AM
Veteran

I think people can use Analog, but be aware this may eventually be not supported, and they may ask you to use a Digital STB down the road to convert signals to an analog output on channel 3/4 of the STB. or to RCA composite outputs. This has nothing to do with the OTA Digital switchover, but its happening the same time because cable BDU's are trying to phase out analogue broadcasting equiptment in favour of digital for cleaner signals and more capacity to the customer
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-06-28, 11:49 AM
Veteran

Just move to Port Perry or Uxbridge and use a TiVo HD
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-07-04, 09:02 AM
Rookie

I'm hooked!

I picked up my new TiVo on Friday and spent yesterday setting it up and playing with it. I understand why some people are willing to forgo HD just to keep using TiVo. At this price I might get another one.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-07-04, 02:40 PM

Quote:
This may all change in late 2011 or 2012 if Rogers goes digital only system wide, or in various parts of their system, as analogue gets phased out. The analogue deadline for broadcasters is late 2011 and some providers may use that as impetus to limit or delete analogue service.
Yes, I am thinking Cable Companies will use this deadline as an excuse to phase out analog, rent/sell STB's and free up bandwidth for more VOD services and/or improve existing HD offerings. They will claim, using some kind of government mandated digital "spin", they have to phase out the analog channels on cable when in fact they do not. To customers that complain loudly enough they will offer 1 free SD box. If you were sharing your analog signal on several TV's you will be forced to buy additional boxes. Or I could be all wrong: Free HD PVR's to all customers and a discount for long time loyalty!

Last edited by 57; 2010-07-04 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Proper quoting syntax added.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-07-05, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
I picked up my new TiVo on Friday and spent yesterday setting it up and playing with it. I understand why some people are willing to forgo HD just to keep using TiVo. At this price I might get another one.
Do you have Rogers Digital Cable or legacy Analog service?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-07-06, 07:07 AM
Rookie

I have "legacy" analogue basic. I had no problems keeping it through a recent move, or downgrading from digital VIP about a year ago. I plan to stay with it until Rogers forces me to change or I have to buy a new television.

Come to think about it, I suppose I have legacy computers, a legacy TiVo, and even a legacy car. Life is good on the trailing edge.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-07-28, 10:25 AM
Rookie

Donèt worry about analog Cable. The only way the will have to change it to difital only is when the CRTC orders them to do so.

The only reason they push digital so much itès because it costs less for them to maintain. I mean each time you upgrade with analog a technician is required not with digital.

And a heads up but last time i called them they were offering analog basic at 14.95 for 6 months so i guess itès not dead...hehe

Last edited by Cyclism; 2010-07-28 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-07-28, 09:18 PM
Veteran

I don't think it'll be the CRTC ordering them to do so. The competitive advantage of analog is dwindling, I can easily see Rogers only offering their basic package in analog and taking everything else digital.

Tags
analog , rogers , tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in