Rogers Quick Start Guide Discussion - Update link in Post 1 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

View Poll Results: What do you think of Rogers Quick Start Guide?
Excellent 4 1.32%
Somewhat Positive 15 4.95%
Somewhat Negative 44 14.52%
Terrible 236 77.89%
No Opinion 4 1.32%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Rogers Quick Start Guide Discussion - Update link in Post 1

My 3 cable boxes have the new guide today.

Quote:
Note: I have closed our old Quick Start Discussion thread since it was a bit off-topic and the discussion was more about what the future guide would be like.

Now that its here, I have created this new thread.
P.S. If you don't have the guide, please don't post, why don't I have the guide. Toronto will likely not get it for a few days.

Edit by 57 - see the following great news from Hugh:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...66#post1057866

H550, H890, H1, SA8300, SA8300HD, SA940, PS3 SLIM 250GB, Panny TH42PX60U, Prima PS3227, Sammy BDP1500, Toshiba HDA3

Last edited by hugh; 2010-01-14 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Add Note
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 05:42 PM
Rookie

Pain in the arse

Title says it. It's utterly useless, and causes an extra click to get to the guide itself (which is nothing to brag about in the first place).

Hi-tech. Way to go, Rogers!
post #3 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 06:06 PM
Veteran

I kind of like the Feature. Apparently, Toronto doesn't have it yet, but areas around it do to the north and east.

post #4 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 07:34 PM

Yeah Toronto's higher concentration of people makes it hard to handle in case of bugs... Always wise to roll out anything slowly.. But it will come soon enough. It just took about 6 months for Toronto to get the extra French HD channels after everyone outside the GTA got them... Seriously though, I'm sure they'll flip the switch on us by the weekend, unless something unexpected happens.
post #5 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 08:00 PM
Eug
Veteran

Well, this is damn annoying. My Harmony remote no longer works.

If you press GUIDE twice, it just takes you back to the show. If you press GUIDE twice on the original remote, you get the guide. Plus this quick start feature is stupid to begin with.

I'll attempt reprogramming my Harmony to see if that helps.
post #6 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Three Harmonys and three different types of Rogers STB's. All work correctly when I press the guide button.

H550, H890, H1, SA8300, SA8300HD, SA940, PS3 SLIM 250GB, Panny TH42PX60U, Prima PS3227, Sammy BDP1500, Toshiba HDA3
post #7 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 08:36 PM
Eug
Veteran

My other Harmony worked fine.

It turns out this Harmony's GUIDE button was programmed as MENU. If you press the MENU button, it takes you to the Quick Start. If you press it again, then it just goes back to the show. So, I changed the GUIDE button to GUIDE as it's supposed to be and now it works fine.

Too bad pressing the MENU button doesn't take you directly to the real guide. As far as I'm concerned, the Quick Start guide is just an annoying waste of time.
post #8 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-13, 08:55 PM

We have it in RichmondHill and it Looks slick!

I think the quick guide is clean and simple , well done Rogers! I like the grouping features and I think the graphical interface looks nice.
It's not the tru2way that I have seen, but not a bad start!
post #9 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynter28 View Post
I dont get the new menu for some reason. I have 3 different types of receivers but everyone else seems to have it working. Is there a specific receiver that you need to have it? I dont care either way for it but I would like to try it out.
The only boxes that it wont be working for at the moment are Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 and 2010, PACE 501 and PACE 551.

Most likely it hasn't launched in your area yet that's all.
post #10 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 11:13 AM

Location: Stouffville, Ont, Rogers Cable, SA8300HD, Samsung PN59D6500, Denon AVR-791
I have the new guide in Stouffville and it is annoying. I do not want another step to get to the IPG.

I called and complained yesterday that there is no option to turn this off and the first person stated as this is an upgrade they do not want an option to turn it off. My response is it seems more of a downgrade to me.

Anyways I have now programmed my harmony remote guide to press guide twice. The only change I need to make is to leave the guide I have to press exit now if I am not going to a channel.
post #11 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 11:29 AM

If I was in charge I would have gone with

click guide once -> IPG

click guide twice -> new quick start menu

or even better choice would be to tie it to a separate channel all together something along the lines of the how we have On Demand

but ofcourse that wouldnt work for Rogers because they want to force blast us with ad's on this new menu
post #12 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 11:34 AM
BJC

Sorry if these questions have been asked before....

-will I keep the recordings that are on my 8300HD when it gets updated?

-if I am recording something when the update comes, will the box immediately reboot (as I'm assuming it will need too) and I lose that recording or will it wait until the recording ends?
post #13 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 11:53 AM
Member #1

BJC, the firmware update should be seamless. the reason they stagger the role out is to deal with problems more effectively. Frankly, it's best to be later in the roll-out after any implementation issues are resolved.

post #14 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 12:34 PM
Eug
Veteran

Quote:
Anyways I have now programmed my harmony remote guide to press guide twice. The only change I need to make is to leave the guide I have to press exit now if I am not going to a channel.
What is the minimum delay you need between the two button presses, and what hardware do you have?

The more I use this the more I am annoyed.
post #15 of 554 (permalink) Old 2010-01-14, 02:11 PM

And to add to that Harmony question, is there any image flicker present when pressing Guide twice? In other words, if you press it send Guide twice, is there any sign of this Quick Start abomination showing up on screen *before* the proper guide loads?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in