Rogers VIP Digital: confused idiot doesn't have a clue. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Rogers VIP Digital: confused idiot doesn't have a clue.

The confused idiot? Yeah, that'd be me. Completely ignorant when it comes to cable TV. I hope you experts can help out. First post here, please be gentle.

I watch my TV on an old fashioned CRT, and don't want it any other way. The feed is Rogers analogue, something called "extended basic". My monthly bill is $64.79 including tax. The TV is hooked up to a TiVo Series 2 PVR. The TiVo is even better than sliced bread, and the remote will have to pried from my cold, dead hands before giving it up.

I was looking at the Rogers VIP Digital package at $64.97 plus tax and whatever other hidden rip off fees Rogers charges, so a few questions:

1. Can digital TV be viewed on more than one TV at a time, or does each TV require hardware? My analogue cable is split to various rooms around the house right now.

2. Does the monthly Rogers VIP Digital fee include hardware? Must one rent their equipment, or can equipment be purchased elsewhere?

3. The VIP package offers some channels in HD. I know the TiVo isn't compatible with HD, but can those HD channels still be viewed in, how do you say it, "regular" definition?

4. I also watch cable TV here on the PC with a Hauppauge 150 and GB-PVR. How would this be affected?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think HD on a CRT makes a big difference, does it? At this point, I'm more interested in the VIP expanded channel line up, rather than HD.

Thanks for any help you may provide.

Jayell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 04:38 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. Each TV requires a STB for digital channels. Digital VIP includes one free digital STB and up to 4 TV outlets at no additional charge.

2. You can rent or purchase. A digital (not HD) STB is pretty inexpensive on sale - under $100, sometimes it comes with programming credits to make the cost zero.

3. To watch HD, you'd need to rent or purchase an HD STB or PVR (more $), but the HD channels can be viewed on an SDTV. The PQ of the HD channels would be superior to the SD channels, even on your existing TV, although it would be 16:9 for true HD programming. Obviously it would not be HD since you don't currently have an HDTV. Here's the FAQ on Rogers HD offering:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76073

4. You could only watch analogue there, unless you connected a digital STB to the PC.

Please see the following post - useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

If you have the money, you should give some consideration to getting an HDTV - probably Plasma if you're used to a CRT...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 05:19 PM

What channels are still analog on Rogers cable?

Bill
My blog

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 06:09 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Most of the channels under 100.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the reply, 57.

So I'll need four SD STB's at a hundred bucks apiece? So much for that idea. I'll stick with analogue for as long as I can.

Thanks

Jayell
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-02, 09:30 PM

Switching to Digital does not mean that you loose Analog. You can get Digital with one terminal and hook up the other TVs to Analog cable for now as well. As you find that channels you want to watch are in the digital range, you will quickly purchase (or rent) additional boxes for your other sets.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-03, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Switching to Digital does not mean that you loose Analog.
Correct, I could have been clearer in my original item 1. You can still get all your analogue channels on any TVs that don't have a digital STB, however, as stated above, you may wish to pick up STBs as they're available on sale, or used.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-03, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Let me make sure I understand this.

If I go with the VIP package, I'll still have all my current channels on the three TV's without an STB? Is that right? Is this something that I'd have to set up with the Rogers CSR?

Also, when switching to digital, is it necessary for a Rogers technician to enter my home?

Thanks!

Jayell
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-03, 09:31 AM
Rookie

Yes they will want to come in.
When I called them to inquire, I just wanted analogue service, channels 2-70. Although they did not want to sell me that, I finally got a price from them on straight analogue service, with no STB. The price was about 14 dollars a month more than VIP package!
Pretty silly if you ask me; 65 per month for 69 channels, vs 48 per month for 230? I finally caved and took the cheaper deal, but I really don't like the brief delay when switching channels with the STB. Hopefully I'll get used to it.
Probably should be another thread, but does anyone know if there is a way to fix or shorten the delay time when switching channels?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-03, 10:18 AM

Quote:
is it necessary for a Rogers technician to enter my home?
Check with the CSR when you call. They usually bring the STB, but sometimes it can be picked up at the Rogers store and you can activate it when you get home.

Quote:
If I go with the VIP package, I'll still have all my current channels on the three TV's without an STB?
Correct. If there's a filter in your line to limit channels, then that would need to be removed.

Quote:
way to fix or shorten the delay time when switching channels?
If you're talking about an SD STB, the answer is no. It takes a bit longer to switch digital channels than analogue.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-03, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Okay, sounds pretty encouraging.

The only thing that's not clear to me is how the TiVo figures into it. Is there anyone out there using a TiVo with Rogers VIP? Again, the TiVo Series 2 PVR will not work with HD. Does this mean that I wouldn't be able to watch, for example, Speed Channel HD even though it's coming through an SD STB?

Mr. Tombiosis, how are you able to get the VIP package for $48? The Rogers site lists VIP at $64.97.

Are there any links for STB's available for purchase, other than from Rogers?

Thanks again, everyone!

Jayell
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-03, 11:33 AM

TiVo Connection - can use the analogue connection as before, but for digital channels must be connected to STB - see post below. If the TiVo doesn't allow for S-video or composite input, then you'll need to use the RF coax input, which would necessitate the use of the STB at all times I guess and you could record any channel - HD or SD, although the quality would be RF-coax SD quality in mono sound:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76077

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085 Cables & Connections

TiVo in Canada Thread for more info - ask TiVo questions there.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75013

STBs purchase - purchase used from a Rogers customer in good standing, or from Rogers, or authorized distributors - cannot be purchased from "outside":

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35032 Outside - no

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64632 Guidelines.

As for pricing, most new digital customers get a deal on Digital VIP for the first year. Basically with Rogers you get what you negotiate. See the many Rogers pricing threads.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-03, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Lots of useful information! Thanks a lot!

Jayell
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-03, 05:52 PM
Veteran

When I switched to digital service I was still able to record analog on my VCR. It was not necessary for a tech to come to my home. I just plugged the converter in.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2009-10-03, 06:04 PM

Using the first link in post 12, you can record analogue and digital on your VCR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in