Rogers channel realignment as of Aug. 18/25 (Post 91 for link) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Rogers channel realignment as of Aug. 18/25 (Post 91 for link)

For London and area:

channel ---- moves from channel ---- to channel

PBS Detroit (WTVS) ---- New ---- 62
Ontario Legislature ---- 105 ---- 129
TV5 Montreal ---- 103 ---- 130
Your World This Week ---- 59 ---- Remove
PBS Erie (WQLN) ---- 08 ---- Remove
NBC Erie (WICU) ---- 61 ---- Remove
ABC Erie (WJET) ---- 62 ---- Remove

YWTW will be an exclusive digital-only channel. What this mailer doesn't say is what will be on channels 8, 59 and 61 after August 18th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 06:47 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if CTS or even Sun TV move to Cable 8.
post #3 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 06:47 PM

I figured WUAB would of been gone too, I guess not.

post #4 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Maybe a more detailed list is coming, since all the channels that are moved have to be replaced w/ something else.

In the US, basic cable channels are placed very low on the dial w/ OTA. Like in LA you could have:

02 - LA CBS (KCBS)
03 - Nickelodeon
04 - LA NBC (KNBC)
05 - LA CW (KTLA)
06 - ESPN

Here, CTV News Channel on channel 17 is the first cable channel on the dial. Canadian OTA are spoiled IMHO when it comes to cable getting THE lowest channel placements, yet have the nerve to blackmail for fee-for-carriage. I wouldn't doubt if SUN TV would occupy the channel 8 slot.
post #5 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt if SUN TV would occupy the channel 8 slot.
Since you can now get them OTA in London I think it is mandated that they must be on Basic Cable.
post #6 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

This DH article is outright wrong:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/3902/279/

The CRTC mandates that a PBS station be available (as well as a ABC, CBS and NBC) on analog basic cable. For those basic analog cable subscribers, yes, you're losing either WQLN or WPBS, but you WON'T have to "buy/rent a STB (set top box)" and you WON'T have to subcribe to an expensive "VIP package". Basic cable will do (with or w/out a STB) and you'll now tune to channel 62 to see WTVS instead.
post #7 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-20, 11:08 PM

As a Londoner, I can't really get too worked up about losing those Erie PA channels. The quality of all of them has been evenly poor. In particular the signal quality on the NBC/ABC stations was always quite weak compared to the Detroit counterparts we also get. And the Erie PBS station seems to carry fewer good programs than its Detroit counterpart (I always thought PBS was PBS, but apparently not - for example the Erie station seems to play more Lawrence Welk than anything else!)

So overall, I won't miss them.
post #8 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 02:18 PM

Rogers realignment in Ottawa

WTVS from Detroit will be offered on digital channel 97 as an alternative to WPBS from Watertown on channel 64. Does this not mean subscribers to Rogers basic cable will need a digital converter to view PBS?
post #9 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 04:22 PM
Rookie

Exclamation WPBS

I just want Rogers to know,that if WPBS goes (my and my fathers most watched station) I go,and so does my 9 year (paid on time) subscriber history (VIP,etc).We have been with Rogers since 1997,but moved out west for a year plus,so we of course had no Rogers service.

Not all 'PBS' channels,and broadcasts are the same.Many air different shows,and WPBS is one of the best public broadcasting stations in North America,period.We have been told the Detroit PBS will fill the gap,but
that is a not a good thing.I am not interested in more Lawrence Welk eps!

I cant speak for my dad,but he has been playing with the idea of going with a sat setup this year,and this decision to dump WPBS,will certainly help in that regard.He has been a sub since 94.With zero breaks in between,over the years.

Yes,we have both,(politely) phoned and emailed Rogers to air our displeasure with this decision,but the more messages Rogers gets
the better.As well,the only thing either of us received was a 'form letter' thanking us for our time.

Signed : unhappy long time customer
post #10 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 04:31 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
WTVS from Detroit will be offered on digital channel 97 as an alternative to WPBS from Watertown on channel 64. Does this not mean subscribers to Rogers basic cable will need a digital converter to view PBS?
That would depend. They may remap it elsewhere on the dial, or 97 could also be available as analogue. In Toronto we have some channels around 100 that are analogue for example. At this point it's pure speculation, however, one PBS channel will be available on Basic analogue, since I believe it's a "must carry".

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #11 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 04:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
No, cable channel 97 is an analog channel that is located, along with 95-99 within and just above the FM boradcast band, between cable channels 6 and 14.

AFAIK, all modern TVs with cable-channel aware tuners should have no problem with 97.
post #12 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 07:17 PM

Ottawa Rogers Re-alignment

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2003/db2003-579.htm
is a very interesting read.

It says, in part, Rogers may:
"substitute, at its option, either the signal of WTVS (PBS) Detroit, Michigan or WNED-TV (PBS) Buffalo, New York for the signal of WPBS-TV (PBS) Watertown, New York, in the event of signal quality problems. The selection of WTVS or WNED-TV would be governed by the ability to match programming with WPBS-TV."

I have never had signal problems with WPBS or heard of anyone who has. It may well be the channel shuffle is profit driven and may not, in fact, be in compliance with the CRTC ruling.

VisionTV, which is not mentioned in the CRTC ruling, was on channel 61 in Ottawa, is being moved to channel 95. Phil Hartling, Rogers VP of Customer Services, noted in his letter that this too will also require a subscription to Rogers digital service.

Perhaps hoping I might not complain, Rogers has offered me two digital converters and a one-year VIP subscription at the same price as "extended basic" coverage which gave me channels up to 70.
post #13 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-21, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

With all due respect, I think you're very much incorrect.

Do an "auto-channel scan" on your analog TV. I did w/ the spare TV (no STB) in the spare bedroom. Here in London, it will go blah, blah, blah ...61 (NBC Erie), 62 (ABC Erie), 63 (Treehouse) then skips and delete channels up to 70 (APTN). As it goes further auto-scanning, it deletes some channel in the VIP section (80s and 90s requiring a STB; Game TV, multi-channel SportsNet, etc.) except for TVA, RDI, CPAC and goes up to the early 100s where you have Ont. Leg. Net., TV5, etc.

Analog TV's have a tuner that goes up to 125. But what's weird is Ont. Leg. Net. being on channel 129 and TV5 being on channel 130. That means those are two cases where you WOULD need a digital box to receive them. Yet Phil Hartling's letter doesn't say anything about requiring analog cable subscribers get a STB for some channel changes.
post #14 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-22, 08:30 AM

Ottawa Rogers Re-alignment

Rogers "basic extended" cable here in Ottawa stops at ch 70. Scans between 70 and 125 yield nothing.

Phil Hartling, the VP of Customer Services, devotes a full paragaraph to the advantages of digital services but apologizes for only one channel change in his letter to Ottawa customers which he admits will require a digital subscription.

Why would they offer me two converters and a VIP subscription for a year at no increased charge if it wasn't necessary?

Last edited by Stan F; 2009-07-22 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Expanded thought
post #15 of 158 (permalink) Old 2009-07-22, 12:38 PM

Another ulterior motive here is to drive up the number/percentage of digital subscribers. Even if you are getting the service for free you are counted as a digital subscriber and that gets Rogers closer to the point where they can drop the analog service. In the long run it may be more cost effective to give away some digital STB rentals now so that they drive the numbers higher and drop analog sooner.

LONSat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in