Shaw 2008 New Channels Discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-03, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Shaw 2008 New Channels Discussion

New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2008.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Shaw in 2008 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Shaw has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-12, 12:01 AM

I am thinking with all the calls they get and the programming woes they encountered in putting hockey games in ch 298, I speculate regional Sportsnet HD would get added into the lineup.
post #3 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 08:09 PM

Any one hear anything about The Score HD coming to Shaw or how about Oasis HD?

Best regards,

Paul

post #4 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-22, 08:43 PM

I was just wondering the same thing about the Score HD. WWE RAW is now broadcasting in HD...
post #5 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 12:27 AM

I know guys I emailed SHAW and got the same response we will pass your request to the programming department but If we want it bad enough I suggest you guys do the same. I emailed starchoice about them offering TheScore HD and they said its on a short list of HD channels coming in the next few months and If starchoice adds the channel it may come to SHAW as well
post #6 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 11:53 AM

More importantly in the equation is a new channel has to be available on Starchoice, before Shaw has the means to add it. No Starchoice = no shaw.

But just because Starchoice has a channel, it does not mean Shaw will carry it.

Examples:
GameTV (the Canadian one)
Military TV
Sex TV
All The French Channels in HD

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #7 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet View Post
More importantly in the equation is a new channel has to be available on Starchoice, before Shaw has the means to add it. No Starchoice = no shaw.

But just because Starchoice has a channel, it does not mean Shaw will carry it.

Examples:
GameTV (the Canadian one)
Military TV
Sex TV
All The French Channels in HD
That's close but not competely true, what it has to be is to be on Shaw Broadcast Services list. The difference is that while Starchoice customers have access to only Ku-band channels Shaw Broadcast Services customers have access to C-Band channels as well (only a few US time shift channels are on C-Band).
post #8 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-23, 04:38 PM
Veteran

There was rumors of Speed HD coming to *C around Feb 1. Check the Speed thread.
Also, I think The Score is trying to be a must carry in HD. So who knows.
post #9 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-29, 11:44 AM

The CS that I spoke with told me that Global HD is coming to Vancouver.
post #10 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-29, 06:44 PM
Veteran

That's bad news. Really bad news. Global is aggressive with simsubs, so Vancouver would lose even more feeds from the US.

In terms of original programming, Global hardly adds anything. With that in mind, their addition to the lineup could be considered a waste of bandwidth (maybe it explains the worsened picture quality others have reported in the lower mainland...Shaw would test a new channel before making it public...).

Shaw may have no choice in Vancouver if Global is broadcasting over-the-air (OTA) HD in Vancouver. Hopefully Shaw holds back on distributing the channel to the rest of us. We don't need a further hit to picture quality for minimal programming gain.

My .02 anyway.
post #11 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-29, 07:05 PM

Until Global is OTA HD in Alberta, this is not an issue outside of Vancouver (except for waste of bandwidth).
Shaw/ *C does not simsub unless the channel is available locally OTA.

I'm surprised that Global Calgary is not in HD, since it was reported in last year superbowl thread that all of global's HD (including Toronto) gets handled by the satellite farm located across from the Calgary Herald building on Centre Ave and Manning Road NE (near Deerfoot & Memorial). Are the Asper's so cheap they can't run the fibre the 32 blocks to the Shaw Palace on Barlow and 32nd... or is the Shaw's disdain for Global so high that they don't want it at any cost, unless legislated to do so?

I know they have no interest in putting up an HD OTA stick in Cowtown, but aren't Global Calgary's studios HD ready?
The only original programming I watch on Global is the morning news.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #12 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 12:18 AM
Veteran

They showed City TV's cameras today...all 4:3 SD...not even 16x9.
I thought that City would have been in more of a position to go HD in Calgary, then CTV then Global then the still Mono broadcasting CBC.
post #13 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 09:45 PM

I'm from Edmonton and I believe CityTV Edmonton has a lot in common with CityTV Calgary, and when I think of CityTV here I think of that station CHUM neglected and ran into the ground from the glory days of a-channel. They fired news anchors and droped the 6:00 news for months only to replace it with 'your city'. That being said rogers owns it now and I think rogers has much better plans for that TV station.

I think CTV is probably in the best position in edmonton to go HD first, then global would probably be second. I'm not sure whats happening behind the scenes at any of these stations though and I don't know what rogers has in plan for CityTV but I'm waiting to see.

Its kind of an off topic post but I just felt I disagreed with you and I kind of wanted to write my opinion.
post #14 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-30, 10:02 PM
Veteran

The minute they start broadcasting HD locally, you'll be subjected to HD simsubs. Are you sure that's something you want?
post #15 of 371 (permalink) Old 2008-01-31, 04:17 AM

I'm gray on the subject, I would love local news in HD. The news is a large part of my tv viewing day, I'm not much to watch TV series. As long as the same TV shows are aired in the same quality that the other stations would air it I'm not too against it. I'm not in a hurry to see my local stations go HD though. It sounds like one of the worst part of simsubbing is what people say about GlobalHD and their super bowl simsubbing.

I was just kind of writing about my thoughts on CityTV and why I believe they would probably be the last station in my book to go HD. Although like i mentioned in my previous post. Maybe Rogers has much better plans for the station than CHUM did, ever since the name change the station went downhill and has never ever regained its previous status it once held as A-Channel. That being said, HD would benefit Breakfast Television, their flagship morning show. (I don't watch it, I'm a global morning guy, but from what I understand BT is solid.)

I understand that I may not have all my facts straight, but I'm writing it the way I understand it, feel free to correct me.
Closed Thread

Tags
game tv , hbo canada , shaw , tsn2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in