My HD channels don't work anymore. - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-28, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

I guess i give the 1080 a try, but if 720 didn't work, i don't know why 1080 would.

The Cable company came by in 2009 and replaced the old cable with a new one, so the cable is not the issue.

What is the lifespan of the average HD box, and why does it break down after many years?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-28, 11:05 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. Just because...

2. 2009 is 8 years ago. Anything could have happened - a loose connection, etc.

3. A set top box will usually last a long time - say 10 years +, however, that's not to say it couldn't fail earlier or last longer. Heat is a killer for electronics, so make sure your boxes are well ventillated and have lots of room around them for air circulation. Also if you smoke or have pets or have a dusty home, this can shorten lifespan due to heat buildup if the boxes are not kept clean, etc. PVRs usually fail due to a hard drive failure, but that also depends on how much recording you do. Usually around 3-4 years if you're a heavy user. I've got some PVRs that lasted 10 years though with light use.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-28, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy1 View Post
New development.....

I tried accessing shaw on demand and it wouldn't let me (error 33417). I tried accessing SOD on the other box and It worked just fine. I hardly ever use SOD so it's not a big deal. Based on this information I'm now pretty sure it's the box's fault and not the TV's fault.
According to an old post this code is specific to loading background graphics. (Link) My guess is your Shaw box doesn't have enough memory to load the fancy graphics VOD menu that Shaw started using a few years ago. If VOD was working on this box until recently, it could be a fault with that box as you suggested. A bad cable, an extra splitter or low signal quality can also cause general VOD issues.

Quote:
I just turned to channel 999 and theres a number on the bottom. What does this number mean. Mine says 68.
I think that is the number of the Shaw node your house is connected to. There may be up to 1,000 homes in your neighbourhood connected to the same node.

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-06-29 at 09:06 AM. Reason: grammer

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-28, 04:19 PM

^

The number that appears on channel 999 is used to test tune and identify the Shaw On Demand channel group which must match our internal tools. When we troubleshoot if the number the customer see's Vs what we see is different (between the cable box and our internal tools) Shaw on Demand won't work often giving us an error number at our end which we can relate to a root cause.
If the numbers do not match then it is most likely related to either work being performed on the server the cable box is trying to communicate or a signal issue from us to the box ( along that path somewhere and could be something as simple and a splitter has gone).

The number is unrelated to the number of customers in your neighbourhood on your node. That number is actually way less than the number above, more like around a quarter of that or less.

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.

Last edited by Shaw Champ; 2017-06-28 at 08:42 PM.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-28, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

I looked for the model of the box. Found nothing but a lot of bar codes, but I saw something that said DCT 6200/2000, is this what you need to know?

too busy now, I'll be back later. I have time to try the 1080 experiment tonight too
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-29, 12:43 AM

@Classy1 that cable box being an older model hasn't had access to Video on Demand for sometime now. https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1048
I'll be happy to arrange a free swap for you to a new one. If you are interested just let me know.

Hardware information on your cable box - https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1272

post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-29, 02:19 AM

@Shaw Champ thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding on my last post. I just reread it and it didn't make any sense. I have to stop posting when I'm overtired.

You have the wrong link for hardware information. The correct link for the DCT6200 is here:
https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1267
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-29, 03:44 AM Thread Starter

Actually I was able to access SOD last week with the box.

Tried 1080....didn't work, tried 720 again...didn't work either, so I'll stick with 480

I unplugged all the cables again for half an hour, I'll see what happens.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-29, 11:22 AM
Veteran

Don't know if it's been done yet but resetting the box back to factory defaults might be worth a try. I've seen it fix issues where firmware updates or something else messed up non-volatile memory. Don't know how it's done on that box but chances are it's in one of 57's excellent FAQs in the 57's Home Theatre FAQ's.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-29, 05:36 PM
Rookie

Earlier this year all Shaw subscribers received a letter notifying them that Shaw is in the process of upgrading 'nearly all channels' to HD and that 'some of your older HD equipment will not be fully compatible with their upgraded network' and will therefore need replacing.

Said upgrades are/were scheduled to occur between April 19 and October 31st. The same notice stated you can determine if your unit will be compatible simply by tuning to channel 988.

In my case, a grey Motorola 500 series will become obsolete with only my 600 series units surviving.

Not sure if this is what behind your problem, I would have thought you'd lose both video and audio once a channel is migrated, but thought it worth mentioning.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-29, 05:42 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
@Diamonds : Your post relates to the changes occurring at Shaw Direct (Satellite). This thread is regarding Shaw Cable.

The Shaw Direct Links are below:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-s...-post-1-a.html

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-s...activated.html

In post 36 @Shaw Champ has already stated that the OP can get the older box exchanged. That's what I would do.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-29, 07:26 PM
Rookie

Thanks for pointing this out, I hadn't spotted this!
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-29, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dave View Post

You have the wrong link for hardware information. The correct link for the DCT6200 is here:
https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1267
Ahhh thank you! I just saw the 2000 part after.

@Classy1 Hi, just wanted to say the offer stands whenever you want. We could have a tech come by for a swap out whatever day/time suits you.

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 2017-06-30, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Woke up this morning and tried SOD....it worked fine. Back to bizzaro world for me I guess.

I think i'm just about done on this thread.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys, you've been great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in