Shaw BlueSky TV Discussions - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-04-27, 06:23 PM

I would consider getting this if I could continue to use some of the older boxes in my house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-04-28, 02:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike10 View Post
I would consider getting this if I could continue to use some of the older boxes in my house
Sadly that's unlikely to happen since the BlueSky setup uses a completely different billing system.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk
post #78 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-05-22, 11:25 PM

For Winnipeg subscribers, I've noticed that the new BlueSky TV boxes do not have the Environment Canada Weather channel in their lineup.

post #79 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-06-16, 01:32 AM

A Shaw employee told me they plan to roll out integrated Netflix access on the Bluesky platform shortly. Comcast already has this in the U.S. so it's relatively simple to port it to Shaw.
BGY11 likes this.
post #80 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-06-17, 01:07 AM

Sure wish Shaw would concentrate more on giving us the channels we want, rather than trying to extract more money from our wallets for new-fangled equipment and higher monthly fees.
Nanuuk, meshmellow, andyk and 1 others like this.
post #81 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-06-17, 11:30 AM

That's exactly why I went to Telus. I waited far too long and wasted my time on the ridiculous "Channel Request Form". I saw no advantage to Blue Sky TV, since it still wasn't going to give me the HD channels I wanted and had requested for years, even with letters to the head office.
ShawUser, RickyCV and buckycat like this.

Telus 4K PVR & 2 wireless boxes; switched from Shaw for more HD and 4K channels, 3 AppleTVs
post #82 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-06-17, 01:52 PM
Veteran

I really just don't get why Shaw is not interested in having a competitive HD channel line-up for their cable systems. They never have. They have improved Shaw Direct's quite a bit over the past few years but for whatever reason they aren't interested in adding anything to their cable systems. Has there even been an HD channel addition in the last year?

I don't get why at the very least they don't carry CTV News Channel HD, E! HD, Teletoon HD, Cartoon Network HD, Family Jr HD, ABC Spark HD, Fight Network HD, beIN Sports HD, TCM HD, NBA TV Canada HD. This would at least bring them on par with Shaw Direct English specialty channels.

Additionally, what is to stop them from launching these channels which will all be carried by Shaw Direct later this year.

MTV HD, Spike HD, CMT HD, Gusto HD, NFL Network HD, WPIX HD, Crime + Investigation HD, OWN HD and Travel + Escape HD.
andyk and dm_4u like this.
post #83 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-06-19, 09:14 AM
Veteran

Yes I've had this conversation with Shaw reps in my area and they don't get it.

I would switch except that I get way more HD channels from Bell than Shaw offers...it's not even close and the reps don't get it.

They keep saying how great their hardware is...and it may be (although talking to my remote really is not a priority of mine)...I just wish they'd add more HD channels or at least enough to be competitive.
post #84 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-07-17, 12:03 PM

i too was wondering why it was taking so long and why there are still channels not HD on Shaw but are on other BDU. A reply i got said that Shaw will be all HD by 2019. They are slowly moving to all HD that will be in 3 phases.

"In April 2017 Shaw Broadcast will begin transitioning all MPEG-2 satellite signals to MPEG-4. Conversions will occur in three phases over three years from approximately April to October of 2017, 2018 and 2019. Our objective is to be 100% MPEG-4 by the Fall of 2019.

We are transitioning to MPEG-4 because the legacy MPEG-2 encoding equipment is reaching End of Support status. This means that within the next few years the MPEG-2 encoding equipment used by Shaw Broadcast will no longer be able to be supported or repaired. Upgrading to current generation MPEG-4 equipment allows our customers to continue to broadcast television signals for distribution."

About Shaw Broadcast Services

On a Bluesky related note. Anyone that is switching from regular Shaw to Bluesky. Make sure they migrate your email account over to the new system. Somehow they missed it for me. So one month to the day i switched my email stopped working. Was explained to me that the old account goes dormant so after 30 days the system put the old account in dormant status. A quick chat session with Shaw on Sunday morning got things up and running again.
post #85 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-07-17, 01:01 PM

Changes to Shaw Direct do not equate to cable

See lack of E! HD on Cable and lack of Cooking Channel HD on Sat.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #86 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-10-03, 02:06 AM
Veteran

Some updates:

- New "Free to Me" guide option to show only subscribed channels

- Integrated Netflix support

- Fantasy football app

- Voice Guidance Speech Rate adjustments (yes, for those who'd have a need for voice guidance, this is a fairly big deal as the default was very slow)

- "What's this song?" - a command that pretty much does what it sounds like. Much like Shazam on a phone, it obviously works best when a clear portion of audio is playing without any dialog and such.

There might be other little things, but those are the main ones from what I've seen or been told about.
post #87 of 100 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 03:45 PM
Rookie

Bluesky Picture Quality?

I've noticed on the Shaw Community board, a number of people have complained about some loss of picture quality when they "upgraded" to Bluesky. What's the feedback from folks here? I still have my Motorola PVR etc.
jddesigned likes this.
post #88 of 100 (permalink) Old 2018-01-21, 06:02 PM
Veteran

I can't say for sure as it's been almost a year since I had one of the other boxes, so hopefully someone else can chime in

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #89 of 100 (permalink) Old 2018-01-29, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheffip View Post
I've noticed on the Shaw Community board, a number of people have complained about some loss of picture quality when they "upgraded" to Bluesky. What's the feedback from folks here? I still have my Motorola PVR etc.
I've been posting on Shaw forums about picture quality since switching this month. I've been on a Motorola DCX3400 for years and find BlueSky almost a downgrade in picture quality.

I see more pixelation here and there than ever before. Everything looks like it's been slapped with a heavy handed noise reduction, things in the background are much smoother now and less noisy, all at the expense of what should be in focus. Dark scenes are more blotchy then on my Moto dcx3400, with more crawling and less smooth transitions. I would gladly take back slight gradient stepping and a hint of background noise for clearer detail. Motion is not handled decent but not what I'd consider smooth. Most of the time everything just feels a touch out of focus like looking at an oil painting.

I'm starting to think this is just Shaw's new concept of what HD looks like, boost a few settings (contrast/colour) to look punchy, slap some heavy handed noise reduction on it and people accept it as that's what HD is. I had the senior tech out who did some stuff and it improved a touch, but we're far from acceptable picture quality.

Pioneer 4280HD | Shaw Motorola DCX3400 | Sony PS4 | Denon AVR-2112CI
post #90 of 100 (permalink) Old 2018-01-29, 11:47 PM
Rookie

I have had BlueSky for 6 months, going from the same Motorola you had and an LG TV. I am very happy and have noticed no downgrading in any way and as far as user friendly, I love it!

Tags
bluesky negatives , bluesky positives , bluesky tv , shaw cable , xg1 , xg1v3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in