Shaw BlueSky TV Discussions - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-01-30, 05:56 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
I honestly don't know but I would expect that you can just set recordings until you have more set than the maximum number of tuners you have for a given time slot. They are all on the same MoCA network, I believe, so all recordings can be both set and accessed from any TV connected with either a Gateway or Portal.

If you have one box, you can record a max of 6 programs. 2 boxes, 12 programs and 3 boxes, 18 programs. This is purely speculation on my part but if the 500GB of storage is cumulative then one would think the number of tuners would be, also. I do realize there is a difference between the tuners and the hard drive storage but I find it hard to believe the tuners wouldn't be cumulative too.

The fact that the system is limited to only 4 Portals per Box(Gateway) makes me think they have taken one of the MoCA channels to use for communication between the tuner boxes. MoCA is supposed to handle many more 'devices' but who knows what limitations Shaw is putting on the system to ensure better performance.

Shaw does try to provide a 'quality' service so at least they are 'trying'. I know I don't usually say nice things about them but that is the best I can do here. Still, I'm not anywhere near ready to jump to the 'latest and greatest' offering given all the drawbacks so far.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.

Last edited by Jetranger; 2017-01-31 at 12:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-02, 12:09 AM

Looking at the premium package, it doesn't seem to offer much.

Is there HBO no The Movie Network?

And can anyone answer If there's finally NFL network in HD?
post #48 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-02, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

BlueSky TV is now available in Vancouver - https://newsroom.shaw.ca/materialDet...lID=6442451939

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.

post #49 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-02, 12:52 PM

^^
HBO is extra.
post #50 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-04, 07:08 PM
Rookie

I talked to someone on shaw's chat service yesterday about upgrading. I presently have an XG1 & portal plus home phone and Internet 150. I've got some loyalty credits on my account as well. I was told that I'd lose all the credits including the one on my phone which when put on my account I was told was for life. Plus I'd still be paying more for the same channels and internet speed. Shawchamp? Is this in fact true? I would love to upgrade however this policy of cancelling credits sure isn't going to win much loyalty. Has anyone else been told the same?
post #51 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-04, 07:25 PM

I believe that is normal With Shaw that you"may" lose grandfathered items from your account if you make changes. Hasn't happened to me but I've seen talk about it on forums.
post #52 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-04, 07:49 PM

I have been stuck on high speed 20 for a long time because if I change it all of my TV stuff will end up costing a lot more
post #53 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-04, 07:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckycat View Post
I believe that is normal With Shaw that you"may" lose grandfathered items from your account if you make changes. Hasn't happened to me but I've seen talk about it on forums.
I was told I would lose everything as I had to be moved over to their "bluesky system" It makes it sound like you are treated separately from the legacy system. Maybe this is true I don't know.
post #54 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-05, 11:38 AM

I am also stuck for life with High Speed 10, as I don't want to lose my grandfathered $22 Best of HD pricing.
Now that my kids are getting older and watching Netflix, I seem to be going over my monthly 150GB cap. I wonder what will happen, because I would love to increase my speed to at least 30.
Currently with Best of HD, Personal TV + HS 10, and Basic Home Phone I'm at $148 + GST a month. Looking back since 2012, my bill has creeped up from $110/ month to $155, all with the same plan.
Maybe it is time to call the loyalty department.
I've been with Shaw since Jan 2000. It is not stretch to say I've paid them over $25,000 since then.
And I bought $3000 in digital boxes, PVRs, Gateways, modems from them over the years.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #55 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-05, 11:46 AM

^ I'm on the best of HD as well as a lifetime equipment warranty grandfathered in with the now defunct Shaw friends so I can't make any changes either. Telus is currently upgrading my neighbourhood so I'm going to see what they have to offer when complete.
post #56 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-05, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Hi @Jords1981 Shaw BlueSky TV does indeed operate on a different back end. This includes a complete overhaul of the way our provisioning of services works and something which has been built over the past many years. This new system also operates and aligns on an advanced billing system. Only certain packages will work on the new system through design.

So when someone moves from one system to another grandfathered packages can't be moved over. This includes legacy video equipment (anything older than BlueSky TV equipment). Unfortunately, to your point, this means we can't shift over older discounts/ grandfathered loyalty offers you had before. However, maybe there are some things we can do / present in cases like yours. If you wish, feel free to drop me a message and I can organize a follow up call to see what we can do/ explore for you. @buckycat @magnet @mike10 same for you guys too. We're happy to explore options for you if you want.

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
post #57 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-05, 04:55 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
Shaw Champ can really help as he's helped me a lot in the past, including when I last made changes this past fall. Still, if you can hang on a while longer, things are bound to get better. Competition is good for customers.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #58 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-06, 12:07 PM

Netflix On BlueSky

Wonder if Shaw will be offering Netflix on the BlueSky platform. There was a post, that has since been deleted about it on the official Shaw forum.

Quote:
Internet is not technically required as the XG1v3 boxes have their own modem for any streaming (VOD) they need. to make Internet 150 mandatory for anyone asking for Bluesky is not unlike Telus requiring Internet if you have their TV service. Most of this is not required by any technical means right now but as more and more services like Netflix get integrated and the future roadmap of the product rolls out that could change, being on Internet 150 means you are ready for any change made to the system with the least amount of issues or service calls required
post #59 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-07, 08:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw Champ View Post
Hi @Jords1981 Shaw BlueSky TV does indeed operate on a different back end. This includes a complete overhaul of the way our provisioning of services works and something which has been built over the past many years. This new system also operates and aligns on an advanced billing system. Only certain packages will work on the new system through design.

So when someone moves from one system to another grandfathered packages can't be moved over. This includes legacy video equipment (anything older than BlueSky TV equipment). Unfortunately, to your point, this means we can't shift over older discounts/ grandfathered loyalty offers you had before. However, maybe there are some things we can do / present in cases like yours. If you wish, feel free to drop me a message and I can organize a follow up call to see what we can do/ explore for you. @buckycat @magnet @mike10 same for you guys too. We're happy to explore options for you if you want.
I thank you for your reply Shaw Champ and I will definitely send you a dm.
post #60 of 100 (permalink) Old 2017-02-13, 03:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet View Post
I am also stuck for life with High Speed 10, as I don't want to lose my grandfathered $22 Best of HD pricing.
Now that my kids are getting older and watching Netflix, I seem to be going over my monthly 150GB cap. I wonder what will happen, because I would love to increase my speed to at least 30.
Currently with Best of HD, Personal TV + HS 10, and Basic Home Phone I'm at $148 + GST a month. Looking back since 2012, my bill has creeped up from $110/ month to $155, all with the same plan.
Maybe it is time to call the loyalty department.
I've been with Shaw since Jan 2000. It is not stretch to say I've paid them over $25,000 since then.
And I bought $3000 in digital boxes, PVRs, Gateways, modems from them over the years.
For what it's worth, I was able get Internet 150 on my account without losing my grandfathered $22 Best of HD since it's a separate billing item. I was very clear throughout the process that I was not interested in upgrading if it would affect my Best of HD discount. Ended up with a cheaper monthly bill vs what I was paying for BB50 before.

Tags
bluesky negatives , bluesky positives , bluesky tv , shaw cable , xg1 , xg1v3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in