Shaw BlueSky TV Discussions - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 12:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlStatic View Post
And nobody discusses that its $200 for Tv+Internet... Isnt that a bit expensive??

That's going to be after two years. Considering it's Internet 150 (their fastest right now) + a premium TV package, it's not quite as horrible as it first seems.

That said, considering most people probably don't need Internet 150 it does indeed make it more expensive than it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 04:59 PM

^ The reduced price $100 is only for new customers. Existing customers get it for $173 a month for a two year contract. After that its $208 a month.
post #33 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-16, 05:41 PM
Veteran

Introducing Shaw BlueSky TV

Shaw quoted me $129 for the first year. Maybe it's because I'm already on the Internet 150 plan for $79 for two years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #34 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-26, 10:47 PM
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
Just to clarify the info in post #18 on how many boxes you can have: each main unit has 500GB of storage and 3 of these may be connected together to provide a total of 1.5TB of storage. Each main unit in this configuration can support 3 Portals so a maximum of 9 Portals could be added. This arrangement would then support a total of 12 TVs. The big bonus of having 3 main units is you would then have 18 Tuners! I got confirmation on this today.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #35 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-27, 01:17 PM

^
$ 208.00/month - 1 tuner & two portals
$ 30.00/month - 2 extra tuners
$ $35.00/month - 7 portals

$273.00/month
post #36 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-27, 02:08 PM

Wow hey, slow down a little.. "Best Thing to Happen to Your TV Since Colour", Don't you think it's too big a sentence? What do you mean by "Colour"? Do you mean the time when people used to watch black and white television? I hope not,,,
post #37 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-27, 06:15 PM
Veteran

buckycat,

For clarity; by 'Tuner' you mean 'Gateway' and each Gateway box has 6 channel tuners so you can record as many as 6 programs at the same time.

These Gateway boxes are the same hardware that is currently being offered by Shaw under the XG1 name but have different firmware on them. The firmware can't be loaded in the field for some reason so it does require an equipment swap if you have a current 'Gateway' system and want to 'move up' to the BlueSky service.

Pricing should get better in the months to come so a word to the wise; good things come to those who wait.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #38 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-27, 07:01 PM

^ Yeah Tuner = Gateway, should have been clearer. I'm still on the original gateway and portal that I got during the Secret Santa sale for I think $78 years ago.
post #39 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-30, 03:48 PM

Quote:
These Gateway boxes are the same hardware that is currently being offered by Shaw under the XG1 name but have different firmware on them. The firmware can't be loaded in the field for some reason so it does require an equipment swap if you have a current 'Gateway' system and want to 'move up' to the BlueSky service.
I asked on the Shaw forum and they claim the equipment is different. I'm going with you on this Jetranger, you seem to be more informed than many when it comes to all things Shaw.

https://community.shaw.ca/message/140173
post #40 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-30, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Hello,

The equipment is different. The BlueSky is XG1v3 "RDK". There is an RDK logo in red on the back. At this point in time we're exploring other methods and mechanics of loading software on. The RDK ones are all X1 guides the Gateways are all MOXI guide. Right now we can't go to someones home and just tell the box to switch over it's tired to the hardware.

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
post #41 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-30, 04:37 PM

Well I guess Jetranger has got be wrong occasionally. LOL
post #42 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-30, 05:34 PM
Veteran

Lol. I only know what I'm told and given there are different people telling me different things, who knows what is actually true. From what I understand, it's only the firmware that is different, the hardware is the same. But what do I know. I guess a little red sticker changes the hardware enough to allow a different software installation.

post #43 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-30, 05:52 PM
Veteran

I see that there is a note on one of the pages in that Shaw forum link that states you can connect 3 Boxes for a total of 12 tuners to make as many as 12 simultaneous recordings. If you can do 6 recordings per box, the last time I did the math, 3x6=18. So, either I'm wrong or Shaw is wrong. Which is it?

Given Shaw's track record, I think I stand a pretty good chance. If not, I need to brush up on the 'new math', it would seem.

post #44 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-30, 06:02 PM

The "new" math confuses me as well.
post #45 of 101 (permalink) Old 2017-01-30, 06:10 PM

What I want to know if you three boxes do you access them all separately or can you set up recordings etc all from one?

Tags
bluesky negatives , bluesky positives , bluesky tv , shaw cable , xg1 , xg1v3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in