Shaw Gateway equipment? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-03-17, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Question Shaw Gateway equipment?

Last time I bought HD equipment from shaw was about 7 years ago (grey Motorola box)

Back then there were only 2 choices. 1) the HD box with no pvr. 2) the HD box with a pvr.

I am looking to upgrade to a new box. I looked on the website and noticed that a lot has changed.

There's a normal HD box at $138 does that box include pvr and can I get channels which require mpeg4.

I also noticed that there's a piece of equipment called a gateway portal at the exact same price. What's the difference between this piece of equipment and the standard HD box above.

Finally, the 3rd piece of equipment is the gateway pvr. Is this the only box that offers pvr, and why is this piece of equipment more expensive than everyone else.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-03-17, 10:35 PM
Veteran

Gateway PVR is your main PVR. The Portal are just receivers that can view recordings on different TVs. You need a portal for each TV.

The other HD box is not a PVR. It is just a HD box. You can't get a HD PVR for 138.

The only HDPVRs that are not part of the Gateway system are not sold by Shaw anymore. DCX3510-M is the last non-Gateway PVR. You can get them from Big Box stores for 250. You can also buy used HDPVRs off sites like Kijiji. Make sure you get the serial number before even going to pay for it and contact Shaw so that it can be sold and if the box is fine, get the person to call Shaw to get it released from their account. There are also Motorola DCX3400, Pace Summit 758D with a PVR Expanderand a Pace Tahoe 775D. These are all mpeg4 boxes.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-03-17, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

I own 2 tvs

Can I buy one gateway pvr for one of my tvs and buy a portal for my 2nd tv or do I have to buy one gateway pvr and 2 portals for both of my tvs

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-03-17, 11:56 PM
Veteran

I have no idea since I don't have Shaw. What does it say when you choose online?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-03-18, 12:59 AM

You buy the Gateway PVR for one tv and a portal for each additional tv.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-03-18, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

If i buy a portal for my 2nd tv, can i set up recordings on that 2nd portal, or can i only set up recordings using the gateway PVR?

If I have a portal for my 2nd tv, then i'm assuming that I don't have to buy an additional HD TV Box for the 2nd tv right? I'm assuming that the portal for my 2nd TV also acts as an HDTV box right?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-03-18, 02:26 AM
Veteran

The new gateway is also aportal, so one gateway, one portal does it. You can do all programming/recording from either. Both have the same function. gateway has a drive to record on and more processing power to do it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2016-03-18, 05:12 PM

how about renting the gateway and portal?

I upgraded a few months ago and decided not to purchase the equipment this time. I pay around $20/month for the newest gateway pvr and one portal. This is not the 'rent to own' plan. I'm just renting month by month. If Shaw comes out with something new, they will come and get this one and replace it with the newest. Yes, it costs a bit more than buying outright but you'd have to keep it for a couple of years. Also, no hassle when trying to get rid of 'old' equipment. Renting isn't something I'd usually do, but in this instance it works fantastic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in