Shaw BlueCurve TV App For Apple & Android (Freerange) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
Has anyone else noticed the message on the bottom of the 'Settings' page?

This has to be a nod from Comcast meaning it is X1, or at least very closely related.

Oh, and only the 14th iteration, so far.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 02:54 PM

Btw this app works for Shaw Direct as well. Didn't know it existed but there is a "tab" to login with your Shaw Direct account number.

LONSat
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 02:59 PM

Kudos to Shaw on a very comprehensive FAQ. It's a little repetitive, but that means if you jump to a specific question, you will likely see all the relevant info.

You can only watch content included in your TV subscription.

Pause and rewind is available for all on-demand networks, fast-forward is available for most. You cannot pause, rewind or fast-forward live TV.

It looks like only kids programs can be downloaded.

The mobile licence prohibits connecting an HDMI cable or using Airplay, etc. (which is probably why rooted devices aren't supported.)

I wonder if that's a free-range chicken in the logo

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2015-12-16 at 03:15 PM.

post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Here's an interesting article about X1 in the States.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3036546/a...tty-impressive

It indicates there may still be hope for access to our own DVR recordings but I'm not liking the possibility it may mean yet another change in hardware. I am NOT spending any more money after being burned by Shaw and the failure to activate DLNA after promising they would.

The only way I would change is if they offer a hardware exchange.

Still, it is interesting they are talking about 'Cloud DVR' so that may take care of it and make hardware much less important. That would be really nice for a change.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Streaming not so 'smooth' after all

I'm just trying to show the Mrs. how this works and it's failing miserably. It keeps freezing while it is presumably 'buffering'. We have BB50 and a gigabyte router so I'm quite certain it isn't a problem on my end.

It was working just fine this morning so maybe there is yet another issue to be addressed here? Just saying, clearly this hasn't been perfected yet but why should Shaw change how they do things now?

post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 05:55 PM
Veteran

Interesting announcement.

Just downloaded the app. Tried streaming a few channels. Seemed acceptable. I will reserve first impressions for a bit later once I get home from work and have some time to play with the app a bit.

Is it possible to have access to the free range service through a laptop (web portal) or is this limited to phones and tablets?
post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

From the Shaw FreeRange FAQ page:

Quote:
What devices will support FreeRange TV at launch?

• At launch, Shaw FreeRange TV will be available on iOS devices (iOS 8 or newer) and most Android (Ice-cream Sandwich 4.0.3 or newer) devices.

What devices are compatible with Shaw FreeRange TV?

• The app works with iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch as well as Android Tablets and Smartphones. Apple devices must have iOS 8.0 or later and Android devices must have OS 4.0.3 or later.
  • Shaw FreeRange TV does not support Chromecast, AirPlay, gaming consoles or the Android equivalent of Air Play at this time.
I'm therefore concluding that no, it won't work on laptops. Since laptops aren't listed, there's a good chance it only works on smaller devices.

post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-16, 06:10 PM

video on demand now seems to be working properly on my rooted tablet
post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 01:08 AM

Watch live TV Shows on Go Indeed!

M.Lausmann
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 02:48 AM
Veteran

Streaming tests in my home tonight on Broadband 50 have yielded excellent results. Some early observations:

* So refreshing to be able to change channels within the same app. I have been hoping for something like this for a long time when compared to individual "go apps" for each individual network.
* Streaming video quality (only tested at home) seems very good.
* App controls are intuitive. I especially like the little recently watched button to go back and forth between channels. Surprisingly responsive.
* Missing a volume control button within the app. This need to be added in a future update, hopefully soon.
* Very little content available for download. Almost makes this "download to go" claim sound gimmicky.
* Would like a "Use cellular data" button to be behind the built-in parental controls. There's no way my teenagers are getting this app as my already crazy phone bills will sky rocket due to data costs (perhaps Wind Mobile - now Shaw-owned - is in our future as I know they have unlimited data plans).

Overall, a solid start, especially considering I didn't expect something like this. I will be spending several days out of town between Xmas and New Year and this will come in handy!

Would love the possibility of accessing my Gateway recordings. Come to think of it, this app could also incorporate functionality of the Gateway app to set and manage recordings. If all of this were possible within the same app, I would be one happy camper.
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 09:58 AM
Veteran

Haven't tried on-demand content, but live TV is quite sharp on my LG G4 Phone. Haven't had any issues streaming live TV on my home Internet (Internet 60).

This is the first app I've seen that actually disables screenshots though, so we can't show people what it looks like (at the very least when a video is playing). Yes, I realize that one is probably in the FAQ but it's worth noting you'll get a toast message indicating such if you try.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-17, 01:57 PM

Installed on my phone and tablet from Google Play store. They all steam well.
But Freerange is not supported by my Nexus Play HTPC. If I can find the apk, I can side load this app.
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Another article showing more of the possible 'promises' we will likely get:

Comcast Stream targeted at cord cutters - Business Insider

Shows pretty much the exact same interface we are seeing with 'FreeRange' now.

post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 12:36 PM

Interesting with Comcast you don't need to have cable with them, just Internet.
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 2015-12-18, 01:19 PM

Though I still can not see the app using Windows/Firefox/Edge/Chrome it did finally show up for my cell the night before last. (Having tried it just before the above link search with the same result.) It was late, and I'll have to use my friends account as I no longer have TV so I didn't get it set up, just installed. (Then got sidetracked with other stuff.)

I just want to poke around and check it out.

I'm still rather puzzled as to why I can not see it in the above (search) link. *puzzled shrug*

I must admit I am rather curious where Shaw will take this.

Tags
freerange , portable programming , tv downloads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in