What's Shaw's "Next big thing"? - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-13, 07:16 PM

Fiasco is a mild term .Not sure how many units they will have in the field when the Xfinity software comes on line but i doubt it will be pleasant .Of course they can't just swap units because of recordings which is too bad.They really should provide some sort of recompense to those who will have to put up with this . It truly is poor planning on their part .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-14, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
You raise and excellent point, sherds. I had forgotten about the issue of needing to clean out your recordings before giving up your current PVR. That has been a problem ever since these units have been available up here and I doubt that will ever change. I have 3.5TB of space for recordings and I have a hard time getting them down below 45% used space these days. That's one heck of a lot of TV to watch before I can ever give up my current Gateway.

I guess that is one thing Shaw might be expecting to solve by moving to Cloud DVR but that change will be a big one and difficult to achieve without a lot of upset customers. Even when they do, with 'your' recordings stored in the virtual world, you will have no control over how long you have access to them or how much 'space' you have available.

Theoretically, you will have 'unlimited' space but you can be sure Shaw will never allow that without hefty charges for more than whatever they initially offer. Just another cash grab that will only drive more customers away from 'cable' TV, if you ask me.
kcbrk32 and Wheelman like this.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #78 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 07:10 AM
Veteran

hers the future with Shaw Cloud

How to keep your free OneDrive space before Microsoft?s storage reductions take place

Lots of space then not so much!

post #79 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Would have been nice to know that back in January when the 'offer' was still available. The proof is in the pudding; give them and inch and they'll take a mile. It's only human nature to use what is available.

I personally don't like storing anything 'in the Cloud' because I don't believe it's secure. Sure, it may be 'infinitely backed up' but I don't want the risk of anyone messing with my data. I guess I'm just old fashioned.

I take it your point is that Shaw will have to put a tight cap on Cloud DVR limits, yes, gzink? I'm not 100% certain but if the idea is to record absolutely everything that is produced and then just provide long term access to all subscribers, there should be a lesser need for as much 'space' because only 2 or 3 copies of each program would need to be stored rather than possible 'millions'.
Wheelman likes this.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #80 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 12:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetranger
I personally don't like storing anything 'in the Cloud' because I don't believe it's secure. Sure, it may be 'infinitely backed up' but I don't want the risk of anyone messing with my data. I guess I'm just old fashioned.
I back up all my important data to the cloud (to Amazon Glacier, if you're curious). The backup software I use encrypts my data using strong encryption - stuff the NSA can't break.

Backing up to the cloud is smart because you can lose your devices to theft or fire. It's inexpensive, and it's secure.
post #81 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I've been of the same opinion.

Quote:
The backup software I use encrypts my data using strong encryption - stuff the NSA can't break.
May I inquire as to which that is?
post #82 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetranger View Post
I'm not 100% certain but if the idea is to record absolutely everything that is produced and then just provide long term access to all subscribers, there should be a lesser need for as much 'space' because only 2 or 3 copies of each program would need to be stored rather than possible 'millions'.
That would violate copyright law. They could legally allow each user to record their own copy, but Shaw couldn't record one copy and allow people to access it.

Shaw could possibly sign licensing agreements with the copyright holders that would allow them to record programs on behalf of their customers.
post #83 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 12:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuy
May I inquire as to which that is?
CloudBerry Server Backup (but they have desktop versions of their tools too).

Cloud Backup and Cloud Storage Management Solutions. CloudBerry Lab

Amazon Glacier storage costs me $0.007 (USD) per GB per month. I spend less than 50 cents a month for the storage I use.
post #84 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 01:48 PM

Dr.Dave is right .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_DVR I'm not sure why a token type system could not be set up so that if for instance i wish to record a show it would then be on Shaw's server and i could access it and delete the access (but the copy remains on the server for other clients) but if you didn't record it then you would not have access to it (except perhaps on the vod time span) but probably the copyright laws will have to be changed and personal pvr systems will be with us for quite a while .
post #85 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Licensing is of course a restrictive part of it all but to me, I just don't see the difference between my service provider holding a copy of what I want to watch or me holding it at home. Either way, I have to pay to access it. Re-writing contracts is a formality that needs to catch up with how the world of TV is evolving.

post #86 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 02:49 PM

Isn't VOD technically a cloud service?
post #87 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 02:51 PM

Thanks audacity.

I may consider cloud based storage at some point but I literally just cleared 1.5+TB's (of 4.7ishTB's) worth of HDD space a few days ago. I can be a little bit of a digital pack rat, and have more copies of stuff than one needs but if I do, I'd buy that for sure to help ease my skeptical mind.

Currently I use 2 HDD's (of different sizes/makers) and Allway Sync to keep backups of stuff on 2 different drives. I also have a 500GB HDD in an external enclosure I keep the really important stuff on. In case of complete PC meltdown. (I know, the likelihood of losing both internal HDD's at once is slim, but there is a risk.)

But, I digress into off topic so....thanks again.
post #88 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Isn't VOD technically a cloud service?
Shaw complies with copyright law with their VOD service. They have to license each program they distribute from the copyright holder. The contract specifies how long the program can be available, which explains why episodes of some shows are only available for a few weeks.

Shaw doesn't have any legal authority to make a copy of a program to distribute through VOD unless the copyright holder grants them that right. That is why, for example, CBC programs were not available until recently.
post #89 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 06:03 PM

I can't find out what the law is relative to rs-dvr in Canada . That article that i linked to above says that it is legal in the USA , and i found an article circa 2010 re australia and singapore . The european and asian providers seem to be ahead of us in this area but i am not aware of specifics such as what you can record , how long it remains on the server , cost etc.Shaw was one of the first with their Gateway system but since then they don't seemed to have had much of a creative spurt . One fabulous aspect of rs-dvr would be that you really wouldn't have to worry about hard drives failing i suppose.
post #90 of 92 (permalink) Old 2016-03-16, 07:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetranger View Post

I take it your point is that Shaw will have to put a tight cap on Cloud DVR limits, yes, gzink? I'm not 100% certain but if the idea is to record absolutely everything that is produced and then just provide long term access to all subscribers, there should be a lesser need for as much 'space' because only 2 or 3 copies of each program would need to be stored rather than possible 'millions'.
My point really was they would allow all sorts of stuff in the cloud(capacity then start squeezing and charging just like MS with Onedrive,. Same as I have an FTP free program for years business ethics(oxymoron) they have ended the "free" and are inviting me to upgrade by paying. This whole cloud and subscription thing is to get us on a "contract" which they can change anytime. Read any terms of service lately?

I do see your point though of not having to store millions.
Wheelman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in