What's Shaw's "Next big thing"? - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-11-02, 04:21 PM

I found this article to be informative especially the fact that Rogers says it will cost them less than $50 per subscriber to upgrade to docsis 3.1 .Shaw sure plays it close to the chest about most things
. Cogeco says high-speed Internet upgrade not necessary - The Globe and Mail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-11-11, 08:52 PM

Cox cable has made it official that they are adopting the Comcast X1 system .Interestingly the article also states that Shaw has adopted the Arris DCX3635 which seems at odds with the new gateway they just announced or perhaps it's another whole home box they will use.
Cox happy with X1 trials, makes official announcement about San Diego deployment - FierceCable
post #48 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
I heard we may be in for 'portable programming', soon. Not sure how useful this will be but I guess it depends on just how it is implemented. Probably will be full of bugs and/or limitations.

I really hate being pessimistic about these things but after being let down so many time in the past now, it's honestly hard to get excited about anything Shaw tries to offer.
PokerChip and buckycat like this.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.

post #49 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 10:09 AM

I know the testing of the Comcast X1 software is still ongoing. I asked a tech about it and he said they had to sign an NDA regarding it.
post #50 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 11:35 AM

Not quite sure what you mean by "portable programming ". Is it just programming a pvr /gateway from a mobile ?
post #51 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 12:37 PM

Maybe watching on a portable device?
post #52 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 06:06 PM
Veteran

Jetranger:

Thanks for providing his info. I am chiming in so others (younger people or new customers) don't make the same mistakes I made. If one person follows this advice, it's mission accomplished for me.

I will definitely let others invest in any new hardware or technology Shaw will try to peddle. Since investing in HDTV hardware in 2004, I bought 3 Motorola HD PVRs back when these things were $700+ each. More recently in 2011 (obviously not recently enough because I would have probably stayed away), I also bought a Gateway and 4 portals.

Every box was crippled by Shaw in one way or another: inactive or disabled ports, promised features that were never enabled despite other North American cable providers offering them, infrequent and meaningless incremental software updates giving me a false sense of hope that things would get better.

Behind each example, and there are too many to list them here, the common denominator has been a plethora of excuses or reasons as to why us Shaw customers weren't going to be enjoying what was often already available to others. My frustration has only been compounded by Shaw's arrogance and rapidly escalating bills brought upon by pure greed.

As much as I consider portable programming to be THE killer feature, I will patiently wait on the sidelines until I see that this strategy can work for me, rather than putting any more blind faith in Shaw's "next big thing".

https://youtu.be/eKgPY1adc0A
post #53 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 07:07 PM

Rent

With their hardware crippled and changing every so often, I've gone the rental route and am quite happy. If something new comes along, I just phone them up and get the new equipment. I don't have to worry about trying to sell outdated equipment at a loss when I want the latest they have to offer. Works well for me.
post #54 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-14, 08:24 PM
Veteran

Same approach I'm taking - hence why I was able to jump on the XG1 right away

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #55 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs, ShawXG1 Gateway & 5 Portals, 2x Harmony One
Right back at ya, PokerChip. I feel totally taken advantage of and I know I'm not alone. Your post proves it. (Have you checked your PMs lately?) If my Gateway becomes obsolete with this new 'update', I'm dumping this stuff and moving to US Dish again. I'm really tired of having a bagful of promises and receiving a handful of deliverables, all along with monthly bill increases.

There is also supposed to be another Gateway guide update to help improve the problems the last 'update' introduced. Too bad they won't accept my offer of 'real world testing'. At this point, I would want free services in exchange for testing and troubleshooting their bloated code since they clearly aren't doing any testing outside of their own people. No one there is going to say boo in fear for losing their job so Shaw can continue to increase profits. I digress....

Stay tuned and I'll post when I get something more solid on either of the two 'updates' I have now mentioned.

If you can then do rather than not. You're your own worst enemy. They're parking their car over there.
post #56 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 12:51 AM

I can't tell you how glad I am I sold my Gateway right before this last update!

Though my preferred hair length is a #2 crop, I'd probably be bald had I had to deal with the latest guide issue. (As in plucked myself bald with frustration to be clear.)

Streaming isn't perfect but, I do have access to most of my preferred shows and still do not miss my Gateway. Though I admit I did love it when I first got it. I feel Shaw really dropped the ball so to speak. So much potential wasted.

My PS3+Netflix and streaming=TV for me now.
post #57 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 01:03 PM

Still don't know what portable programming is. Google was no help.
post #58 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 01:22 PM

What I came up with: Some companies allow one to take their STB with them and can access their content anywhere they have access to the internet.

Going by this result via Google.
post #59 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 02:31 PM
Veteran

buckycat,

The way I interpret it, it would be like allowing you to use your Gateway app not only to manage your recordings, but to actually playback and watch via portable devices such as a laptop, a phone or a tablet anywhere on the Internet.
post #60 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-12-15, 02:43 PM

Thanks, both, that's what I though. In other words, good luck with that Shaw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in