What's Shaw's "Next big thing"? - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-06-30, 12:05 PM

They will almost certainly use the DCX3600 which is what Comcast now uses. The external hard drive is just firmware. Almost no cable provider in the USA allows for eSata.

Cogeco also spent lots of money trying to develop a new system, before finally moving to TIVO.

No doubt Shaw is desperate to try to find some solution to keep customers from leaving.

Existing DCX3200 units with the new guide would need to be factory reset before they could communicate in a MOCA setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-06-30, 01:41 PM

"No doubt Shaw is desperate to try to find some solution to keep customers from leaving."

I don't think it's possible. I really think TV as we know it is all but dead at this stage of the game.

I know I'm at the end of my rope, with a slipping knot. Once that knot goes, so does my TV subscription. (At least) I don't want to, but I feel I have no choice with continual price increases and nothing of value added.
post #33 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-06-30, 04:20 PM
Veteran

There is no doubt that internet streaming and VOD are the future of home entertainment. Companies like Shaw need to adapt. The only questions are how fast can they do it, to counter OTT companies like Netflix, and can they make a product that appeals to Canadians? They do have a huge advantage in the form of government sponsored protectionism and regulation. How well that works remains to be seen. Will X1 be the silver bullet that kills the TV cord cutting trend? That remains to be seen as well.

post #34 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-06-30, 04:48 PM

I did read that the arris unit is indeed a dcx3600 but rejigged for the purpose . i don't agree that no usa provider allows esata drives as previous to the Xfinity comcast allowed hard drives on their pvr units at least in some markets (will check for other providers..Verizon Fios also allows external drives) .I hope that shaw keeps to their practice of allowing external drives .
Yes , tv watching is certainly changing but cable providers will be around for a long time yet .I hope Shaw can pull off something decent with this approach that benefits their customers and themselves as a profit driven corporation .They were ahead with the gateway system but unfortunately floundered when it came to building on that .
Hey gamerguy , the slip knot is the the reverse of the noose knot so maybe you can slip slide and we'll all hang together (out that is and not on the scaffold).

Last edited by sherds; 2015-06-30 at 06:27 PM. Reason: added verizon fios for external drives
post #35 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-06-30, 06:25 PM

I'm not sure what kind of adaptation you are considering . They will seemingly have a hybrid IP/QAM system that will let them stream anywhere . They have an OTT system in Shomi and Bell has Crave but there are so many content owners vying for a piece of the pie i think it will be along time( if ever) before we can choose what we want when we want it at a reasonable price.Some will obviously be happy with an OTT or multiple OTT services .Some will want HBO or sports or specialized channels and others will pirate and use vpns to get what they want .That leaves room for a lot of players .The fact that cable and phone companies control network access leaves a lot to be desired .
post #36 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-07-02, 02:54 PM

Here's a link to a series of articles on Xfinity X1 for those that might be interested
X1 - FierceWireless
Comcast has apparently around 5 million subscribers on the system .
post #37 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-07-08, 03:53 PM

Seems Arris has updated the 3600 to the dcx3635 .Four times the flash memory , half a gig more dram ,802.11ac, among other goodies .
http://www.amt.com/images/products//...ATEWAY_AMT.pdf
post #38 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-07-08, 07:39 PM

A little more colour on what Comcast has in the works (and what shaw may be interested in) from a recent Cable trade show . Anyone able to comment on Shaw's DOCSIS 3.1 achievements ?
https://cartt.ca/article/intx-new-ca...omcasts-latest
post #39 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-10-13, 04:12 PM

Shaw's fourth quarter results will be announced on October 22 so perhaps we will hear more about the Xfinity X1 trial . Would be nice to hear something about docsis 3.1 as well but it sure seems hard to find any info about their goings on . They might respond to the recent telus and rogers so called gigabit efforts .
post #40 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-10-14, 12:21 PM

Arris has just released their first docsis 3.1 modem .
Arris Releases its First DOCSIS 3.1 Modem | DSLReports, ISP Information
post #41 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-10-22, 07:49 PM

Read the fourth quarter results but not much info re xfinity or docsis 3.1 maybe the conference call had something but i did not listen .
Shaw Announces Fourth Quarter Financial and Operating Results - MarketWatch
post #42 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-10-23, 01:01 PM

A pretty good video on the Xfinity X1 system that shaw is trialing
The X1 Platform? by XFINITY® | An Interactive TV Experience
post #43 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-10-23, 01:30 PM

Finally found a transcript of the conference call and there are a few interesting tidbits .
Shaw Communications' (SJR) CEO Bradley Shaw on Q4 2015 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha
Docsis 3.1 is still on schedule for a 2016 launch and the Xfinity x1 infrastructure is all Comcast so the trial is ongoing and complex but they still plan to launch in 2016 .
post #44 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-10-23, 06:05 PM

Wow, so they plan to outsource the entire backend to run the new boxes to Comcast. That sounds like a product to avoid like the plague.
post #45 of 92 (permalink) Old 2015-10-23, 08:37 PM

I tend to agree .Trialing the Comcast system certainly seems like a worthwhile project but to cede all control to Comcast seems whacky .Where are all those great employees that Mr. shaw talked about in the conference call ? Guess Comcast people are greater (or they can save a few bucks).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in