Shaw Cable promotions, programming packages and pricing discussion 2014/2015 - Page 13 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #181 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-04-30, 12:52 PM
Zod

Maybe, but I don't think there is congestion in all areas. I moved across town and I had no congestion my old area or my new area. Congestion is a localized thing so on a larger scale it may not make a great impact. Shaw is also in place where the competition is charging overage, so they might get business if they simply do nothing (although the price hikes with Shaw and UBB with Telus are making independents look a lot more attractive right now).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-04-30, 02:01 PM

Every time I check one of these so called cheaper alternative ISP's I find that they can save you anywhere from 5-10 dollars a month on similar coverage from Telus or Shaw. Then they mention installation fees and activation fees and dry looping (huh) fees etc etc...I then calculate that after 5 years I may be better off. Oh I forgot one...they want to charge me $170 for the same modem I get from Telus for free. Don't work for me !
post #183 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-05-01, 01:00 AM

ISP reseller does not have technician to install the service. Someone has to paid for the wholesaler technician for the installation.

I am wondering why CRTC has not touch the dry loop fee yet.

post #184 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-05-01, 01:32 PM
Zod

Acer77: I hear you there. When my promo deal with Shaw ends my internet will be $90/month. Teksavvy is just starting to offer unlimited 50mbps (dsl) here in the West. It's $60/month + dryloop which i think is $17/month. So I'd save $17/month plus it would be unlimited which I would need if I wasn't pvr'ing anything anymore.

I have two older Telus Models (a V1000h and an ALU 7130). I'm hoping I can flash the generic firmware on them so I don't have to buy a new modem. Then it's just the install fee.

Maybe go to Telus first, get a free modem, then switch to an independant later? I personally think the 50mbps DSL deal through teksavvy is really good. Even if you have to buy the modem and pay an installation fee.
post #185 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-06-01, 05:24 PM

Looks like another rate increase is coming our way in August (http://www.shaw.ca/Customer-Bulletin...-Rate-Changes/). Apparently the increase combined with reworking/reducing services in January just wasn't making them enough money...

Oh, but the best part: they "promise" not to increase the prices again until summer 2016. Bet that line gets deleted from this release next November-January, just ahead of another increase...
post #186 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-06-01, 06:42 PM

Wow. Looks like I'll be looking to change things come end of summer. Please, share your disgust over on their forums, I did:

https://community.shaw.ca/thread/31576
post #187 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-06-01, 07:02 PM
Veteran

The discussion was immediately locked and every other similar thread will be as well. Shaw forums are a complete waste of time.

It will be interesting to see how much this next increase will be. My service has gone up by about 35% in the past 2.5 years. It's unbelievable to me that they can't seem to stay afloat with such frequent rate increases.

My example translates to about 6 to 7 times inflation rates.
post #188 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-06-01, 07:17 PM

Absolutely ridiculous! I'm vibrating mad right now. There was no need to lock it, yet they did.

I think I've about had my fill with Shaw. I've started looking at other options. I think I'll be giving up on "standard TV" all together. Just get phone and internet. "Standard TV" will be dead in the not too distant future at this rate. (And internet prices will continue to increase...so the CEO's/etc can continue to rake in millions!)
post #189 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-06-01, 07:39 PM

All I can say is uneffing believable!
post #190 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-06-01, 07:53 PM
Rookie

I agree,but most people don't have options,can't get telus where i live for internet, or optick tv. drop your bundle package then it costs you more.BB60 costs 90.00 alone and after august who knows.go to teksavvy need knew equipment and then stuck with Shaw old equipment.wow it sucks.
post #191 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-06-02, 12:21 AM

What do we as Canadian citizens have to do to stop these outrageous price increases?
post #192 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-06-02, 06:31 PM

Well as I recall the last time Shaw's internet plans were increased, Telus plans went up almost the identical amount about a week or two later. Competition in the telecom industry? Me thinks NO....about what you get with the Banks and Oil companies...it used to be called price fixing as I remember.
post #193 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 12:02 AM

My August bill will be going up $6.10 + tax which is about 7.7%. These rate increases are very annoying. Looking at cutting back some channels.
post #194 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 02:32 AM
Zod

Actually I don't think Telus followed Shaw's last increase. Example. Shaw increase the speed on bb50 to 60mbps. At the same time they jacked the price up to $90/month for new customers. I think Telus is still 83 with a 5 dollar discount if it's in a bundle.

I think this it for me. I have a few weeks to switch to a local independent and grandfather the old wholesale rate before Shaw is allowed to jackup the wholesale rate. I tried to cancel in February but Shaw offered me a sweet deal to stay for 6 month. I'm done. Shaw's price increases are insanely high and greatly outpacing inflation. I can't directly support it anymore. It'll be interesting to see what life is like with out Cable TV.
post #195 of 255 (permalink) Old 2015-06-03, 03:30 PM

I think I will wait next year to see what Shaw's skinny basic is and take it from there. I am sure knowing Shaw it wont include anything other than the mandated channels but it will most likely be enough for me. As long as I get some local channels and the Knowledge Network then I am happy. Most of the other channels are rubbish and the same shows appear on multiple channels anyway. I don't have Shaw internet so my only concern is the TV end . I wonder if Shaw is merely raising rates constantly to get revenue to a point where a sellout could happen. Rumours of a sell to Rogers have been mentioned but that solves nothing as Rogers is worse than Shaw when it comes to increases. I guess that is why Easterners refer to them as Robbers. My guess is that the Shaw family is preparing to take the money and run .
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in