Shaw Cable rant thread, Leaving Shaw, etc - Page 96 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1426 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-03, 12:16 PM

Telus charges $5 for the first 50GB overage even you are over by 1GB.

I joined CRTC SamKnows ISP speed monitoring. Telus will not charge the bandwidth used by the SamKonws Whitbox. Since Telus has no way to figure out how much bandwidth will be used by the Whitebox, Telus added FREE unlimited add-on one week after I connected the SamKnows Whitebox.

Google SamKnows for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1427 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-03, 12:38 PM

Very interesting. I had no idea this program existed. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm just debating whether to sign up now while still with Shaw or wait.

P.S.

Scratch the above, just signed up.
post #1428 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-03, 05:45 PM

If you signup to monitor Shaw internet speed, I am wondering Shaw will do something on your internet speed during evening peak usage hours.

post #1429 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-03, 06:06 PM

Such as?

There is the possibility they wont accept. Now you having me wondering if my impulse was such a good idea....
post #1430 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-03, 09:54 PM

No idea what Shaw will do. Being cable Internet, which is subjected to slow down during peak usage hours, Shaw may not do anything as it is a known fact. When you switch ISP, just inform SamKnows.
post #1431 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-03, 11:07 PM

@TechGuy8 our Samknows info page is here https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-3208 and more here: https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-4662
Additionally lots of internet connection types are subject to slow downs such as FTTH which is shared just like regular neighbourhood connections.

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
post #1432 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-04, 06:47 AM
Veteran

I don't believe Shaw or other cable can be automatically considered slowing down. If the capacity is there they won't slow down. Plain and simple. If you encounter slowdowns don't let up on the provider.
Shaw Champ likes this.
post #1433 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-04, 12:26 PM

I called Shaw. But I still got 12 - 15Mbps at night on a my Internet 25. I was told 10 - 15 Mbps is on the low end. But it is still within the Internet 25 acceptable range. One can only call so many times... then do something about it.

Since I switched to Telus, I am getting 25 - 27 Mbps down and 6.5 - 7Mbps up all day on Internet 25.
post #1434 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 01:48 AM

Well, it's time to lodge a CRTC complaint. If nothing, it will help me feel better. So here goes the story which was rejected in the official Shaw Forums.

I visit Shaw's website for cable tv. I look at their offerings. I see what I think is a sneaky tactic they're doing now. Of course, it's perfectly legal but I don't think it's ethical or moral.

The promo or locked in price quoted is based on 2 years, and it is in large font. The regular rate is in the smallest font and instead of Shaw quoting the full new rate, they are quoting just the price difference. For example, the Personal TV price is $29.90 on a 2 year plan. The regular rate is an additional $13.10/MO. This method forces the person to think how much the service actually costs and makes them get out their calculator if they can't do the math in their head--requiring more effort. I think this approach is very deceptive and unethical. I think it's simply a marketing ploy to deflect the real price so people don't realize how much they're really paying. I believe they're hoping people won't take the time and effort to absorb how much the service really costs.

Pondering this. I have to ask, do people really want to see the difference in price or do they want to see the actual price? I believe most people want to see the gross price they are paying so they can compare the service correctly. I don't believe they want to know how much MORE it costs. Just like I don't believe people want to know how much financing a car costs them on a daily or weekly basis. What's next? The heavily paid marketing groups will switch their campaign to how much things costs on an hourly basis just to lessen the blow of how expensive the product or service really is.

Any way, the plan above jumps from $29.90 to $43.00 and writing $13.30 is certainly is more attractive then $43, isn't it? And what happens when the Shaw subscriber then calls in and complains about the "deception" in frustration after they see their bill? Shaw will say they are saying they did nothing wrong. The price is there, you just have to do the math. And in frustration, the subscriber might very likely cancel their tv services and jump to Telus. Is that what Shaw wants them to do?
dustymisty and Wheelman like this.
post #1435 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 02:55 AM
Veteran

Firstly, the CRTC has nothing to do with this. Secondly, even the CCTS probably wouldn't even look into this because, as you already indicated, they aren't really doing anything "wrong." Heck, I don't even see how it's deceptive; it's simply marketing!

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
post #1436 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-19, 04:59 AM

You don't see how it's deceptive? Come on! man! It is deceptive. But that's what marketing is all about today. Being deceptive because they know their product is crap!
dustymisty likes this.

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #1437 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-29, 11:54 PM

Apparently I went on vacation today...

First off - I apologize for my poor grammar and rambling... I'm pissed.

So this morning all was well with my Personal TV, Best of HD (grandfathered), Movie Central/Movie Channel, Internet , Shaw Phone for my Shaw triple play grandfathered warranty "Friends" account.

Lunchtime - I come home to find I have no TV or internet. Strange that the phone worked...

First Call (15min call back) - I call tech support and find out that I have be put in "Vacation" mode in error by someone on Shaw's side nothing to do with me... They tell me it will take 20min to get all my services back online. I go back to work. Another 20min of my time on top.

Second Call (15min call back) - I call support again as I still don't have any internet but seem to have some TV but am missing channels. They get internet finally working and help me to get what I thought was all of my channels back. And another 10 min of my time on top.

Third Call (15min call back) - I call support again as I notice I don't have any time shift channels. I am now informed that because they deleted the old grandfathered coding from my file I will have to wait until the 31st for a senior tech to fix the coding... two days to fix this, come on.

I then ask to talk to someone senior. "I" suggest to them to just give me a higher package for the next few days to at least get me the channels I am missing "working again" and then take them away when they can fix the codes and go back to my original grandfathered codes two days later. I am informed that they can't just give me something I am not entitled to but they can give me "some" of my channels in the mean time... I respond with "So you are telling me that you can delete all my coding (nothing to do with me) inconvenience me, but when it comes to making me happy and getting my channels sorted out you can only "sort of" make things better and I should wait..." A very long term pissed Shaw customer hangs up (that's me).

Now I have to say the woman I talked to was very nice but basically unable to offer anything more that a canned response and minor discounts for the missing services, wow probably a whopping $5, I think I wasted about $200 of my time today on top of the frustration that someone couldn't just fix the problem and that I now have to wait. I think in the end they offered me a free VOD, wow don't go out of your way Shaw...

If I hear another person at Shaw tell me "I hear what you are saying but..." or "I understand you are frustrated..." I might go mad. Fix the darn problem. I pay a lot per month for my services and this is the best they can do to fix "their" screw-up???

My guess is that on the 31st when they can fix their screw up I will be spending even more of my time on the phone...

At ShawChamp - If you are still around please contact me. This was ridiculous..
Mike S likes this.

Last edited by jorton; 2016-03-30 at 05:55 AM.
post #1438 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-30, 12:28 AM

@jorton Thanks for reaching out. Very sorry to read what you went through from our admin mistake. If I put myself in your shoes that's got to be a really frustrating experience you've went through, so sorry for that.
I've emailed you as a follow up and I hope the outcome is alright for you.
Thanks.
dustymisty likes this.

Shaw Employee, Opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
post #1439 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-30, 12:59 AM

Thank you Shaw Champ. Very helpful, thank you for the followup and looking into my issue.

J
dustymisty likes this.
post #1440 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2016-03-30, 08:17 AM
Veteran

A follow-up to an issue I reported here months ago. Ever since Shaw Champ helped look into the issue of me continuously getting promotional sales calls despite repeatedly trying to get off that calling list, I have not received a single call since.

Considering these calls were coming every few weeks, I'm so glad we finally managed to get them to stop. Thanks a bunch Shaw Champ!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Wheelman likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in