Shaw Cable rant thread, Leaving Shaw, etc - Page 94 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1396 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-07, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod View Post
I've only been getting the slowdowns in the evening. It starts around 6 or 7, and peaks around 9pm at it's worst. I've only seen one morning speedtest that was bad so far. I ran speedtest this morning and it was fine. Run another speedtest tonight around 8 or 9pm and post it
8:10 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1397 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-07, 02:16 AM
Zod

Nice speed. I fell below 2mbps around 7pm. I tested now and its at around 13mpbs. Are you in Victoria?
post #1398 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-07, 03:27 AM

I am.

A few weeks ago when I first noticed the evening slow-downs my speed was dropping quite a bit. I'll keep monitoring it

post #1399 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-07, 12:30 PM
Zod

There's always the possibility that I am experiencing two issues at once. Juce's insufficient supply of bandwidth and possibly a crowded node. Either way I've opted to go to Telus for a while. The first year deal is pretty sweet, so I figure it pays for itself if I bail after the first year (which most likely I wouldn't unless Shaw offered a sweet deal to switch back).
post #1400 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-09, 12:10 AM

Juce is a bit sour tonight...

post #1401 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-09, 12:25 PM
Zod

Finally, it's not just me
post #1402 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-09, 01:47 PM
Veteran

I'm sorry to take on the role of moderator, but this thread has veered off topic.

1. Juce isn't Shaw
2. Even if it were Shaw, posting speedtest results in this thread is the wrong place to do so in my opinion.
post #1403 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-09, 05:46 PM
Zod

Fair enough. Most of my posts were comparing Juce to Shaw in regards to the "leaving" shaw aspect of the thread. This often results in discussion comparing Shaw to its peers when making the decision to stay or leave shaw. You are right though, those last 3 posts completely veered off the comparison conversation and focused exclusively on Juce. If you were thinking of leaving Shaw for Juce it may not be a good idea at this time Juce obviously has problems and you should stay on Shaw until they get ironed out
post #1404 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-09, 07:27 PM

It seams that the Internet re-sellers in Ontario and Quebec have better luck with Rogers/Bell than those in the west dealing with Shaw/Telus. This make it tougher for us, the consumers, to leave Shaw/Telus. For the time being, switch between Shaw/Telus every 6 months. OR If you have kids going to university, try to get on the Shaw/Telus student promotion.
post #1405 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-09, 07:53 PM
Zod

It's definitely hard to leave shaw/telus. I've opted to go to Telus for while and found out the reason I couldn't get Teksavvy DSL was because my line most likely needs to be bonded, and resellers don't have access to bonded connections yet. I am definitely finding it hard staying away from the Shaw/Telus duopoly.
post #1406 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-09, 09:37 PM

Yeah I've decided to stick with Shaw for now. After the events of the last 9 days I've decided to ease off on my grudge as well. My view of Shaw as a business hasn't changed but life is too short to stress myself out so much. (My friends sudden passing at 45 has me self analyzing a lot lately.)

I'd probably play the Shaw/Telus game if Telus didn't charge for overages.

My only real concern is the data caps. Ok, and price of course. It was why I wanted to go with Juce so bad, win-win on both counts.

Apparently Shaw has fixed their usage meter. Though with DD-WRT flashed to my E1200 I can monitor it directly through that.

So any future decisions about switching providers will be made on how my usage pans out over the next while as I plan to monitor it for a while while I save to once again look to the Secured Visa route.

I have my ATA but FreePhoneLine does not accept Visa Debit nor Paypal. CC only! I've also set my 54G up as a client bridge so I can connect the ATA to it then I can leave my phone; modem and router where they are currently. (Opposite walls in the room.)

My intent is still to lower my monthly costs by leaving Shaw eventually but I'm not in the same rush I was last week. It's going to cost me money to save money. Such is life.

Thanks again TechGuy8 for the FreePhoneLine and ATA suggestion. I'm looking forward to getting that up and running. I like to play with hardware (I've built every computer I've owned myself.) as well as learn new things.
post #1407 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-09, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerChip View Post
I'm sorry to take on the role of moderator, but this thread has veered off topic.

1. Juce isn't Shaw
2. Even if it were Shaw, posting speedtest results in this thread is the wrong place to do so in my opinion.
I'm sorry if I offended you with my posts.

Since this is the "leaving Shaw" thread, I was offering a bit of insight into the experience one might have once they've left Shaw.

Maybe a mod can create a new thread and tidy things up for us?

I won't bother sharing tonight's speedtest result, which is what I came here to do.
post #1408 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-13, 12:51 AM

FWIW, I dumped Shaw. I haven't noticed any Juce problems, and that's who I'm with now. On the 25/ul plan.

I had cable - dumped that for Netflix.

I had phone. Dumped that for Ooma (VOIP). Don't do Magicjack - crap, and techsupport was a joke. Ooma you can get at costco - costs $130, though you can get it on sale (for $100). Keep the other line running, and try it for a month - if you don't like it, keep the phone. But it plugs into your router, and then your phone line/phone plugs into it. Works fairly well. There's about a 1/4 second - 1/2 lag, but I don't notice it (wife does). But it's only taxes ($4) per month after the $130.

I had internet - dumped that for Juce.

$180 per year Shaw.

$58 per year Juce/Netflix/Ooma.

I haven't noticed the slow-down in Juce, so it must be a node thing. In Victoria.
post #1409 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-13, 04:05 AM
Veteran

ssbtech: no worries, and believe me you aren't offending me at all. While I can see the point of comparing Shaw with other providers, the idea of seeing numerous speed test results for Juce in this thread takes away from its purpose, IMHO. Others may disagree.

Having said that, we come here to vent our frustration about Shaw and given how stupid censorship has gotten on their forum, I feel bad about limiting anyone's ability to express themselves freely.

ssbtech, you should be able to start a thread without the need for a moderator to do so, no?
post #1410 of 1495 (permalink) Old 2015-10-13, 01:32 PM
Zod

Sorry to go back to Juce, but as it's who I'm trying out as I left Shaw, I still feels it's a bit relevant (and I still use Shaw for Cable, so I'm never 100% against going back).

I think they might be using traffic shaping/throttling. I have a VPN I occasionally use. I accidentally left it on the other day and noticed my speeds were fine. Turned it off and they went to a crawl. Rinse/Repeated a few times with the same result. Over the weekend I tried it a few more times and it worked most of the time (a few times at the heart of primetime it didn't). I'm wondering if they were throttling my connection due to the hardware issues they were having.... I try to go light on my internet in the evening, but sometimes you want to watch something and that's when you want to do it.

Shaw never throttled to that extent, and way back in the day when they did it wasn't nearly as severe. I only have 6 more days on Juce, then I'm giving Telus a try. Hopefully that's works out ok or I'll end up back on Shaw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in