Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Don’t Buy A New TV Now

15K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  north49 
#1 ·
Wait for the 2020 models to be released. Although there is no good time to buy a new tv I do agree with this video.

https://youtu.be/Qu1bH2gGXes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Every year there are new TV technologies. Then they arrive and they are often too expensive due to industry price fixing or disappointing due to lack of suitable content. So most people end up buying last years technology because they cannot afford the new improved, over-hyped TVs. I'm so glad I didn't buy into 3D TV (all 3 times it was the "new" thing and failed.) Did anyone here buy LCD flat panels when they cost $50,000 (in 2000) except for the filthy rich and big corporations? How about OLED when they cost as much when first introduced? I didn't think so. Micro-LED will be the same. I'll wait 5 years and maybe buy one when they are affordable and the technology has matured and been proven in the marketplace. By then wannabe influencers will posting videos on YouTube to wait 6 months for the 4th incarnation of 3D TV.

#4 ·
I know that 4K content has been available for some years now but 8K? Who knows if that will ever become mainstream. What I want personally is full HDMI 2.1 so I will get 8K by default but I see it as more of a by-product. From what I’ve seen the 8K upscaling is really good on the Samsung’s(I haven’t seen the Sony’s) I’m looking for most likely a 75” set maybe 85” depending upon price. With a 75” it is of no real benefit for 8K but since I won’t by a set that doesn’t have HDMI 2.1 I’ll have to go 8K and most likely the new Samsung Q950TS in 75” if I can get a LG OLED 77” C9 or new C10(Both have HDMI 2.1) for less than the new Samsung Q950TS I’ll take it as I don’t need 8K but that probably won’t be the case as I can get the Samsung’s at cost from a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 · (Edited)
I needed a TV and went to MTC in Whitby. If you are not familiar with the store, they sell new stuff, but most electronics are returns, repairs or overstocks and are based on 3 different levels depending on what was done or what is missing from the box, like original remote or cables etc.

50 inch Samsung smart LED was $399.00 Sure its a 2018, but came with a 2 year warranty plus an extra year from my credit card. They had 2019's for $439. Difference other than the year is.. 2019 had BT and no IPTV channels, 2018 no BT but has IPTV channels.

Have purchased many things here and never had an issue.

Should mention that this is a 4K unit

https://mtcfactoryoutlet.com/

#9 ·
How about ATSC 3.0 tuners for OTA? When will the set manufacturers include this new standard? Is it premature to expect the broadcasters to air in ATSC 3.0?

I imagine Canada won't be to quick to adopt the new stanadard.

#10 ·
Under current CRTC regulations, Canadian broadcasters will never adopt ATSC 3.0. Bell is on record as wanting to abandon OTA completely and other broadcasters, especially the CBC, have shut down dozens of OTA stations. They make more money selling wired TV and I doubt they are even capable of making a profit with OTA. The only reason most commercial network OTA stations exist is obtain simsubs on parent company BDUs.

I would like to see broadcasters, along with CRTC regulatory assistance, adopt the UK system of broadcasting where broadcast farms allow 90% of the population to easily receive all national networks plus local and regional stations and networks. ATSC 3.0 would be perfect for that but it probably won't happen because Canadian broadcasters are too greedy and incompetent.

#11 ·
A Short History of Local Programming and Over-The-Air (OTA) Television Broadcasting
For over 50 years, any Canadian with a TV set has been able to watch television programs through over-the-air (OTA) broadcasting – a free wireless television service that has typically included a significant amount of local programming.

Today, alternatives to OTA broadcasting, such as cable, satellite, IPTV and the Internet provide Canadians that are willing to pay for them with greater control over what they watch and when they watch it. Canadians can now view programs not only on television sets but on computers, tablets, and smart phones.

These new approaches provide Canadians with more choice and convenience. However, many Canadians still rely on OTA services and, in particular, local television for their news and information programming.

During Let’s Talk TV: A Conversation with Canadians, Canadians told us that OTA television services and local programming continue to play an important role in their everyday lives.

It is also important to point out that with all the new online options available, many Canadians who decide to cancel their cable subscriptions could still continue to have access to an average of 5 to 9 (or more in certain areas) free high-quality channels with an antenna.

As a result, the CRTC considers that free OTA television is an alternative to cable and satellite television that must be maintained for now (see Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2015-24). Should broadcasters choose to shut-down OTA transmitters, they will lose certain regulatory privileges, such as their mandatory carriage on the basic package of channels offered by cable and satellite companies and the ability to request simultaneous substitution (For more information about simultaneous substitution, see Seeing Canadian Commercials on American Channels).

#13 ·
...many Canadians who decide to cancel their cable subscriptions could still continue to have access to an average of 5 to 9 (or more in certain areas) free high-quality channels with an antenna.
But the reality is that a significant number of Canadians and many locations in Canada receive only one local station and that station lacks a significant amount of local programming. That's because most stations are owned by networks with head offices and flagship stations located in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver. Every other station is either a repeater carrying 100% of the flagship station content or, at best, about an hour of local or regional content.

The quality or suitability of some of those stations is also questionable. While there may be 5 to 9 stations, several of them are likely to be in a language that most viewers do not understand or cater to other minorities. In addition, some of those stations may not be watchable due to restrictions on outdoor antennas. Many major cities in Canada lack one or more stations from major networks such as the CBC, CTV or Global. In contrast, almost every city with a significant population in the US has local stations from 4 or 5 major networks, PBS, at least one independent local station and other independently owned stations from nearby markets. In addition, at least 50% of the stations in the US are operated by non-network owners which is not the case in Canada. To make things seem even worse, many US stations broadcast several subchannels on the same frequency, bringing the channel count to 40 or 50 in some US markets. There are no Canadian stations I am aware of that broadcast unique subchannels.

#16 ·
There are no Canadian stations I am aware of that broadcast unique subchannels.
CFTV is a non-profit Community Broadcaster in Leamington that carry 4 channels total, 80% Can Con with 60% local coverage in multiple languages, English/French/Spanish, with some Aboriginal content as well representing the First Nations groups in their locale.

https://www.cftvdt.net/channels

#20 ·
Hard to believe how the price of televisions has dropped in most cases. Our first colour television in 1963 cost around $1600. 20 inch RCA round screen in a metal box and only one station from Watertown, New York. broadcasting several shows a week from CBS in colour. Those were the good old days!!

#21 ·
What good is a TV that just connects to wifi? It needs software to display anything, even if it's just a Miracast or Chromecast app. My ideal TV these days is one that just has HDMI inputs. Don't need a tuner. Don't need any streaming apps. I'll add the programming sources myself.

#22 ·
Are any such no-tuner monitors available in the consumer market and from what stores?

@ jacjames I remember watching a rerun of the Get Smart TV show and in one episode they show a 14 inch color TV selling for $300. That show ran from '65 to '70 but still it is dramatic how the prices have changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.