Rogers and PCI-E tuner card with inputs - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-14, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Rogers and PCI-E tuner card with inputs

hi, i currently own the on air usb tuner and find it excellent. reason i bought it originally is because it had great reviews for ota in toronto area and it was usb (for use with my laptop). i don't use ota and i currently have a rogers 3200 box outputting the coax into the on air tuner. i am now getting a desktop computer that will allow me to use pci/pci-e cards and i would like to replace the on air tuner to eliminate all the boxes i have on my desk. so, in an attemp to keep the picture quality as high as possible, all i really need is for the tuner to have 1 input for the rogers cable box (that will allow me to record hd material, even if it downscales the resolution to sd), and possibly a composite video input (for my cheapie) dvd player. what is the best tuner to do this (since i don't care for ota and only "rogers box" compatible). thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-14, 08:23 AM

I've always been a fan of Hauppauge cards. Here is their lineup of internal tuner cards:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc..._internal.html

They also have the HD PVR for recording HDTV in it's native resolution (through component inputs). Use the forum search to find the thread about that.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-14, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

okay great. so a couple of questions for clarification.

1.) if i opt for the 2250 which has dual tuner capability, will i still be able to record 2 channels at the same time even if i only have the 1 rogers box (sae90 - the most basic one that rogers gives you).
2.) for the s-video in, i would like to connect a cheapie dvd player using composite. so if i connect the player to this input on the card, how do i switch inputs to get the dvd player on the screen, and once i do this, can i adjust the image size to be a small box (not the full monitor size)?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-14, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony a. View Post
okay great. so a couple of questions for clarification.

1.) if i opt for the 2250 which has dual tuner capability, will i still be able to record 2 channels at the same time even if i only have the 1 rogers box (sae90 - the most basic one that rogers gives you).
No. One set-top box per digital channel. If you want to record two channels concurrently, you need two set-top boxes.

Quote:
2.) for the s-video in, i would like to connect a cheapie dvd player using composite. so if i connect the player to this input on the card, how do i switch inputs to get the dvd player on the screen, and once i do this, can i adjust the image size to be a small box (not the full monitor size)?
Switching inputs is done within the software you use for viewing. You can adjust the screen size to whatever you prefer. I am not 100% sure this will work due to Macrovision for the same reason you cannot connect a DVD to a VCR's composite inputs.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 10:34 AM

The reply to your 1st question is partially true. You could use the S-Video for your set-top box and the coax for a split coax from the wall. I do the same thing with my media center, Rogers, and a nVidia DualTV card (any dual tuner card will work) and all it requires is a registry hack. Obviously, the second tuner fed from the wall will not have all the stations (especially the HD) that the first tuner has but it's free and works. On the other hand, renting a second HD box is only $10/month or so so it's up to you which you would prefer. Either way you would have to skip the VCR as you would be "using" both tuners.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

on second thought, i already have another pvr in the house and rarely do i watch and record at the same time. so i really only need 1 tuner and the composite/s vide input. i see that the 2250 uses onboard decoding whereas the 1250 does not. is there a huge difference in recorded/played picture qulaity between these 2 units (since the 1250 is more than half the price)? im just trying to see which model i really need (or 1600/1800). thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-01-15, 01:55 PM

For your use, the good old Hauppauge PVR-150 will work the best but the tuner is analog only. PVR-150 is the best unit bar none to record from analog STB. Even the included WinTV software works extremely well in that regard. Make sure you get a version that has the IR blaster.

The HVR-1250 MUST NOT be treated as an analog PVR. I have this card and it is meant to be an ATSC tuner and it works great.

The HVR-2250 is a dual ATSC tuner and for your use for analog recording, it is an extreme under-utilization. If you're in GTA and will look into setting up an antenna to use the ATSC tuner - that's a different story....

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in