New Neuros LINK media player / HTPC - comments? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2009-01-04, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

New Neuros LINK media player / HTPC - comments?

I just came across the Neuros LINK. It is a media player that is built around a full PC and full OS. I guess that makes it an off-the-shelf HTPC.

Here are the technical specs.

It is an AMD 780g with an ATI Radeon HD 3200 video card, and a low power CPU, in an HTPC style case.

It has 11g wifi, an eSATA port, a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.

It seems to come with enough storage for the OS, but no space for storing content.

It comes with a media player version of the Ubuntu 8.10 Linux OS, which I think is a very good thing but some people might not like this.

It is too new for there to be reviews so it would be hard to say whether it is quiet. Note that the software is still under development and this is considered a beta product.

The price - US$300 - is much less then it would cost me to assemble and build these components myself, but I doubt it is available in Canada so it would have to be shipped from the US.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2009-01-06, 04:16 PM

Big weakness is that Linux has no support for hardware acceleration of HD content right now. That box couldn't handle any h264 streams probably. Now if you wipe it and install windows...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in