Which way to go DIVX and SDTV recordings PB on SDTV - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Wayne
The mpeg-2 file size makes it difficult to burn to a dvd. Although with a device like the Hauppauge MediaMPV I would not need to burn disks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

The Hauppauge HD-PVR is a neat device but is external and lacks a tuner. Using an IR blaster to change channels and an external tuner make for a cluttered system.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 08:03 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggle View Post
The Hauppauge HD-PVR is a neat device but is external and lacks a tuner. Using an IR blaster to change channels and an external tuner make for a cluttered system.
True but the advantage of that is that it can capture HD output from any device with component outputs - satellite box, cable box, etc. That makes it the best tuner device ever made in my opinion. Given the restrictions of Hollywood it is impossible to have an internal tuner device unless you have DRM up the wazoo and then you have to buy a new PC to do so - CableCard for example. And then you are horribly restricted with what you can do with the files.

With regards to MPEG-2 and burning to DVD. This depends on what you want to do and how you are going to use the files. MPEG-2 is the native format for DVDs so it is very easy to author a video DVD from MPEG-2 files, much more so than from H.264 or avi files. If you just want to backup content then you can burn avis to data DVDs. But why even bother doing that with hard drives so cheap - just copy to a portable hard drive and use that with a laptop.

I almost never burn DVDs anymore but I have extenders at pretty much every TV in the house and my wife and I both have laptops to take with us when we want our content to be portable.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Wayne, what kind of extenders do you use throughout your place ?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 09:47 PM
Veteran

I have had V1 Media Center extenders. These only worked with the XP version of MCE - you need a new version of extenders to work with Vista - the advantage was that you could buy them cheap on eBay. But I am now in the process of switching to SageTV and I have bought several Sage extenders. The Sage extenders also work as standalone media players as I mentioned above and they give you the advantage of also being able to stream LiveTV.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 2009-01-03, 05:44 PM

I looked at the same problem you did. I record stuff with my tuner on my desktop (SD analog cable) and I want to watch it on my TV via wireless.

I looked at all three consoles, and none were up to the task. Actually, the best console is an original Xbox, hacked to run XBMC.

Your best options are a media extender like the Popcorn hour, or something like a sage extender. I didn't want to spend any more money on OS licenses, proprietary software, change my trusty Win XP r anything of the sort. So build a basic HTPC, with Linux running on it. Mind you I already had leftover parts (memory, keyboard, mouse, hard drive, wireless adapter) so it cot me less than 300$ in parts.

Btw, make sure you set your computer resolution properly when connecting to your TV. If your TV is 1080i compatible only, chances are that your native resolution is something like 1366x768.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in