HDMI-DVI Adapter - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

HDMI-DVI Adapter

Hello,

I have a XFX 8600 XXX graphics card and it had DVI output and I can connect it to a TV and it works but if I bought a DVI-HDMI adapter would the sound (5.1) from the PC go to the TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 02:01 PM
Veteran

nope, dvi does not have sound
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

so what's so point of a DVI-HDMI adapter?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

By the way, does anyne one kow how I could transfer 5.1 sound from my PC to my TV?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 02:10 PM
Digital Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megagab99 View Post
so what's so point of a DVI-HDMI adapter?
Some TVs only have HDMI inputs so you either need the adapter or DVI-HDMI cable. That is how I had my HTPC connected to my computer.

I think one of the ATI cards had a "custom" DVI connector that routed audio to some pins so that you could their adapter to carry sound.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 02:25 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
This has been discussed before and although the DVI-D ports on TVs and STBs don't supply audio, on most PCs, the correct DVI connection can supply sound to HDMI at the other end.

Since TVs don't have DD5.1 sound, you will get digital (2 channel) audio on the TV. If the signal were routed directly to an AVR that handled HDMI audio, then you'd get DD5.1 on the AVR. The video signal could then be continued from the AVR to the TV via another HDMI connection, however, be aware that this type of connection doesn't always work due to handshake/firmware issues between TVs/AVRs/PCs.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

my HDTV is connected to a Yamaha AV Reciver so I WOULD get 5.1 sound. Just to be sure:
If I connected my PC to my TV with a DVi-HDMI adapter and a HDMI cable and my TV is connected to my AVR, WOULD I get sound (PC-> DVI-HDMI adapter-> HDMI cable-> AVR-> HDMI cable ->TV)?

By the way, my Blu-ray player is connected to my TV which is connected to my AVR and I get 5.1 sound so it should work, right?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 04:02 PM
Digital Sage

As mentioned before, unless you have one of the video cards that has the proprietary DVI interface you won't get audio over the HDMI connection.

It works for the BluRay since that is a true HDMI connection so it carries the audio.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megagab99 View Post
I have a XFX 8600 XXX graphics card and it had DVI output and I can connect it to a TV and it works but if I bought a DVI-HDMI adapter would the sound (5.1) from the PC go to the TV?
Some NV 8-series video cards (e.g. from ASUS) have an option of SPDIF passthrough.
Unlike ATI cards (that have an audio chip onboard), NV's need a 2-wire cable connecting the SPDIF pins on the motherboard to corresponding pins on the video card. And the DVI-HDMI cable will carry sound.

I think this applies to all 8-series cards but could be wrong.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I found out that my card DOES have SPDIF pins but you have to buy the cable seperatly.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

ok so apparently I does have the pins but I can't find them....
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 07:16 PM

What brand card do you have?

As to the cable, it is most probably just two wires.
Do you have some old "digital cable" for CD/DVD drives? That will do...
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-01, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I think I might have some cables for that. The problem is that I seem not to be able to find the pins...
Quote:
What brand card do you have?
I have an XFX card.
I found a site where a person has posted a comment that says that he did it with my card:

Here is what he says:
Quote:
I have a media center PC that I wanted to put in a medium performer graphics card. I would run an occasional games, but it was mostly for watching movies, pictures & videos. I wanted good cooling, as it sits in a closet. I love the Zalman fan! It cranks, and isn't all that noisy. The card has undocumented pins that you can use for SPDIF audio pass-thru. I had to contact XFX tech-support on how to use this feature. They responded in less than a day, which is stellar. You connect the 2-pin cable (which you have to buy on your own) from the card to either the on-board spdif connector or to the spdif coax output port. You then use a DVI-HDMI adapter, and you now get both audio and video thru a single HDMI connection. I downloaded all the latest drivers directly from nVidia, completely bypassing the ones on the install disc. I like the nVidia utilities, as it allows you to easily re-size the desktop to match your display (a Panasonic HDTV projector, in my case).
I hope I am able to do the same...but I can't seem to find the pins.....
Can anyone please help me?

Last edited by Megagab99; 2009-01-01 at 10:40 PM.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 12:18 AM
Veteran

Maybe some of the below can help??
http://www.kingbo.com/technical/HDMI.htm

Quote:
Thanks, the second link is mostly helpful b/c page 2 shows a 3 pin spdif out on the motherboard connecting with 2 wires to the video card, saying that I need to connect the red wire to the "spdo" (spdif out) and the black wire to the "gnd". Now I just have to ID these pins on the motherboard.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/600/

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/suppor...p?faqlineid=86

Check posts 11 & 12 closely: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=460956

There is much more info you could find if you google your subject!
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 12:36 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
By the way, my Blu-ray player is connected to my TV which is connected to my AVR and I get 5.1 sound so it should work, right?
What is the make/model of the TV? On most TVs this will not work since most TVs don't pass DD5.1. See the following post on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870 (bolding)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in