HDMI-DVI Adapter - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok so what I wanna do is connect my PC to my, TV, and then from the TV to my AVR which HAS 5.1 surround sound. That is what I do with my DVD player and it works.
Quote:
What is the make/model of the TV?
I have a LG 47" 47LG70, here is the link:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33018876.html

@TECHNOID: the second link was usefull, but I can't seem to find the SPDIF connector on my XFX 8600GT graphics card. I send a email to XFX tech support to ask if my card does. I found a person on some forum saying that he found it on my card (well his, but it's the same one), but it was undocumented...

If anyone has one and has succeded to find it please contact me.

Last edited by Megagab99; 2009-01-02 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

The problem is that I can't find the pins on my Graphics Card (XFX 8600GT XXX edition) !!!!
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 01:55 PM

I have to ask, does the manual show where they are?

EDIT: I googled for a review of that particular card and found the following.

Quote:
XFX did not enable HDCP and HDMI support

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

no the manual isn't helpful at all....
I found this person with the same card except for a different fan, aid he found some undocumented pins....
Quote:
The card has undocumented pins that you can use for SPDIF audio pass-thru. I had to contact XFX tech-support on how to use this feature. They responded in less than a day, which is stellar. You connect the 2-pin cable (which you have to buy on your own) from the card to either the on-board spdif connector or to the spdif coax output port. You then use a DVI-HDMI adapter, and you now get both audio and video thru a single HDMI connection. I downloaded all the latest drivers directly from nVidia, completely bypassing the ones on the install disc. I like the nVidia utilities, as it allows you to easily re-size the desktop to match your display (a Panasonic HDTV projector, in my case).
Here is the website (his review is the 1st):
http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/video-cards/m/55812207/
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

OK, so I found out that my graphics card has the holes for the pins, but the pins aren't there... . I asked my friend and he says it's kind of dangerous for the card to (I don't know how to say it in english) "attach" the pins.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok, so I found the holes in my Vidoe card and beside there is a triangle and it is maker J11.
I don't know how to attach the pins though...
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-02, 09:48 PM

What you will need to do is solder a header into the holes so that you can attach the cable to it.

If you don't understand what I just said then it is probably not something you should attempt to do yourself.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-03, 11:33 AM

Does your back panel have an optical out? It would be simpler then to route an optical cable to your receiver, and the video to your TV via DVI or HDMI.

I've seen the internal passthrough cables on several web sites (spdif to nvidia cards). They're about 10$. Considering that 10$ will get you 6 feet of optical, I consider that a better deal.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-03, 02:34 PM

You can also use an old CD-ROM audio cable to link the SPDIF OUTPUT to the pins on the video card. It can't get any easier and cheaper.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2009-01-03, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

@ jvincent : I know what that means but I don't want to do it myself. My friend who does a lot of programming and computer engineering can do it but he says it could ruin my Video Card if something goes wrong.

Ok so thank you all for your help but I have decided to abandon this project because I just bought 5.1 surround sound speakers for my computer and everything works like a charm! I can watch movie and play games with the same sound quality as in my living room. I appreciate everyone help, especially jvincent, and 57. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in