AppleTV V2.3 Firmware Update - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

AppleTV V2.3 Firmware Update

...is now available. The major improvement is support for AirTunes as well as Harmony remotes.

I have now configured my AppleTV so that I can control it using my iPhone and can stream music wirelessly to powered speakers anywhere in my house using an Airport Express module.

All of this without ever going into my home theatre and touching anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 05:51 PM
Member #1

Hmm, you could do that before cause I've been doing it for awhile.

EDIT

Sorry I misunderstood. You can now stream from ATV directly to Airport Express Speakers. In the past you could only stream from iTunes to Airport Express Speakers.

This new feature is nice. Unfortunately for me, all my music is greater than the hard drive space on ATV so I have to stream from the computer.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Release notes

At any rate, I'm enjoying the wireless streaming. Once summer rolls around again, I'll be using it on the deck to be sure. One cool thing I'm doing with it is setting up a playlist with a bunch of iTunes radio stations on it, so I can select them from the remote and get live radio. It's like having Sirius except with more choices.

Last edited by hugh; 2008-11-21 at 08:55 AM. Reason: To clarify to eliminate confusion introduced by me in Post #2.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-20, 10:49 PM

Actually one of the new things with ATV2.3 is now you can stream music stored on the ATV directly to the Airtunes (eg Airport express) without having itunes running. Don't know how to control the volume though...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 09:33 AM
Member #1

To update your Apple TV to the current software version:

1. Select Settings > General using your Apple Remote.
2. Select Update Software.
At this time your Apple TV checks to see if an update is available and a Download Now message should appear.
3. Select Download Now to start the download process.
When the update has finished downloading, an Update Now message should appear.
4. To start the update process, select Update Now. During the update process, your Apple TV will conduct a restart which is followed by the Apple logo and a status bar.
Note: On some TVs, the screen may display black for up to 15 minutes and the Apple TV may flash an amber light; this is expected behavior. Do not unplug your Apple TV during the update process.
5. After the final restart, your Apple TV plays the opening video and returns to the main menu.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-11-21, 11:03 PM

Quote:
This new feature is nice. Unfortunately for me, all my music is greater than the hard drive space on ATV so I have to stream from the computer.
As 250G 2.5" notebook drives are going cheap I'm almost tempted to see if I could upgrade (It's possible with a Mac but I only have XP)

Tags
appletv , iphone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in