TRouble playing MKV files - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-01, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

TRouble playing MKV files

Im having an issue with mkv files on my system. Im getting no video from them. Doesn't matter which player im using VLC, MPC, WMP11. or which codec pak i have installed. Finally got tired and rolled back to WMP10 just to see and low and behold my unplayable files would play, but still on nothing else but WMP10. Uninstalled every codec and all alike and reinstalled WMP11 and Klite, and now i get no video again just sound... What can i do here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-01, 03:59 PM

Do you have the actual Matroska Codec Pack installed? If not, you can find it at
www.matroska.org/downloads/windows.html

Scroll down to filters and choose CCCP.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-01, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Tried and same result. Sound but no Video.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-01, 06:28 PM

Avoid codec packs.
Just because you tried so many could be the reason you can't play it.

If latest VLC can't play it, it could be a bad file.
If not, get graphedit and open the file in it. It could be a splitter issue.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-01, 09:45 PM

I'm with granduncle on this one. Codec packs cause more problems than they solve. VLC alone should be able to play MKVs; it natively supports just about every codec I've come across.

If you are using other tools for conversion, then perhaps you may need additional codecs, but again, avoid those "all inclusive" coded packs. Install just what you need. I've reinstalled XP more than once because that was easier than resolving issues with codecs that didn't install or uninstall properly.

Sony KDL-52EX700, Toshiba HD-D3, Motorola DCT-6416, Popcorn Hour A-110, XBOX 360 w/HD-DVD
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-07, 02:30 PM

If I want reliable MKV/x.264 to work I start with a fresh system with NO codecs installed. I install Core Pro and Mastroka splitter. Then ffdshow to play the other content and STOP THERE! No more codecs at all from that point on. Always works for me on 6 HTPC's (mine and my friends).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 12:40 PM

I'm with Chaseme on this one, though just slightly different. CoreAVC Pro, Haali splitter and FFDshow is all you need.

CoreAVC Pro handles the H264. Microsoft decoder for VC-1 works fine, you'll need Vista or Media Player 11 on XP for it to work. Microsoft MPEG decoder in Vista SP1 is actually more stable and efficient then ffdshow's decoder(s).

I only use ffdshow for upconverting as a post decoder pre renderer filter.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 01:11 PM

Another Experience

I don't use WMP for anything. Never have on this PC. I just changed the defaults for Filetypes to other programs. Mostly Nero Showtime, but for MKV, etc., I use the K-Lite downloadable codec pack and their Classic Media Player.

I've never had any trouble playing MKV files on my PC.

However, when I transfer PAL origin MKV files to my Media Extender, I get only audio and no video. I could reset my ME to PAL, but then the NTSC material would not play.

That's what the problem desription sounds like to me. An over zealous media player.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Microsoft MPEG decoder in Vista SP1 is actually more stable and efficient then ffdshow's decoder(s).
As long as you don't play interlaced material, 1080/60i transport streams especially...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 03:03 PM

I've played 480i content fine. I'll have to try some of my 1080i content tonight.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-10, 04:07 PM

Was it film based or video?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in