upconvert regular dvd with htpc - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

upconvert regular dvd with htpc

I've been looking around to find a resolution for this with no success.
I'm not too sure either in which forum this fits in the best but here it goes.

I built an htpc with a gigabyte Radeon HD3870 graphic card and a blu ray drive.
I'm running vista/64 and Cyberlink PowerdDVD Ultra 8.
It is hooked up to a rear projection tv (Toshiba 57HDX82) component inputs via the supplied card dongle.

I've set the resolution to 1920x1080 and I can watch a blu-ray movie no problem (looks great).
Now if I try to play a regular dvd I get an error saying that "the content cannot be played under your monitor's current resolution. Please lower your resolution"
Shouldn't it upconvert when I play regular dvd?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 10:21 PM
Veteran

That's an issue with the software. Your HTPC's graphics card should naturally upscale to fit the resolution.
In fact, your HTPC should provide a superior picture to an upconverting dvd player (standalone)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by recneps77 View Post
That's an issue with the software. Your HTPC's graphics card should naturally upscale to fit the resolution.
In fact, your HTPC should provide a superior picture to an upconverting dvd player (standalone)
That's what I tought. I submitted this to Cyberlink and this is their answer:

"In regard to your issue, we wish to inform you that resolution of 1920x1080 is too high for playing normal DVDs. The normal DVDs cannot be played at 1920x1080 resolution therefore you will have to lower the resolution."

what would be the highest resolution I could play regular DVDs?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 04:28 PM

Try 1368x768 (or whatever it is around that marker). That's what I use as well.

Make sure you having Nvidia's purevideo if you want to upconvert dvd's, thats how I do it ,but I don't run at full 1080p like you are trying to do.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 04:29 PM

iirc, dvd's are 720x480.

I've been able to play dvd's through PDVD Ultra 8, and it didn't display that error message, but maybe its something to do with using component out (I'm using HDMI), and/or the weird HDCP restrictions (which shouldn't be applicable to dvd's).

I've gotten better results by using:

- Media Player Classic (player)
- Dscaler + IVTC (great mpeg-2 decoder plus inverse telecine to go back to 24p)
- FFDShow (scaling, color correction, noise removal)

... but its not for the faint of heart, hard to configure, but great results.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 05:10 PM
Veteran

Yes, dvd's are 720x480 max. (576 pal)

That's ridiculously low, considering your computer can easily interpolate that image to 1920x1080 (or equivalent, depending on aspect ratio)

I would have to agree with protovision - a different program would work better for you.
You should be able to play it in any player now that you have the cyberlink codecs from the powerdvd installation - they're able to decode the encrypted dvd and play it in (theoretically) any program (assuming there aren't any restrictions by cyberlink).

It is most likely an HDCP issue. IIRC, something else mentioned on these forums or another liked to give that message when trying to output HD res to a non HDCP device.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 06:02 PM

The ATI manual for the 3800 series cards states under HDTV trouble-shooting states:
"DVDs will not play in high quality modes. Copy-protected DVDs restrict playback to 480i and 480p modes."

Both Microsoft and ATI chose to plug the analog hole and restrict HD component outputs. This is similar to up-converting DVD players where the HD signal is only available on the HDMI output. This maybe the source of your problem.

Finding a definitive answer on the ATI website is all but impossible. As far as I know, no DVDs have the flag set that would restrict up-conversion over component.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 06:06 PM

Upconversion over component is prohibited for any Macrovision protected DVDs, which is virtually all of them. Any compliant S/W or driver must obey this restriction.

The best way to bypass the Macrovision in realtime is to use AnyDVD. It strips the Macrovision in real time and allows upconversion over component and a bunch of other stuff.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 07:21 PM

Quote:
"In regard to your issue, we wish to inform you that resolution of 1920x1080 is too high for playing normal DVDs. The normal DVDs cannot be played at 1920x1080 resolution therefore you will have to lower the resolution."
Definition pf BS.
Just rip the darn thing: either using AnyDVD (like jvincent said) or something like DVDShrink (if the DVD is not using some stupid new protection).
DRM-less no player will complain and play it at any resolution. And there are better players for DVD playback than PDVD, TheaterTek for example.
And if you have TT, you can try ZoomPlayer with the same codecs...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 07:24 PM

TheaterTek will still enforce the Macrovision restriction.

As I understand it any application that uses the standard driver calls for DVD playback will trigger this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 10:03 PM
Veteran

I had a similar issue with my HTPC - it would not play DVDs unless I reduced the resolution. AnyDVD should allow you to get around this as should DVD43 which is free. Google DVD43, download and install it and you should be fine.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2008-10-27, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Tried AnyDVD and it's working fine. Will have a look at DVD43.
Looks like Macrovision protection and going through component cable is the problem.
Thanks for your help everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in