Met with SlingMedia today to see the Slingbox Pro HD and Slingcatcher - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2008-10-21, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Met with SlingMedia today to see the Slingbox Pro HD and Slingcatcher

I had the opportunity to meet with folks from SlingMedia this morning in the Renaissance Hotel at Skydome.

The SlingMedia team had local network setup in the room with a Slingbox Pro HD and SlingCatcher.

They demo'd the SlingPlayer, My Media and Sling Projector. We watched OTA broadcasts and TIVO recordings from California, local recordings from a PVR, recordings from an external drive attached to the SlingCatcher and internet content projected from a laptop to the SlingCatcher.

The thng that really jumped out at me was the quality of images. I have been using the SlingBox Pro in the past and there is no question this new generation box produces a much nicer image using less bandwidth.

The company says this is thanks to the company's updated streaming techonology and the DaVinci TI video processing technology.

Both units are $329 CDN ($299 US) but they told me the $329 price tag may go up as the CDN dollar slides.

I'll be test driving the SlingBox Pro HD in the next couple of weeks, so if you have any questions, I can try and answer. I also hope to have a SlingCatcher in the mix in coming weeks so I can test the end to end solution.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2008-10-22, 01:00 AM

Both Slingbox PRO HD and Slingcatcher are currently on sale at Futureshop for less than the list price of CAD 329. I have the Slingbox PRO HD and am using it to mostly stream HD broadcasts from the Rogers box to my desktop/laptop at home. Quality is much improved over my old Slingbox PRO despite me throttling the bandwidth to 4000 Kbps which is still lesser than the 6000 Kbps stream rates when I was using the PRO.

Tags
slingbox , slingcatcher , slingmedia , slingplayer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in