Blue Ray DVD drive on Laptop - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Blue Ray DVD drive on Laptop

Hi all

I have a Dell Inspiron 1526 with a BR drive that I want to use to watch movies on my Samsung LN-T4061F. I have a Monster 850HD 6.68Gbps HDMI cable to connect my laptop to my tv.

My understanding is HDMI carries sound as well as video. How can I get my Home Theatre to play the sound from the Blueray? The input is HDMI 3. My HT is connected to HDMI 2 and I have an optical cable connecting my Cable box to my HT

This probably sounds confusing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 05:15 PM
Veteran

It is very likely that your laptop does not support sending audio over HDMI (according to a Dell web page it says that this laptop has "HDMI High Definition Video Output" it doesn't mention audio). Therefore you would need to have some other digital audio out from your laptop to send the digital audio to your receiver. I assume what you are calling an HT is a receiver, correct? Worst case scenario is that you can output stereo from your headphone jack.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 06:49 PM

I have a Dell laptop also, but no BR drive. One idea would be to get an external sound card. I have a Soundblaster Live 24 external card that connects to the laptop via USB. It handles Dolby Digital 5.1 output and has outputs on the card for optical and SPDIF in addition to direct speaker connections.

I also have a Sondigo wireless audio bridge that connects to my Yamaha receiver via optical and handles 5.1 audio. I can control which device I output the audio to.

I think the Sounblaster option may work better. The Sondigo is wireless and that may lead to audio/video sync issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in