im new to all of this!! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

im new to all of this!!

hey guys, im interested in this, but have no knowladge about htpc at all, i have a hitachi television, 52 inch dlp hdtv, i have many questions, ill just throw a few of the first ones out there and hope that you can all help me out. first has anyone use one of these things? (VGA to Component Video Converter) and are they any good at all?? the reviews ive read seem to make it sound good, now my next question, is i need a new computer anways, so would getting a devent computer, then upgrading it with the components required. now the other thing, when i go for a new computer, i want a blu-ray burner, i am a photographer and they disc will hold a whole lot more than dvd which makes a whole lot of sense for storage. so since i will have that installd anyways, will i be able to play blue ray movies and still have the great quality that they deliver??
thanks guys, all of thse may sound simple but like i said, i have no idea!!

Last edited by 57; 2008-10-15 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 10:14 AM

Do some reading on this and other HTPC forums first. Make your questions more precise.

VGA to component can work well. Depending on the transcoder. Better get a video card with component output.
Blu-ray burning ain't a good idea... yet. It's more expensive than hard drive storage (per GB).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

ok, that what i was wondering about, the video card with component output, how is the quality of video? as for the blue ray being more expensive than hd, thats true, but i was thinking thta if i also got to use it as a blue ray player, then that expense would be saved from purchasing a blue ray player, plus i could make blue ray movies from ones that i own or friends own, but my big question mark there is the quality of the video sent and seen on the tv

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 03:43 PM

RE: Video quality
This is a bit of a religious question.
I believe today's hardware/software allows the HTPC to output as good quality video as the best standalone players costing ten times more. Keep in mind that component (i.e analog) connection is dying off. For Blu-ray playback it's second class citizen although still going strong.

RE: Blu-ray
A PC Blu-ray burner today is comparable in price with a standalone BD player. What do you mean by making Blu-ray movies?
Ripping them? Re-encoding? For that you need just a BD reader (~half the price of a burner).

Last edited by 57; 2008-10-16 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Edit to remove "questionable" discussion
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

what do you recomend other than the component set?

Last edited by 57; 2008-10-16 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Edit to remove questionable discussion
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 06:44 PM

Quote:
what do you recomend other than the component set?
If Blu-ray playback is in the future of this planned box (and only then), HDMI is the way to go.

Last edited by 57; 2008-10-16 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Edit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in