Send video/audio from PC to TV in another room? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-10-14, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Send video/audio from PC to TV in another room?

Hey everyone,

Need some advice here not really sure how to make this setup work. Here's my situation, I got PS3 and TiVo so never use my media centre PC. I put it in the office, but I just bought another LCD tv for the media loft which is probably 15 feet away. The PC is in the office which I use for normal computer stuff, but I was thinking it would be nice to have it connected to the LCD so that I can play TiVo recordings and so on to it.

I'm just wondering what the best method to do this is fairly cheaply since I won't use this often. My first thought was to buy a 25 foot VGA cable which I see are $23 or so at Canada Computers, or depending on the length, a 16 foot HDMI was about the same. I could then run audio as well just putting all the cables under the baseboard.

My main issue here is how do I connect this to the PC? It's a Lenovo ThinkCentre so it's small form factor. I have an ATI video card on it which has DVI out only on it so only one display can be connected at a time. I'm guessing I could buy another video card that would have dual display support, that way I can go in the office, use the monitor there and browse shows and so on, then click play on second display, it just increases the cost.

The other option is if there's some wireless device or something that would send the signal to the TV using video/audio. I'm sure these exist but the few I saw were only 1024x768 and I want to run at 720p.

Just thought someone might have a better suggestion here, thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-10-14, 01:13 PM
Veteran

How about a cheap XBox360 Arcade version for the new room? One of the best priced media streamers around.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-10-14, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

That's true I may look into it, again I sort of wanted the actual computer on it though, since I'm not sure if XBox streams Tivo files? Also we like internet tv and so on so I sort of wanted to be able to watch the same things on both, but XBox may be an idea. Didn't realize it was only $199 so may be a thought. I have PS3 in the living room and Wii connected to this TV, might as well get another console I'll never use haha. I just figured if I can go buy a VGA cable for $23.99 and an audio cable for probably around the same, it's a cheap way to watch things on that TV, since it's literally 15-20 feet away and not a huge deal to get up and press play in the office. Worst case can even get a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo or whatever as well. It's just if I have to get that, plus a new video card and so on then the price will get higher so that's my main concern, just wanted a cheap way since literally this will be so rare that I watch something on it.

I guess one final option would be to just put that computer IN the media loft and call it a day. I used to have it connected to my TV in the living room but then my roomie needed it for work and so I put it in the office. She only uses it once in awhile to do a few things she couldn't do on her own laptop, so worst case she can just use it on the 32" LCD which would be super clear. Hmmm I might have my solution!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-10-14, 02:51 PM

Are you looking at only viewing Tivo video files?

If so, are you using Tivo2go? If not, that might be a solution. It is also completely free, but you can upgrade to Tivo2go Plus that will play various types of video files ($25). But maybe you are looking at something more complicated.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-10-14, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

No it's really just Tivo to go files that's about it. Like launch TiVo desktop hit transfer and then start playing it later that's really about it. We used to watch a lot of movies or tv shows and so on online as well but got out of it when Rogers started messing up on us, so that may be rare. It will also be connected to a home theatre setup up there so was going to use it to play internet radio as well. I think now that I think about it it's better to just move the desktop in there.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 11:39 AM
Veteran

Your computer probably has a DVI-I, in which you can get a splitter to separate the A and the D signals on the DVI socket.

You can also add an accessory card that adds a second DVI out.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 07:52 PM
Rookie

Not sure if this may help. But you can get s-video / audio baluns on ebay that can send video/audio via Cat5e cable. Great if you have a house with Cat5e cabling. Just do a search for such.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 09:08 PM

>>I guess one final option would be to just put that computer IN the media loft and call it a day. I used to have it connected to my TV in the living room but then my roomie needed it for work and so I put it in the office. She only uses it once in awhile to do a few things she couldn't do on her own laptop, so worst case she can just use it on the 32" LCD which would be super clear. Hmmm I might have my solution!

If she doesn't like to use the 32" LCD, she can remote login to your Lenovo ThinkCentre pc by using "Remote Desktop Connection" from her laptop.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-10-17, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

That's true too thanks for all the advice, I ended up just putting it in there

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in