Keeping internet connection alive - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-12, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Keeping internet connection alive

Im new to Rogers high speed. I run a Vista system and it seems to me that my connection drops out or disconnects if i leave my system for a period of time. I have my power settings set to on all the time for max performance, but if im away long enough i fall back to my log in screens(im still logged in however)

I noticed this with MSN requiring me to re-sign in because connection was lost and with Torrent downloads. When im at the PC torrents go no problem when i come back in say 30minutes they all turn red as my connection seems to go to sleep.

Is there any settings or tweaks i need to be looking at within vista? I though a download was considered activity...

Connection however is instant when i select a web page, i never get the "no connection error when browsing, i just noticed that msn and torrents

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-12, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

To add to this, my streaming from PC to PS3 via wireless seems to drop too,

Licenced HVAC TECH: "Without seeing your problem i can only offer suggestions, no warranty is included with my advice"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-12, 06:49 PM
Veteran

If you're with rogers you should definitely be "always on".
Even most DSL modems have keep-alive options for PPPoE.
The only explanation I can think of is your pc is setting the network port to go to sleep after a certain time for whatever reason.
Check your drivers to see if there is a setting for this.
I don't have vista, so I don't know the exact dialog names, but in XP it's under System properties, device manager, network adapters.
Checking the properties of the network adapter in use (wireless or wired) should show you some extra options available in the driver set

Another problem could be the modem and/or router doing a similar task, or just failing. Is it a combo device, or is the router separate? (and what model is it?)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-12, 10:13 PM

Since your internal streaming to PS3 stops as well, the problem has nothing to do with Rogers. Sounds like your network port is being turned off, either by a driver setting, or by some other software. Is this a laptop? If so, many of them have manufacturer software that controls the power settings of internal devices. Check to make sure that software isn't shutting down your network card.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-12, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

could be a few things with the ps3 it seems small files stream without issues but some larger files don't, im new to using tvvercity as well. I have to hit re-share on tvvercity at times to get the big files. Online gaming with the ps3 has never had issues.
Just seems that when the desktop goes to screen saver that sometimes things dont flow the way they should. MSN does not always shut off, the longer i am away the more likely msn will need a resign in.

Ill keep playing.

Turned off screen saver
Made sure network adaptor cannot be turned off by system
power settings at max performance(sorry david suzuki!)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-10-13, 03:59 AM

Try these settings, In Vista I have my Power Options set to Balanced, then click on "change plan settings" and set both options to never.

You could also try to un check "Allow Computer to Turn This Device Off to Save Power" on your Network Card under Power Management.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in