stream live tv from Vista PC to another tv? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-11, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

stream live tv from Vista PC to another tv?

Hi,

I'm editing my original post for a bit more general information...

I'm wondering if there are any reasonably simple methods to stream live from my Vista PC to my tv in another room. Options may include using an xbox, xbox 360, ps3 or other media extender. The reason I'm interested in this is because my tv does not have a tuner in it.

I've been reading about the xbox extender software, it looks pretty interesting. One thing I'm not clear about is whether it can be used to watch live tv. For example, I have OTA digital tv coming in to my PC. Can I stream to the xbox and watch the show on my tv? What is the quality like? The same goes for any other types of extenders

thanks

Last edited by shmish; 2008-10-11 at 04:02 PM. Reason: make my question more general
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-11, 06:42 PM

You might also want to check out the recently released SlingCatcher from Slingmedia: SlingCatcher FAQ
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-11, 06:45 PM

You can use the Xbox Extender software, and it will stream video. The only catch is that you need to use the extender off of a computer with Windows Media Centre 2005. As far as I know, you're not able to use the Xbox Media Centre extender with any other operating system.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-11, 08:00 PM

If your vista computer is using home premium or ultimate (not the basic or business versions) then your vista computer will have media center on it and your xbox 360 can function as a "media center extender" and can play live tv, recorded tv, picture, videos and more. You will need a tv tuner card in your computer. Quality is fine, dependent mostly on the quality of the tv tuner card you have on your computer.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-11, 11:09 PM

If you have the premium or ultimate version of vista, you can stream live tv to a 360 or extender device.

I am currently doing this in HD (720p/1080i) and it look great.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-12, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I have Home Premium. So far I've only tried to use Orb to stream to our wii. I haven't had a lot of luck with it, there are a few runarounds for Canadians with the guides (same goes for media center).

Which extenders are you guys using? xbox 360, xbox, linksys, dlink, etc... I don't think the xbox 360 does HD streaming (definitely the xbox doesn't).

thanks
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-12, 08:13 PM

I used to use my 360 to stream but I no longer have the need to do so as I got a separate HD PVR and I didn't have HD tv tuners in my PC. I think that if you have HD tuners though that you can stream HD to the 360. I'm in Edmonton and the guide works fine on Shaw cable.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-12, 11:37 PM

yesh, i have a 360 and i stream hd - linksys also has a h/w extender device and there are few tv's with xtenders built-in...

vmc also supports canadian EPG's...np
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-13, 08:25 AM

I use an XBox 360, a Linksys DMA-2200, and a DLink DSM-750. All stream live and recorded HDTV from an OTA antenna very well. The Linksys is actually streaming it wirelessly over an 802.11N network.

Pete
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-13, 03:42 PM
Rookie

Stream from Vista PC using a PS3 and TVersity software

I hooked up a PS3 to my network and stream content (video, music, photos) from my HP Vista PC to my televisions using TVersity Media Server software. Windows media centre software is useless, so it is best to use TVersity, a free shareware program. TVersity easily streams content to the PS3, which has an excellent interface for browsing all the media files on your computer's hard drives.

Plus, the PS3 has a blu ray player, so you pay $400 for a wireless media extender (no need to run a network cable from your office to your tv), a blu ray player, and a game console. Even if you never play games, it's the best media extender platform value available because of the blu ray player.

Check out the TVersity website for PS3 connectivity. Even if you choose another media extender (XBox, Lynksis, ect.) make sure you use TVersity as your media server. I eveb use to stream content to my iPhone when out and about.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-13, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

How do you stream live tv with Tversity? I have this program up and running but can't find any info on streaming from my tv tuner.

thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in