Nero Liquid TV: TiVo for your PC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Nero Liquid TV: TiVo for your PC

I will be posting articles today on this new product along with my thoughts.

I had the opportunity to view it last week when representatives from Nero came and demonstrated it to me.

Needless, to say I was impressed. It essentially was the TIVO interface and the cool thing was it could also output your recordings to multiple hardware formats such as the iTouch.

Essential points:
  • USD $99 for software download only that includes one-year TIVO sub
  • USD $199 for USB tuner and Software that includes one-year TIVO sub
  • TIVO subscription for subsequent years is $99 per year

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

The following is the "official" press release.

Quote:
Karlsbad, Germany and Alviso, Calif. (September 29, 2008) — Nero, creators of liquid media technology, and TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), the creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders (DVRs), announced today the unveiling of Nero LiquidTV | TiVo PC. This new offering revolutionizes the way consumers experience television by offering an enhanced TiVo DVR experience directly from the PC.

“In recent years the amount of digital entertainment content available to average consumers has exploded,” said Bruce McGregor, senior analyst, Digital Home Services for Current Analysis. “Consumers have increasingly conformed to using mobile devices and the PC as sources of video entertainment; as a result they are looking for ways to port their favorite television content onto multiple mobile formats. There is an emerging opportunity for a PC-based DVR service that offers easy access to television content on a wide variety of devices.”

With Nero LiquidTV | TiVo PC, consumers can watch and pause live TV on their desktop, record their favorite shows directly to their hard drive, transfer shows between computers throughout the home, or enjoy their favorite shows on-the-go by exporting them to iPod«, PlayStation« Portable (PSP«), or burning them to DVD. Now the TiVo experience can be enjoyed on the PC, including TiVo features like WishList« searches, Season Pass« recordings, TiVo KidZone, and TiVo Suggestions.

"For more than a decade, the world’s largest mobile and consumer electronics brands have trusted Nero for technology leadership and category creation,” said Udo Eberlein, CEO, Nero AG. “Now, with Nero LiquidTV | TiVo PC, we are providing a next-generation DVR application that integrates the renowned TiVo service with the PC. This solution is truly a platform on which our vision for liquid media – where content can be easily accessed anytime, anywhere, and on any device -- will become a reality.”

Nero LiquidTV | TiVo PC is designed for ease of use. No technical expertise is required to install the software on any PC with the Windows XP or Windows Vista operating system. The full retail solution comes complete with everything that the consumer needs to share the TV experience throughout their digital home: a TiVo PC remote; a TV tuner card to allow television signals to be received by the PC; and an IR Blaster to create a wireless, infrared connection between the cable or satellite box and the PC. It also comes with a one-year subscription to the award-winning TiVo service, which automatically finds and digitally records a user’s favorite shows.

"Nero has done a superb job of bringing the TiVo experience to the PC, and have done so in a way that lives up to the rich TiVo legacy,” said Tom Rogers, CEO and President, TiVo. “To be able to extend the features of TiVo to a new platform without compromising the integrity of what has made TiVo such a revolutionary product is a significant achievement, one we know both new and old fans of TiVo will love.”

Nero LiquidTV | TiVo PC with one year of TiVo service will be available in the U.S., Canada and Mexico in October 2008 with a suggested retail price of $199 USD for a retail box or $99 USD for a downloadable software-only version. TiVo service subscription renewal is on an annual basis at $99 a year. The retail box, containing a tuner card, TiVo remote control and IR blaster, will be available at participating retailers in the U.S. and Canada. The software-only version will be available for download to the U.S. Canada and Mexico

post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 10:08 AM

Very interesting -- and far more flexible than a set top TiVo (4 TV tuners, ability to choose generic capture cards)
As there are some support for HD tuner cards, I wonder if a high-end HD capture card is compatible with LiquidTV.

This would make it possible to record Rogers HD in TiVo in Canada (in theory), using a Rogers HD box connected to the HD capture card (at least in theory)...

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Screenshot

Richard Carriere, (A Canadian and the president of Nero) and this technical director visited with me last week and demoed the Liquid TV product.

They were both very excited about the product and I was very impressed. The demo was short (about 20 minutes) but all the TIVO DVR functionality seemed to be in there and the screenshot above really got me excited.

Nero has promised me a copy and I am looking forward to hooking it up to my OTA Antenna and trying the software out.

The other thing that impressed me was the price of the hardware/software combination, the standalone software and the subscription price.

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 11:39 AM

Does anyone know if this will work with any providors in Canada, or will it be purely OTA. I would love it to work with the providors, it would be great to have finally a HD Tivo, even if it's through the PC.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

It can work with a provider if you use the IR blaster

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 12:44 PM

I am wondering if this Tivo would work with the other Series two tivos for the home media options (only for digital and analog of course)? Or would this be a standalone product?

Not sure what you would need to get it to work for HD content. Just an HD tuner card and cable/satelite box?
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 02:36 PM

Location: Toronto, Ontario - Rogers - SA8300HD,S1 Tivo,S2 Tivo
Hey There Hugh,

Was there any mention of Hauppauge HD-PVR compatibility? I looked at the website, but its pretty vague regarding hardware support stating only that bda compatible devices were supported.

Thanks
Adam
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 05:46 PM

Hugh;

Another question, would this package work with clear QAM cable tuners (PVR-1800)? And if so, would this package include the related TV guide for such channels such that I could record HD channels?
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Honestly guys, at this point I don't know. The company is shipping me the software and sample so I hope to be able to test for myself and let you know.

For now, my recommendation is to check the Nero site for what they say regarding compatibility etc.

Honestly though, I am pretty intrigued by this product so I will be putting it through its paces and letting everyone here know my results!

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 08:58 PM

hugh, the product looks interesting ... when you're testing it, I'd love to know whether there's actual functionality that's better than Sage, BeyondTV, or ReplayTV PC Edition, or is it just TiVo window dressing on what's already out there (and much less expensive in terms of Sage and BTV).
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 09:26 PM
Veteran

My understanding is that this software only works with specific tuners and this doesn't include the HD-PVR so the best you will get for HD in Canada is OTA. I am a huge TiVo fan but I fail to see where this is any better than Vista (or XP) Media Center for someone who wants a simple solution and it fails to meet the functionality of SageTV or BeyondTV for someone who wants something more - like the ability to record HD cable/sat with an HD-PVR and lots of tuners. Throw in the price of $99/year and where is this product any better than media center?

(My personal experience with PVRs is 4+ years with SD-TiVos, 2 years with XP MCE, 2+ years with SA8300HD, 2 months with Sage, a few months with BeyondTV. My current fave is SageTV - the best way to get Canadian cable into a PC based PVR)
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
I'd love to know whether there's actual functionality that's better than Sage, BeyondTV, or ReplayTV PC Edition
Johnny Canuck, Can't help you since I have not used those pieces of software.
Quote:
My understanding is that this software only works with specific tuners and this doesn't include the HD-PVR so the best you will get for HD in Canada is OTA.
Wayne, I'm not sure where you got your information but some of it seems in contrast with what the technical director of Nero told me in our conversation in my office so rather than speculating or misinterpreting something, I'd prefer to try it out myself and then comment.

Last edited by hugh; 2008-09-29 at 10:15 PM. Reason: clarified
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 09:49 PM

You might want to think about playing around with the trial versions of Sage or BeyondTV for comparison's sake. They're both fully functional and, unless there's significant new functionality in the LiquidTV package, I can't see how it would be better value.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

General System Requirements

Quote:
• CD/DVD ROM drive is required for installation
• Windows« XP Home/Pro with SP2, Windows« XP Media Center Edition, Windows« XP
Professional x64 Edition, or Windows Vista« x86/x64
• DirectX« 9.0c or higher
• 3.0 GHz Intel« Pentium« IV processor or AMD Athlon™ XP 3200+ or Dual Core CPU with
less GHz for analog channels and digital HD channels – 2.0 GHz Intel« Pentium« IV processor
or AMD Athlon™ XP 2000+ or Dual Core CPU with less GHz for digital SD channels
• 256 MB RAM (512 MB RAM for Windows Vista« and/or for HDTV
• 500 MB disc space for a typical installation of all components
• Minimum of 20 GB available hard disk space for TV recordings, EPG data storage
and temporary DVD files
• Graphics card with at least 64 MB video memory and minimum resolution
of 800 x 600 pixels 32-bit true color
• Graphics card must be fully compliant to DirectX« 9
• 16-bit Windows« compatible sound device
• BDA-compatible TV tuner or video capture card for analog and digital recording (included in the
retail box – USB port required).
• Supported TV sources: analog cable, analog and digital antenna; digital cable and satellite via set-top box
• Broadband Internet access
• Internet Explorer« 6.0 or later
• Have latest drivers for devices installed

Tags
hauppauge , hdtv setup , liquid tv , nero , tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in