Nero Liquid TV: TiVo for your PC - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 09:32 PM
Veteran

What you didn't believe what I said in posts 20, 23 & 27? The only way it would support non-OTA HD is if it worked with the Hauppauge HD-PVR. There has been no indication that it will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 01:22 AM
Rookie

Thumbs down Limits on supported hardware and features.

I installed Nero Tivo PC software today to have a look at this software. To bad it has the same limitations as the Tivo Basic units. Only supports 1 STB. Whats the point of supporting 4 tunners if only 1 can be from a STB. The PC I tested with has 2 x WinTV-PVR-150 MC-Kits. This includes IR Reciever and Blaster. Everything works except the IR Blaster. Other items missing that I could not find is a way of setting the recording quality, which of course would allow to save space by reducing quality. While the interface is the same as tivo, I was expecting more. Support for Media hardware KITS that other software compaines support. If you want we to switch dont ask me to start from scratch, plus pay a subcription fee also. Need HD support using HDMI and multiple STB support. Conversion of MPEG2 to MPEG4 H.264 encoding and support to burn to blue-ray DVD format using standard DVD's or Blueray DVD's. The IPOD converion is Great but nothing that I dont have already. Give me more than I already have, not less. Its a 100% pass for me.

Last edited by cagger; 2008-10-24 at 10:34 AM.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-01-20, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Six or eight weeks after it was released, Nero sent me a retail copy of Liquid TV with a 30 day trial and the IPOD conversion feature disabled.

My overall impression of the product was not favourable.

First, I found the software screwed up my computer resulting in the inability for my PC to go into sleep mode properly. Nero has a bad reputation for leaving background services on your system and this was no different. Even after uninstalling Liquid TV, I am encountering Nero related problems.

Second and the biggest negative was the inability to get listings for both U.S. and Canadian stations in the Guide. In the setup you had to choose U.S. or Canada as your country. This meant that I had to pick either Buffalo (U.S.) or Toronto (Canada) stations to get guide information for.

Third problem is the inability to change preferences without going through the setup again. I inadvertantly did not add the remote during installation. The only way to use it was to go through the whole installation setup again. not fun!

Anyway, this is not a product that I would recommend to Canadians wanting to use this with OTA signals.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-01-26, 12:53 PM
asd

another no to PC TiVo

I must agree with Hugh and admit my disappointment with TiVo for the PC. It wasn't stable on my PC. I had symptoms similar to those of Hugh. Moreover, the program guide updates kept failing. I suspect the failure to update the guide had something to do with the firewall on my PC but I wasn't willing to look for a solution to the guide problem since TiVo for PC was hogging PC resources and preventing proper shutdown. And resetting and making changes is awkward, as Hugh relates. I have since gone to SageTV, thanks to the advice of another thread in DHC.
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 11:59 AM
Rookie

Hauppauge 1212 and LiquidTV

Hi All,

Has anyone tried using the hauppauge 1212 hd-pvr with LiquidTV?

I have recently upgraded to an HD TV and am getting a shaw HD receiver this week. I have been using tivo for a long time and really want to use it with my new setup. The Tivo series 3 won't work in Canada without a CableCard, which of course none of the providers offer. The only other way I can think of to get HD on tivo is through LiquidTV and the 1212.

Does anyone have any other solution to get HD to Tivo?

Looks like I may be forced to use Shaws PVR..

Thanks in advance.

ksed.
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 03:25 PM
asd

Ksed,
You should check out this DHC SageTV discussion thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=98383

I tried TiVo for PC and then SageTV with a Hauppauge HD-PVR and I would never go back to TiVo. Our house is completely served by SageTV server, wirelessly, and the TiVo software has been removed from server Pc and the TiVO series 2 box is collecting dust and will be removed from entertainment centre shortly.
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-05-22, 07:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksed View Post
Hi All,

Has anyone tried using the hauppauge 1212 hd-pvr with LiquidTV?
I have SageTV connected to two of these Hauppauge HD-PVR units. Check out my story here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=104747
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-05-23, 01:38 AM
Rookie

Thanks asd, Wayne,

I read the threads and it looks like sage could possibly be an alternative for me.

I am a little reluctant to go to an HTPC as there always seems to be so much tweaking involved to get it running stable. I was running an HTPC many years ago and I eventually just abandoned it for Tivo. I really like the series 2 Tivo becuase it just works, the interface is great, and the wife can easily use it too. I would imagine the HTPC software/hardware is much more stable/reliable compared to 6 or 7 years ago when I had mine. But after reading through many threads on the board it seems that not much has changed.

How is the sage interface compared to Tivo?
Is there constant tweaking involved? I don't mind some up front tweaking, but I don't want to be messing with it 6 months down the road.

How is live tv?
How long does it take to change a channel?

I really don't want to use Shaw's PVR, I just can't stand the interface. But I think I would rather use the horrible Shaw PVR than deal with an unstable HTPC.
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-05-23, 12:23 PM
asd

Ksed,
I liked the aesthetics of TiVo and such things are subjective but I like SAGE looks at least as much. Depending on the power of the PC you install it on, it can look very cool, with transparent menus over live TV. I find it more stable than the TiVo Liquid TV software and it does more. You can download a 21 day free trial which has every feature enabled. The Hauppauge HD-PVR will run on Sage out of the box and the HD quality is remarkable. Depending on your TV and your PC's video card the picture might even look better via PC than it does straight through the Shaw Motorola 6200 cable box -- mine does. I have a LG 50 inch plasma and the HD quality is stunning via Sage PVR.

The speed of channel changes also depends on your equipment, power of PC and the IR blaster choice. I would recommend buying a USB-UIRT from Sage hardware store, then you could use any remote you and your spouse are familiar with to control the SAGE TV system. Sage will also install USB-UIRT out of the box, with the tweaks being the commands it has to learn from your favorite remote -- even a Logitech one. I use one remote to run my SageTVs, making it easy for my family to endure any tweaks I impose.

There is one minor irritation for some SAGE TV users, related to PVR versus live TV. Since Sage is never "live" there is a minor interruption at the top of the hour when watching live TV. PVRs like SAGE record live TV and there is a new file started at the top of the hour so there is a short time lapse between files. This blip seems only an issue for sports, where you might be unlucky enough to miss Hawks overtime goal, for instance.

I should also point out TiVo is a subscription, variable with the Canbuck (higher these days, thankfully) but Sage is a one time expenditure -- until you get hooked and start buying more clients.

Wayne might have more to add; he's more technically savvy about this stuff than I. But I would say if a rookie geek like me can get SAGE working with very little effort beyond a short learning curve, and still be married, almost anyone can.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-05-23, 01:21 PM
Veteran

The default Sage User Interface is very much like TiVo - if you read my story you will see that I used a Series 1 TiVo for many years. But I prefer the SageMC UI which is more like Windows XP MCE. The UI on Vista and Win7 MCE is slicker but it lacks a lot of functionality for Canadians, especially when it comes to HD.

The amount of tinkering you have to do with Sage is really up to you. I find my configuration very stable - I run Sage on a server in my basement with WHS as an OS. I watch the recorded shows via SageTV extenders and one client PC. Generally the tinkering around is with stuff like Video drivers, codecs, etc. That is not required if you buy the extenders - they are US$200 plus shipping. If you use the same PC for playback and recording then there will be more tweaking. The tinkering that I do is more to add on additional features such as FanArt, etc. and to automatically re-encode shows and save them to different directories. But when it comes to PCs I am an inveterate tinkerer.

As ASD said a USB-UIRT is the best option for channel changing if you are going the IR route and it can control up to 3 cable boxes. Firewire is the best route - it is a touch more work to get going but once it is up and running it is totally stable. The other option for IR, particularly for a receiver, is to buy a TV tuner card with the Windows MCE remote kit which includes an IR blaster. If you look carefully you can find an online site that sells the Hauppauge PVR-150 MCE kit for under $50.

For channel changing you can use IR or firewire if your cable box has firewire. Channel changes in my system take about 4-5 seconds on the HD-PVR tuner and a little less on the other tuners. This is not great if you are a channel surfer - if that is the case you might want to still keep a box connected directly to your TV for surfing - I do this because my wife is a surfer. But I never watch Live TV. Even sports I will watch partly into the game so that I can zap through commercials, intermission, etc. So I don't care how long it takes to change channels.

I find Sage to be great - I have 4 of the extenders and my server has 4 tuners - 2 HD PVRs, one OTA HD tuner and one analog tuner (PVR-150) hooked up to an SD cable box.
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-05-24, 02:23 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the info asd and Wayne.

I think I am going to give sage a try. It seems to be the best solution right now.

If i'm using the media extender will I need much horsepower for the server? I would think the extender does all the decoding and the server just serves up the files correct?
I should be able to get away with a fairly low power system according to the minimum requirements.

I was planning on putting all the hardware in the basement, except the media extender of course. How can I change the channels from upstairs when all the hardware is downstairs?

I also have a NAS with loads of media on it. Can the extender access the NAS directly or does it need to go through the sage server.

Thanks again for all the great info.

ksed

Last edited by ksed; 2009-05-24 at 10:46 AM.
post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-05-24, 10:41 AM
Veteran

You don't need a lot of horsepower for the Sage server -a 2GHZ CPU would be plenty but I think you could get away with less.

In terms of the NAS - when you are using the extender in "Sage extender" mode then it would bo NAS>SagePC>Extender. You can also use the Sage extenders in "Media extender" mode where you don't even need a Sage PC. Then you would just go NAS>Extender.

But I don't think that you will have problems with the first setup (Sage extender mode) and everything would be more consistent that way.
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-05-24, 11:13 AM
Rookie

Thanks Wayne.

One more question.

I was planning on putting all the hardware in the basement, except the media extender of course. How can I change the channels from upstairs when all the hardware is downstairs?

thanks.
post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 2009-05-24, 06:08 PM
Veteran

When you change channels on the extender it tells the SagePC to change the channel of the STB via IR or firewire.

Tags
hauppauge , hdtv setup , liquid tv , nero , tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in