Nero Liquid TV: TiVo for your PC - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Now up on Nero site
Quote:
The following TV Tuner were tested with Nero LiquidTVTM Please note: In general, all TV Tuner using a BDA driver should work with Nero LiquidTVTM. Newly tested and supported devices will be listed on this page.

ATSC

USB TV Tuner cards (US market)

* ADS MiniHDTVUSB
* Cat's Eye USB 3560

Hybrid

Hybrid TV Tuner cards (US market)

* Hauppauge WinTV® HVR 950Q - hybrid
* ATI TV Wonder 600 - hybrid
* ATI TV Wonder 650 Combo - hybrid
* AVerTVHD Volar (A868R) - hybrid
* Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950 - hybrid
* KWorld PlusTV HD Stick 330 - hybrid
* Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick - hybrid
* Pinnacle PCTV HD Stick - hybrid
* Pinnacle PCTV HD Ultimate Stick - hybrid
* Twinhan AD-AU500 – hybrid

Analog

Analog TV Tuner cards

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 06:20 PM
Veteran

This certainly does look interesting as there is a need for active development and competition in this field.

The one MAJOR failing I see is the TiVo subscription crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
or is it just TiVo window dressing on what's already out there (and much less expensive in terms of Sage and BTV).
And this is where my point takes off...
  • VMC or MCE are "free". They came with your Windows install and they also do not require any form of subscription. Even if you needed to buy a new OEM license of Vista Premium, it is only about $130.
  • SageTV is $80 for the media server software. There are no subscription fees. Additional client licenses (For PCs) are only $30. A media server license and an HD extender is only $250.
  • BeyondTV is $70. There are no subscription fees. Client licenses are $30.
  • BeyondTV and SageTV are client/server modeled which is far better than VMC/MCE and Sage has hardware extenders for both SD and HD televisions.

TiVo is renound for its interface but like so many, there is not a lot of focus on "whole home PVR/content delivery". Also, with so many other PC options that have no fees involved, this is a REALLY tough sell. There are flocks of people moving to BeyondTV and SageTV from all of the free and Microsoft options because they are much more superior overall.

If this software is to succeed, I say it MUST lose the fees.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Can we please have a thread that isn't hijacked. I started this thread to discuss Liquidtv from Nero

If others want to compare and contrast different PVR software then by all means do so but can we please leave this one thread to discuss the NERO product!

post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 08:11 PM

hugh my brother and I are really interested in how it might work with HD here in Canada. When you have worked with the product we are anxious to find out how it worked out!

Thanks
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-01, 09:18 AM
Veteran

Ladybugblue - don't forget that the biggest drawback to this Nero/TiVo product is that it can't tune HD channels other than OTA. That is certainly a major showstopper.
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-01, 10:39 AM

According to an earlier post from Hugh that may not be the case. He indicated that it might be used with HD from your provider as well.

I will wait to hear back on his testing to find out for sure, but it may be an option for those that do not want to use their providers HD PVRs. I may be a bit biased as I have been using Tivo for over 5 years, but I not yet found any interface that even compares. Plus I have helped out with beta testing of updates to software and I liked how Tivo wants to know how the actual user finds the software and improves their products. I have yet to find another provider that does this. Yes it costs money but it is well worth my money in my opinion.
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 11:10 AM

This looks amazing, so instead of waiting for Tivo HD to come out here (might never happen) I could just pop this into my old dell, put it next to my BEV box hook it all up and it's exactly like having a tivo HD?
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 12:27 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugblue View Post
According to an earlier post from Hugh that may not be the case. He indicated that it might be used with HD from your provider as well.
I highly doubt that as the only tuner that supports HD from your provider is the HD PVR and it is not on the supported list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugblue View Post
I will wait to hear back on his testing to find out for sure, but it may be an option for those that do not want to use their providers HD PVRs. I may be a bit biased as I have been using Tivo for over 5 years, but I not yet found any interface that even compares.
I have also used a TiVo for a long time and their UI is great but I think that the PC-based PVRs, such as MCE, VMC, BTV, SageTV, are just as good.

nicohockey9 - not quite as you won't be able to get HD, just SD from your BEV box.
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-04, 01:10 PM

I think that's the main question right now... Will it work with your providor???
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-04, 02:21 PM

I did some reading on Nero's website and it does make it a point of saying that it will support 1 set-top box.

http://www.nero.com/enu/liquidtv-features.html

Mind you, the max video resolution will be s-video - no component.

I guess all we can do is wait, have it tested and then confirmed.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-05, 09:56 PM

I think they need to support HDTV capture cards (analog capture), so that we can finally get Rogers HD TiVo. Even if it is just redigitizing through the analog hole. (The Hauppauge HD PVR, for example). This software can remotely control set top boxes, so conceivably, it could easily control a HD settop box. No channel switching through the HDTV capture card needed. You'd be limited to one tuner HDTV recording, but better than nothing.

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-06, 05:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
I think they need to support HDTV capture cards (analog capture), so that we can finally get Rogers HD TiVo.
I agree with you Mark but I doubt that TiVo will support the HD-PVR as they don't want to tick off Hollywood by allowing the analog hole. Sure this device will support using HD boxes upon release - it will use an IR blaster to change channels, just like an S1 TiVo did many years ago. But so far it doesn't allow you to use a tuner that supports component inputs so you are limited to s-video which means that any HD channels are downrezzed and letterboxed. If you want to use an HD-PVR you will have to go with other software, at least for now.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 07:10 PM
asd

installed and working

I've downloaded and successfully installed Nero liquid TV/ TiVo PC. It's a 30 day free trial and it installed with few glitches. I had TiVo desktop installed and discovered the TiVo PC software conflicts when it tries to detect TV tuners, though. It hangs and hangs -- never crashes. You can reinstall TiVO desktop afterwards.

I like it; it saves media files as Mpg2 rather than TiVo files, like the DVR product, so it's easy to process and stream the files. Of course, it also records all the premium stuff that Shaw provides, unlike WMC. It integrates with my TiVo DVR too. It is more flexible than the DVR hardware that retails in Canada.

Moreover, I discovered it works with the USB UIRT. It doesn't "discover" the blaster as USB UIRT but when you start pushing buttons on the keyboard or remote, TiVo tests to figure out the signals and USB UIRT learns to change channels reliably. I bought the USB UIRT on line a while ago and never figured out what to do with it -- still don't. TiVo did it for me.

Yes, there is a subscription fee but you get one year with the download.

I can't say how it handles HD because I'm using the Motorola 700 from Shaw.
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 09:18 PM

According to this page on their website: http://www.nero.com/enu/liquidtv-fea...86c360f1c0755c , it will indeed record in HD.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 09:24 PM

Oh-oh, looks like it will record HD, but apparently only from an off-air source, not from and HD STB.

Tags
hauppauge , hdtv setup , liquid tv , nero , tivo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in