SlingPlayer for Windows 2.0 Public Beta - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-08-16, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

SlingPlayer for Windows 2.0 Public Beta

Sling Media is test the new Sligplayer 2 and and must say its a bit hit with me.

Some of the new features include The new Live Video Buffer with DVR-like control allows you to easily pause, rewind or fast-forward, up to 60 minutes of video on your PC, right from SlingPlayer. An improved guide plus the new skin looks great.

The other great thing for me is the improved streaming, after I upgraded my router to the DIR-655 I've had nothing but problems with the stream stalling but now I'm peeking around 6000 kbps and very smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-08-18, 12:05 PM
Veteran

The new software does indeed look great but I'm still fighting to get a custom remote control profile to work, so I really haven't been able to test it out properly!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-08-18, 04:52 PM
Veteran

I installed it but the audio and video was constantly "hiccupping" - probably every 7-10 seconds, there was a break-up in sound and video.

So, I switched back to version 1.5, and my Bell PVR (9242) remote control had lost the ability to PIP and SWAP PIP (they were there, but greyed out on the remote).

Finally had to switch the remote address to "1" (it had been on "4"); and then all was right with the world again. Unfortunately, this meant re-programming a couple other remotes in the media room.....argh! But it's beta software - we knew that going in, so Slingbox is still one of my favourite gadgets.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-09-01, 03:27 PM

Talking New Sling Player Software works great with Rogers Scientific Atlanta Explorer 940

The new Sling Player software works great for me. I connected my old Slingbox AV to an extra Rogers SA Explorer 940 i got just for the Slingboxafter swithing from Bell ExpressVu for Condos. The new PVR function works great. T

he old SlingPlayer software didn't have remote codes for the Bell Motorolla STB, so I had to hunt for the code script on the internet and save the script to the Slingbox hardware. Hopefully the new Sling Player software has Motorolla codes included, so others with Bell ExpressVu for Condos don't have to go through all that bother.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-09-01, 03:39 PM

The new Slingplayer is indeed a nice welcome improvement. I won't be happy though until they allow you to record video even if it's short clips at a minimum.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-09-01, 03:51 PM

It is a definite improvement, but I wish I could find a Motorola remote profile that had both skip forward and skip back. Some have one (Comcast) and some have the other. Anyone found one that will work?

I'm also hoping to see the guide feature updated for Canadian postal codes. That looks pretty sweet.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-09-02, 01:01 PM
Veteran

I had a similar problem with some obscure satellite box one of my client's has so I just created a profile from scratch. It takes a couple of different JP1 "hacker" tools to accomplish, but it's really not all that difficult at the end of the day.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-09-04, 09:52 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Unhappy A little good, a lot bad

Quote:
The other great thing for me is the improved streaming, after I upgraded my router to the DIR-655 I've had nothing but problems with the stream stalling but now I'm peeking around 6000 kbps and very smooth.
Me too, but that's about the only good thing I can find with it. The "favorites" is way worse - I can't find a way to add my own icons since there are channels I want to add that aren't in their list. I can't add controls - like power, etc.

I also enter channels directly from the keyboard like I used to with version 1.5.

I see now that I almost never use the remotes, just my mouse and keyboard. This new version doesn't fit for users like me.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-09-06, 01:09 AM

Yeah, the favourites bug me... You basically can't add a channel that's not on their list. There is also no way to re-arrange them. So, if you are picky like me, that you want to do them numerically, if you forgot to add one, you have to delete the ones you have added, and start over.

They also said there is this amazing program guide, but of course, like many other TV products, it doesn't work in Canada. I am sticking with 1.5 for as long as I can.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-09-12, 12:11 PM
Veteran

Location: Toronto/Etobicoke - Bloor/Royal York/Queensway/Islington
Post Beta Version2 is out

I downloaded Beta version 2 last night.

On the good side - the bug that wasn't allowing me to enter commands from the keyboard appears to be fixed.

On the bad side - video seems to stream at a lower rate and seems choppier. Favourites is the same as beta ver 1.

version 1.5 is still the most useful for me.

A-D DB4e & CS5, CM 4221 & 7778, TiVo Premiere & Roamio
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-09-12, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

It still is a beta so there is hope things will be ironed out. I'm still stoked that it works so much better with my router.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-04, 09:31 AM

The software is no longer in beta and has been released as a production release.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 05:19 PM

Does the final version support Canadian postal codes ? Or is there still no guide or remote (see thread here about this: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=93190) ?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

There's no guide yet, only a favorites menu. I'm still not sure what all the fuss is over the guide, I use the one in my satellite receiver.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2008-10-29, 07:59 AM

if any of you are still having problem finding remote codes let me know what model yur set top box is and I might be able to point you in the right direction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in