Experiences With the Hauppauge HD PVR - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-06-14, 12:20 PM
ac

A quick question on the setup on the HD-PVR to Media Center. I have seen a couple references to DVBSBridge and DVBS Link to allow Media center to see the device as a tuner. Are they the same thing or is it for different functionality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-06-15, 01:27 PM
jem

I haven't gotten around to installing the HD-PVR yet, I've been too busy. However, I have been thinking about it, and xraycat may be the best person to answer this for me.
As stated earlier, I want to be able to use the HD-PVR as well as the Adaptec dual tuner on my Win7 machine. All three of the tuners will be using SA settop boxes from Rogers. Is there any reason I couldn't set up the three tuners and just use the Media Center settings to copy the Guide for the HD-PVR? All three will be essentially the same service, but only the HD-PVR will actually recieve the HD feeds.
post #123 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-06-17, 05:27 PM

DVBSBridge was the first attempt by DVBLogic to get the HD-PVR working in Media Center. DVBLink is a more elegant way of getting the same functionality. Essentially what both do is fool Media Center into seeing the HD-PVR as a DVB-S (satellite) tuner. Because obviously cable and satellite providers that use STBs aren't compatible with an actual DVB tuner then there is back-end work done to grab the correct EPG data and map those channels to the "DVB Tuner" for your provider.

Don't bother with DVBSBridge, just go and use DVBLink instead. Once it is out of beta they will charge for it. Hopefully when Win7 is released though Hauppage/Microsoft will also release a driver that allows the HD-PVR to natively work in Media Center (which I heard they are working on and should happen).

post #124 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-06-17, 05:30 PM

I don't know why you shouldn't be able to use your NTSC tuners and the HD-PVR; I would think you'd have to set up Media Center to work with the cable tuners and then do the DVBSLink setup to add the HD-PVR after.

I don't care about recording SD material so I don't even want to attempt getting my Adaptec USB dual-tuner to work with my HD-PVR in case it messes something up with my HD-PVR set up. Maybe try the DVBLogic forums and see what they say.
post #125 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-06-18, 08:25 AM

I will just add that the DVBLink program is not too hard to get going and the forums definitely help.

I have Win7MC, the HD-PVR and firewire channel changing working. So far so good!

KDL52XBR5 / AVR-689 / 5.1 RM85 / Sub PSW125 / DCT6200 / Xbox 360 / Popcorn Hour A-110 / Harmony 670
post #126 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-06-24, 01:01 PM

They have just released version 1 of DVBLink. It offers a 30-day trial afterwhich you will have to pay to use it.
post #127 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-04, 04:21 PM

Can i watch LIVE TV on PC?!?!!?!?!?!

Hi Guys,

I have one IMPORTANT question that i'm still not sure what the answer is:

Can i use this, as is, with my rogers box, to watch LIVE HD on my PC?????????? I mean i know i will technically be watching a recording, but can i watch at the same time???

Thats all i care about for now, as i have no HDTV in my ROOM, only my PC with 30" LCD monitor, and my monitor has no component inputs, and no scaler..... so i cant hook any STB directly to it.

Basically i want to use it as an HD input for my PC. So i could also hook up an xbox or PS3 and play games.... ????????????????

Do i NEED to buy any additional SOFTWARE (SAGE) to watch LIVE TV??? Or can i get by with just the software in the box?

Is there an issue recording/watching LIVE TV at the same time?????

Also, would this new SAGE TV HD Theater box do the same/MORE??

Thank you,

Colin
post #128 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-04, 05:14 PM

Colin - yes, this will allow you to watch your cable box and your ps3/xbox in HD on your pc, at the same time as you're recording. Your mileage will vary depending on how powerful your pc is. You'll need an optical cable to get digital sound in.

Be warned, the box seems to have a high failure rate, although Hauppauge is good about replacing them.
post #129 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-04, 05:27 PM

thanx for the reply,

so i can do that with the included software? And maybe you could also use vlc? im so confused....

And yes, do the new ones come with a fan now?
post #130 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-04, 06:20 PM

That will work with live TV. I don't know with video games, some tuners have a noticeable delay that affects video game performance. However if you're looking to connect a 360 there is a VGA cable connector and if you're looking at a PS3 you could try an HDMI to DVI cable.
post #131 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-04, 07:00 PM

Yea, that's true, the lag would kill video off the PS3. Gaming wouldn't work very well. You'd be better off using a s-video into your video card directly, but then you wouldn't get HD.

I haven't tried to stream using vlc, but will try it once I get a new box back from Hauppauge - yes, mine died. VLC does not play the recorded HD videos too well (jerky), so I don't know. The recorded software works fine for streaming.
post #132 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-04, 09:56 PM
Veteran

If all you care about is watching live TV then why can't you hook the HDMI output of your Rogers box to the input of your monitor? That's a lot cheaper than spending $250 or so on the HD-PVR if you don't care about recording. You could even buy a 24" monitor for less than what you would spend for the HD-PVR so you could use that as a TV monitor hooked up to your Rogers box or as a second monitor for your PC.

I would highly recommend SageTV if you plan to use this as a HD-PVR as adding the cost of Sage is pretty cheap compared to the cost of the HD-PVR.

The Sage HD Theater box is essentially an extender. It allows you to watch anything from Sage, such as downloaded video files (i.e AVIs, MKVs, Divx, etc) on a TV without requiring a PC. It will also allow you to watch LiveTV on this TV streamed for your PC which is acting as the Sage server - assuming that you have a PC on your LAN acting as a Sage server. Or you can use it as a standalone extender which doesn't require any other Sage software. These boxes are great - I have four of them in my house to allow me to distribute recorded TV to most rooms of my house.

The included software should act the way you want it to for basic recordings but I haven't really used mine much at all since I use Sage.
post #133 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-05, 10:11 AM

Thanx again.
So it all works, but you cant get fullscreen with the built in software. I'm trying SageTV, having some issues, sometimes it fills the whole screen, sometimes the whole screen is black with the video taking up just over a quarter of the screen..... kinda weird.. Sage also seems to autorecord as i have tons of tiny vid files in my save dir, dunno how to disable that feature.... I have a week to figure it out or i'll return it...

Also, the program info in sage, the listings, does all that work if you have a rogers STB? When im on channel 519 Sage still thinks im on channel 4 or whatever..... not sure how to get that working either
post #134 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-05, 04:53 PM

Oh, BTW, Doesnt Windows 7 MCE look AWESOME!!!!!!! I'm kinda excited about watching TV again!!!!!!

WOOT!
post #135 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-05, 07:20 PM

OK. I received my HD PVR and having some issues.
Here is the set-up
Hauppauge HD PVR hooked up to Rogers 8300 PVR
Windows 7 MCE with DVBlink installed.

I now have audio and video on the MCE screen but if I go to MCE guide I can not change the channels.

Only my rogers remote I can change the channels . If I use my keyboard to jump on the same channel in MCE guide I think I can record as long as they are simulatenious. But I can not change the channels using MCE guide (with or without remote - or mouse).

I have these remotes (& IR Blasters).
Original HD PVR blaster and remote (hooked up to HD PVR and installed drivers but not sure).
Original MCE 2005 Remote and blaster (working)
Rogers 8300 HD Remote
Harmony 550.
I also have Microsoft Wireless Keyboard and Mouse 7000 (Bluetooth).

So where should I look at so that when i change the channel on MCE the rogers box also changes the channel.
Do I need to buy a firewire cable and card (since my comp does not have FW port).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in