Experiences With the Hauppauge HD PVR - Page 23 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #331 of 352 (permalink) Old 2012-12-11, 05:11 PM
Veteran

It depends on your definition of "good". If by "good" you mean "reliable", then the answer is no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 352 (permalink) Old 2012-12-11, 05:41 PM
Veteran

The current hardware and software is much better than early versions. It works "OK" with the supplied software for recording. It also has some remote TV functionality with software like MediaPortal. However, don't expect to do much more than manually record unless you are willing to do a lot of extra setup. Compared to other PC solutions for recording HD, it's probably the best available, at least at a reasonable price. The Hauppauge Colossus might be slightly better but I don't own one. There is a separate thread on those.
post #333 of 352 (permalink) Old 2012-12-12, 09:00 AM
Veteran

A rundown of what I know:

Hauppauge has updated to the HD-PVR2. Externally, it adds HDMI in and passthrough.

Avermedia has devices practically comparable to the Hauppauge devices.
Avermedia has as well the GameCap HD, which is a standalone box with HD component encoder that records to its internal HDD, which you can copy from after. You supply the HDD though, separate from the purchase price.

Elgato and Roxio each have component encoders. Roxio have a cheaper one that is 480p only, and a more costly with 1080i spport.

post #334 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-03-02, 04:31 PM

I'd like to know if the Hauppauge HD PVR or the New HD-PVR2 work with Shaw's Motorola boxes, such as the DCX-3400, using component to USB cable connected to a computer (MacBook Pro).

I realize it might be necessary to disconnect the HDMI cable from the Motorola box, which makes me think there's not much point to wait for the HD-PVR2.

Anyone using the Hauppauge for HD with a DCX-3400?

Telus 4K PVR & 2 wireless boxes; switched from Shaw for more HD and 4K channels, 3 AppleTVs
post #335 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-03-03, 12:39 PM

The Hauppauge HD PVR should work with any device that has component outs. I've used it with the Motorola 3416 and also the Shaw Gateway.
post #336 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-03-03, 12:44 PM
Veteran

There have been issues with some devices due to poor quality output. Updated drivers have solved some of them. Audio sync issues are common. I get bad audio sync with the HDPVR-630.
post #337 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-03-03, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VuMax View Post
The Hauppauge HD PVR should work with any device that has component outs. I've used it with the Motorola 3416 and also the Shaw Gateway.
I'm being a bit cautious, because I've been able to capture HD through FireWire to my MacBook Pro from my DCT6412 III, but not from my DCX3400-M. It gives me M2T files. I can only record non copy-protected programs, but I believe that component recording would allow me to archive anything in HD. (I do my archiving by playing back material I've already recorded on the Motorola PVR.)

Since I do not need to capture live telecasts or change channels, I figure some of the complaints some people have with the Hauppauge would not apply to me. I would have to use the third party software for the Mac, though.

I do not have to hurry, because I can use my present set-up until my DCT6412 packs it in. I haven't figured out if the new Hauppauge HD PVR2 machine would have any relevant advantages over the current model. It doesn't seem to be available in any stores yet, even in the U.S.

Some time ago, I tried an EyeTV HD box, but connected via component to my iMac at the time, I got a stuttering picture. I returned it right away. I noticed recently that my local BestBuy store had several of those on the shelf, marked as "open box", leaving me thinking that its common for people to return them.

Thanks for your previous response.

Telus 4K PVR & 2 wireless boxes; switched from Shaw for more HD and 4K channels, 3 AppleTVs
post #338 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-03-03, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert View Post
Audio sync issues are common. I get bad audio sync with the HDPVR-630.
Audio sync would be very important to me, since I'm recording musical programs. Close-ups of singers faces would be distracting, if their lips were not in sync with what they're singing!

post #339 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-03-04, 10:37 AM
dgm

meshmellow, I use the Hauppauge 1212 in the mode you describe (convert PVR'ed material to computer files), works fine. Have never had a lipsync or visible quality problem that was not present in the original broadcast.
post #340 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-12-14, 05:08 PM

My Hauppauge 1219 seems to have stopped working two days ago. I cannot get a picture or sound to capture from either of my 3400's (I'm on Shaw). Anyone else getting any issues...with a Shaw 3400 box?
post #341 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-12-14, 05:38 PM

I have a 1212 and can check in a little while. I'm using a MacBook Pro and HDPVR software. I had issues with recent versions of the software with Mavericks, but when I reverted to an older version of the software, I was able to record again.

post #342 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-12-14, 05:45 PM

Thanks meshmellow. I cannot get the picture or sound to show on my computer.....the USB cables are working ........ so I'm not sure what the issue could be. I also re-installed the software......did not help though.
post #343 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-12-14, 06:34 PM

It appears to be working with my DCX3400. The software I use is called HDPVRCapture. I won't know for sure, I guess, for 2 hours when the recording will finish. I see and hear it in the VLC Preview.

I believe your Hauppauge model is the same as mine, except for the addition of French for Canada. So, I figure you use a component connection from the Shaw PVR.

Have you pulled the power to the Hauppauge and then restarted it? Seems to me I solved some issues with mine that way in the past.

post #344 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-12-14, 07:02 PM

Thanks meshmellow, I really appreciate you checking for me. I have tried almost everything including pulling the power..........I will have to keep trying. Since I am in Edmonton you would not think Surrey and ED would have the same software updates etc?

I wonder if Shaw has updated the boxes in Alberta somehow with some type of update causing this not to work anymore?
post #345 of 352 (permalink) Old 2013-12-14, 09:13 PM

I sure hope not.

My recording turned out fine. All working normally. I hope you find a quick, simple solution before the holiday! When mine stopped working, due to computer software updates, I thought maybe my Hauppauge had gone bad -- so I know how you feel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in