Experiences With the Hauppauge HD PVR - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #256 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-08-20, 02:24 PM
Veteran

950q USB Tuner

I'm going to HongKong to work for a couple weeks. Will my 950 UBS ATSC tuner work over there?
I have no idea even if the channels are in the same place?

Samsung TV, Pio-Elite AVR, OppoBD, Wharfedale Speakers, Kicker/Crown Subs, DB-4e OTA:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-08-21, 01:17 PM

Maybe not. According to this chart

http://en.dtvstatus.net/

Hong Kong is dmb.
post #258 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-08-25, 02:25 PM

Just a quick update.. I just noticed today that the HD-PVR driver (v1.5.7.0) now supports Windows 7 Media Center directly (without DVBLINK.. which I bought)

Even though i got DVBlink working with MCE7, its still a lot of hassle and I have some issues. MCE7 support should make setting up a lot easier out of the box.

Check it out: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...ort_hdpvr.html

I guess that might be what DigitalFanatic was saying but I just wanted to specify for those interested. I'll try it out later tonight.

Panny 34WX15, BenQ FP241VW, Yamaha YHTB5570, Pace 551, Toshiba A30, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Harmony 680, HD-PVR, PS3

post #259 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-08-26, 11:26 PM

the win7 support is still pretty beta

the dvblink software is still quite a bit better (imo)
post #260 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-08-28, 02:13 PM
Rookie

Alright...so far everything is working perfectly.

I uninstalled everything Hauppage related, except for the HDPVR driver. Installed DVBLink (2.x) and after some minor tweaking with the config, MCE is tuning channels properly, using my eHome flasher (MCE).

On a related note, I was not getting MCE guide program data for DiscoveryHD and after switching to DVBLink, Media Center is now retrieving it. The stream is also much more stable. I couldn't be happier. Now I just need a bigger disk...
post #261 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-08-29, 08:55 PM

Right now I am using mce on my pc with Rogers HD cable box and I stream to xbox 360 to watch tv. I also have a Hauppage HD PVR. I am thinking of upgrading my vista pc to windows 7 home premium so I can record HD right in mce using the HD PVR.

I was wondering if I will still be able to watch live tv, pause and record HD on my 360 with this setup?
post #262 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 03:47 PM

I uninstalled everything (DVBlink, drivers etc.. ) and reinstalled the new drivers and it seems to work perfectly for me Win7 MCE with guide info etc.. I haven't set up the irblaster with MCE yet so not sure about that. My HD-PVR sits pretty far from my STB so will try it soon when i get a longer usb cable. Currently I don't see the need to have DVBlink anymore.

@Tikker : I'm not sure what you mean when you say windows drivers are still beta and DVBlink is still a bit better. I understand maybe if you have Vista MCE etc.. DVBlink needs more setting up to do for the same results (from what i've seen so far). Not to say that DVBlink doesn't work (I bought it and it worked), but I still prefer native support. Also there are no beta drivers on Hauppauge's site.. the 1.5.7.0 drivers are now the "latest" official drivers. Also kind of annoying for me to have to get a new "key" to reinstall DVBlink.

@Digitalfanatic: Did you install the new 1.5.7.0 drivers on Win7 ? Did you try it without DVBlink first? I was under the impression you were trying to install the new drivers on their own and see if that worked.

AH well, as long as it works, that's all that matters.. still would like to know why DVBlink is better though.

Panny 34WX15, BenQ FP241VW, Yamaha YHTB5570, Pace 551, Toshiba A30, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, Harmony 680, HD-PVR, PS3
post #263 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 06:28 PM
Veteran

let us know your progress with the irblaster. I also want to know how to set that up. Sad that we even need it. (lack of cablecard)
post #264 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-09-01, 07:04 PM

I got my HD-PVR setup done with MCE win 7 and a xbox 360 as an extender yesterday, and WOW this is what a GUIDE should be , man its difficult to go back to that god awful thing Rogers calls a guide.
I just can't get over the things you can do with this MCE Guide!

unfortunately not all is rosy though,it takes about 20-25 seconds to change channels and I get a blue screen at first when changing channels which says "weak tv signal"

If I can get this fixed I will make the switch full time and add another extender to the upstairs TV.

I have read about using firewire to change channels with my rogers 4250 but I am not sure I am comfortable playing around with the firmware on it so I am hoping there is another possible solution to this slow channel changing
post #265 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 01:08 AM

Unfortunately that seems to be a permanent function of the HDPVR. It is very slow to load another channel, especially if the aspect ratio changes.

Have you tried adding channel logos yet? It's a very neat touch.

Has anyone yet had any success using the native drivers for the HDPVR with an IR blaster? I'd love to change from DVBLink which keeps messing with my channels over to a native solution but I need the IR blaster and significant downtime would not be appreciated around here.
post #266 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 08:51 AM

I really hope they come out with a new driver or some other fix for the slow channel speed. It's really the only issue that is holding me back from using MCE Win 7 full time.

No, I have not tried adding channels logos yet, I assume you are talking about the channels from my http://mychannellogos.com/default.aspx, these are the only ones I have found (for a small donation).

With regards to the IR Blaster, when I upgraded to Win 7 and updated to 1.5.7 for my HD PVR I updated the software for the IR Blaster but I don't recall specifically being instructions to update the IR Blaster driver. I followed the instructions from:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/suppor...ort_hdpvr.html

In the device manager how can you tell what driver version the IR blaster is using?

Last edited by 57; 2010-09-02 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote removed.
post #267 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 08:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
It's really the only issue that is holding me back from using MCE Win 7 full time.
Actually most folks are reffering to it as 7MC now. MCE was Windows XP Media Centre Edition but MC is now included in almost all versions of 7.
post #268 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-09-02, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
No, I have not tried adding channels logos yet, I assume you are talking about the channels from my http://mychannellogos.com/default.aspx, these are the only ones I have found (for a small donation).
That's the program. Using that program you can load custom image files, so you can find the right ones for most Canadian channels. I found most of them on Wikipedia.
post #269 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 11:45 AM

@BerinG

attempt to hook up 2 hd-pvr's to 1 HTPC and you'll understand what I mean

(you can't with the MCE drivers. you can with DVBlink)
post #270 of 352 (permalink) Old 2010-09-03, 03:36 PM
Rookie

If you read my earlier post, I originally tried to use the HD-PVR with the Hauppage software. I did use the latest driver they have available, it's the same version that is currently available.

I had no luck getting the HD-PVR to change channels on my SA 4250HD terminal using the provided irblaster. I'm not so sure it is entirely a problem with the hauppage IR apps, but maybe a combination of my stuff.

Once I got fed up, I uninstalled everything from hauppage except for the hardware driver and then installed DVBLink. DVBLink allows me to completely bypass the ir control from the hd-pvr and only use my eHome flasher to control my cable box (Scientific Atlanta 4250HD). Works nearly perfectly.

I didn't really want to mess with firewire, but I'm assuming it works better than the ir flasher.

So basically, installed hauppage driver, forget about the mce integration app and the two ir apps that are supplied with the driver, installed dvdblink...watching and recording tv now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in