Experiences With the Hauppauge HD PVR - Page 14 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #196 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-15, 10:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Wayne, with regards to your comment about analog tuner, I have one of the HP Servers so adding a tuner is not a option and I don't have a monitor directly connected to it, maintenance is done via any pc via WHS home console.
Do these HP servers not have any open PCI or PCI-e slots? Even if the answer is no you can always use a USB based tuner - like the Hauppauge 950Q for SD.

Quote:
I can still record SD from my 4250 on this HD PVR though right?
Yes - the only disadvantage is that the files are in H.264 format rather than MPEG-2 which makes them harder to edit and/or burn to DVD if that is what you want to do with them.

Quote:
And speaking of cablebox, I noticed you are using the 3250 HD, I have read a few posts here and there that the 4250 has some issues - is this true? let me be more specific, a poster indicated that when he upgraded to the 4250 from the 3250 all of his TV SD programming was pillar boxed , black bars on all sides? Now this is not a issue for me on my widescreen tv but it will be on my 4:3 TV upstairs if I get a second extender
That pillarboxing is likely due to not using the correct settings of his 4250HD - remember how you have to go in and tell the cable box to use 1080i, 480p. etc? And then you have to select the Passthrough setting or something like that. I am pretty sure that is a pilot error problem rather than hardware.

I tried to use 4250s but I had some problems getting firewire set up for changing channels. I don't think that problem was insurmountable, I just had to get some other drivers, but I didn't bother playing around with it since I had 3250s at other TVs that I could transfer over. The main difference between a 4250 and a 3250 is the 3250 doesn't have an HDMI port. Since an HDMI port is not needed in this instance the 3250s work perfectly well. If you don't plan on using firewire to change channels then there shouldn't be any difference between the two. And if your server doesn't come with firewire then that likely isn't an option. If you can use firewire then I would recommend it as a more elegant and stable solution - not that I have had any problems with IR. FYI - I use firewire for changing channels on my two 3250HDs that are connected to HD-PVRs and IR (a USB-UIRT) for channel changing on my SD cable box. The SD cable boxes don't have firewire ports but the HD boxes (8300HD, 3250HD, 4250HD) do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 03:09 PM

No 5.1 sound when I stream to Ps3 for longer recordings from HD-PVR

well I finally got around to full fledge recording HD material after a few weeks of testing.
I originally tested the HD-PVR on a XP PC but now have installed on a Vista PC.

I am in full swing with recording some HD movies and have 1 major issue.

Why am I not getting 5.1 dolby digital sound when I stream to my Ps3, I have tested this extensively and it works perfectly on all my tests (albeit short 5 minutes tests). But now that I am recording something longer eg. a movie I am only getting 2 channel digital dolby.

Yes, the source is 5.1, yes my settings are correct on my capture module and yes I am using a optical cable.
post #198 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 04:31 PM
Veteran

You've probably tried this but have you disconnected the analog audio cable? Are you using more recent drivers - the earliest drivers did not support digital audio. Are you sure your cable box is set up to output digital audio?

post #199 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 04:40 PM

hey wayne, tx again for trying to help me on this.

I don't have any analog audio cables connected to my HD-PVR, I do have analog cables connected to my win tv 1800 tuner though but that should obviously not effect the HD-PVR. What is bizarre is that I can get 5.1 over and over , test after test but when I go and record something of "substance" (large in size like a movie) in streams in 2.0 - very confused.

You said "Are you sure your cable box is set up to output digital audio? " I don't recall making any settings on my 4250HD box, but If I am getting 5.1 on all my 5 minute "short" stream tests it must be setup properly - right?

I am recording another movie right now, will be finished in a few minutes, I bet you its the same problem.
post #200 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-30, 04:59 PM

well interesting development, I just did a test for the last recording and I was able to stream 5.1

the only thing I did different was copy the file over to my server vs cutting and pasting, this makes absolutely no sense!!!

other then that, the only other issue maybe how the audio starts but that is a long shot. Sometimes 2.0 kicks in on my capture module before the movie starts but it switches to 5.1. I would think it would capture whatever is coming in.
post #201 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-10-08, 02:10 PM

Hi all

I am about to switch to new Bell IPTV service with fiber internet line.
I was wondering whether if you know that Hauppauge HD PVR will work with the new Bell terminal on Windows 7 Media Center

http://entertainment.bell.ca/en/package.html
post #202 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-10-08, 02:19 PM

The only thing the HD-PVR needs to be "compatible" with a device is for that device to have component video output.
post #203 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-10-08, 02:50 PM

Sorry what I meant was can I control IPTV receiver channel changing with HD PVR ( I use the 1geek1tool) plug-in.

If so how do we change channels (via Firewire or some other means)
post #204 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-10-08, 04:55 PM

You use the IR blaster. You'll need the Bell remote and hopefully it will be "learnable".
post #205 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 11:38 AM

Hauppauge HD-PVR - Channel switch speed?

How fast is the Hauppauge HD-PVR for live-tv channel switching compared to directly using the STB?

Not sure if it'll be an improvement for live-tv if there's lag.

Last edited by 57; 2009-10-20 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #206 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Channel changing with the HD-PVR is rather slow - I would estimate at about 5 seconds per channel change at least in my Sage system. That is a couple of seconds slower than the box itself although the box can be a lot slower when you are switching formats (i.e. from 480p to 1080i) depending on how you set up your box and your TV. And I use firewire which should be a wee bit faster than using an IR blaster.

The good news is that you should never have to change channels as the whole point in having a PVR is that you never watch live TV - you are freed from the tyranny of TV schedules, comemrcials and other breaks. Most of my TV watching is sports and I never watch live - often just delayed by an hour or a few minutes but never live.

The other option, although more expensive, is to still have a cable box at your TV(s) to facilitate live TV watching. This is what I have since I bought most of my boxes years ago and my wife is still a channel surfer.
post #207 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 01:24 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
the box can be a lot slower when you are switching formats (i.e. from 480p to 1080i)
The time delay is not really a function of the STB. It's the TV that determines the time taken for the format change. Some TVs are much faster than others with a variance that I've seen of about 3 seconds to 10 seconds depending on the make/model of the TV. As you say if you set the output format to say 1080i/Fixed, then there is no format change to worry about.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #208 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 02:51 PM
Veteran

The HD-PVR is slow to resync on any change in input. Format changes are a real issue. Watching live TV with the HD-PVR is not a good experience. That's mainly due to delays in encoding and the fact that there are many points of possible failure. I've done it over a network, (server > HTPC) but gave up and went back to a dedicated PVR. If all the glitches in software, etc are worked out it might work Ok but it takes some effort to get there. Don't expect to do a lot of channel changing though. I find the best thing about the HD-PVR with HTPC software is the improvement in guide info. That makes it much better for recording.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #209 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 05:28 PM

I don't think the question makes much sense. The HD-PVR doesn't do any channel changing since it's an input device and NOT a TV tuner. How long it takes varies based on the HTPC, the software, the STB, and the channel changing method.

Using the built in IR blasters is definitely not recommended, they have a lot of problems. Use an MS IR receiver, a USB-UIRT, or firewire/serial for much better results.
post #210 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-10-20, 06:43 PM
Veteran

It does make sense. The USB-UIRT slows down channel changes because it takes several seconds to recover from changes in input. It goes like this...
1. Small delay for STB to change channel.
2. Long delay for HD-PVR to sync to new analog data, buffer new data and deliver new digitally encoded data stream.
3. Small delay for HTPC software to buffer, decode and display new video/audio.
The HD-PVR is definitely the slow link when live TV is being watched and channels, or any other analog data stream attributes, are changed.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in