Experiences With the Hauppauge HD PVR - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 01:01 PM
Veteran

The firestb drivers seem to work better with the Rogers SA3250HD than with the other HD boxes - robinprice will have different boxes since he is a Maritimer. The Sage forums have some threads on how to then use this in conjunction with Sage. It is not too hard to set up and get working and it takes no maintenance once it is done. The Hauppauge IR drivers have some shortcomings so this is a better solution, partiuclarly if you have multiple tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 01:40 PM

Can Linksys DMA2100 stream HDPVR generated live TV (or recorded ones for that matter) over a gigabit network?
post #168 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 01:44 PM

Also one last question. Has any of you figured out how to fix the new rogers channel line set-up changes? Rogers made the change yesterday and in MCE in Windows 7 I download the latest guide but the channel numbers on HD area are still not the new ones yet.

post #169 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 01:51 PM

No, The DMA2100/2200s can't do H.264 the way the 360s can. They can handle mpeg2 HD (for ATSC) but even though they have the technical capability to do H.264, Linksys has pretty much confirmed that a patch to enable it will never happen.

For the new channels, I have found a way to fix it. I'm using Vista with TV pack still so it may be a little different for Windows 7. Add a new channel with the correct channel number. If you're using multiple sources make sure to disable any that may show up that can't do the HD feed. Then, copy (not merge) the listings from the original channel with the wrong number and disable the original. It's kind of messy but it works, and I'm sure before long they'll update the officials with the right numbers.
post #170 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 03:52 PM

Thank you for your very informative replys Colin.
Too bad that the Linksys extender can not stream Win 7 Video since I found one for $170 brand new in Toronto. It looks very slick and completely silent.

It is a shame that Cisco (the owner of Linksys) is killing the extender firmware upgrade.
post #171 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 03:55 PM
Veteran

@augenblick - $170 seems kind of high. These are discontinued and they were going for well under US$100 at sites like Amazon. Cisco aka Linksys never seemed to sell a lot of these and this is the second time that they tried it as they released a previous version for XP MCE - the Linksys WMCE54AG. I have five of these at home but they only work with XP MCE, not Vista or W7, and even then they won't stream digital TV.

For example:http://www.geektonic.com/2008/12/dea...-extender.html
post #172 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-26, 04:17 PM

I picked up my DMA2100 for $120 new a few weeks ago. It can still connect and stream video with Windows 7 from NTSC and ATSC sources, the only problem is the HD-PVR. And who knows, if we get official MC support out of CEDIA next month maybe they'll find a way. In the meantime I have mine hooked up in a room with an old SD TV.
post #173 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-11, 08:47 AM

how does this external hd pvr connect to your pc monitor if your pc monitor does not have component inputs?
post #174 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-11, 10:08 AM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hauppauge+hd+pvr

It's a USB tuner... that accepts HD video over component video inputs and 5.1 audio over optical SPDIF.
post #175 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-11, 10:13 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
how does this external hd pvr connect to your pc monitor if your pc monitor does not have component inputs?
This device is NOT a PVR in itself, it is a tuning device for a computer. You wouldn't actually connect the device to a monitor to watch your PVR'ed TV shows - you connect the component output from your cable/sat box to the component inputs of the HD-PVR and then connect a USB from the HD-PVR to your PC.

You can also connect the component output of the HD-PVR to your monitor - this just passes through the signal that is going into the component inputs, it does not output the video file from your PC. I would recommend against this last step since you will have conflicts between PVR'ed shows and live TV - after years of experience in this I have found that you should always use a dedicated cable/sat box for a PC based PVR so that it doesn't interrupt your live TV watching and/or your live TV watching doesn't cause you to miss recording shows. But there is no point in watching live TV if you have the proper setup - I never do and most of my TV watching is sports.
post #176 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-11, 10:31 AM

so what is the interface to record? or if I plan on using vista home media centre then I guess I would need something like dvblink to work with vista home media centre correct? or do you recommend something else?

- http://1geek1tool.com/2009/06/hdpvr/...-for-hdpvr-1-0

I also plan to burn to bluray player, any recommends on blank bluray disks , brand, best price?
post #177 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-11, 10:47 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
so what is the interface to record? or if I plan on using vista home media centre then I guess I would need something like dvblink to work with vista home media centre correct? or do you recommend something else?

- http://1geek1tool.com/2009/06/hdpvr/...-for-hdpvr-1-0

I also plan to burn to bluray player, any recommends on blank bluray disks , brand, best price?
I would recommend SageTV as your PVR as it natively supports the HD-PVR and has done so for over a year.

To use the HD-PVR with Win7 I do believe you need DVBlink although there is talk that Win7 MC will directly support the HD-PVR.

I never burn content to optical disks I keep everything online - my Sage server runs WHS and has 5.2TB of hard drives (and I am now running low on space). I have four SageTV extenders in my house, plus one PC client, so I can watch my recorded content pretty much anywhere in my house. If I want to take my content with me I transfer it to a laptop.

If you want to read more about my setup then check out this writeup http://www.geektonic.com/2009/04/med...-setup-by.html
post #178 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-11, 11:33 AM

excellent info and advice wayne,

I had planned to start slow but after reading your last post about WHS and Sage having a WHS version (http://www.sagetv.com/download.html?bbidx) I may go this route instead.

I have WHS and had planned to just run the windows media center connector to allow for access to recorded programming.

Hypothetical, if I go this route, instead of sage extenders, can I just use my Xbox 360's (I assume they just work with media center? and if yes can you stream HD from the WHS to them?
post #179 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-11, 11:51 AM
Veteran

I think you should be able to play the files - the HD files are in .ts files using the H.264 codec. You will have to play back using the non- Media Center extender media library. I have an Xbox as well so I will try this when I get a chance.

The benefit of the Sage extenders is that they have a totally consistent interface as the PC version of Sage and can also play back live TV if you want. Therefore you could go to a situation where you have no cable/sat boxes at your TVs - only at your WHS box. You probably saw the photo of my setup where I have three cable boxes at my server - 2 HD boxes and 1 SD box.
post #180 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-09-11, 05:18 PM
Veteran

More correctly, the HD-PVR is a video capture device, not a tuner. It is treated the same as a tuner in most media software in order to change channels on the actual tuner (STB) that is connected to the HD-PVR. Vista MCE does not directly support the HD-PVR. There are basically 4 software choices for the HD-PVR. Those are the supplied software, GBPVR, MediaPortal and Sage TV. The supplied software provides a working codec and test baseline so it is worth installing. SageTV is the easiest to set up and get working but it costs US$80 after the 30 day trial. I use MediaPortal but HD-PVR support is still a little shaky and it takes some tweaking to get it working right. The h.264 files that the HD-PVR creates are not supported by most media players. Playback often require the installation of a working codec. SageTV has it's own. Codecs that are known to work with other players are the supplied version, the PowerDVD 8 codec and CoreAVC.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in