Experiences With the Hauppauge HD PVR - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-05, 08:00 PM
Veteran

There are issues with the HD-PVR blaster. Mine works but some people experience HD-PVR lockups and other issues. The HD-PVR blaster driver and software needs to be setup for the digital receiver it controls and the blaster LED needs to be attached to the receiver IR "eye". If you have another blaster that works, use that instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-05, 09:50 PM

Thanks.

Regardless of the remote (when I use the mouse) I can not change the STB (8300HD) channels. Is it an ir issue or is there a way to send a channel change command to the 8300HD via composite?

Could you help me understand where the other blaster should be attached?
On HD PVR or the computer?

Many thanks
post #138 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-05, 09:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinop View Post
Also, the program info in sage, the listings, does all that work if you have a rogers STB? When im on channel 519 Sage still thinks im on channel 4 or whatever..... not sure how to get that working either
Have you set up the IR blaster with your HD-PVR? You need that to change channels - or you can use firewire which is slightly trickier to set up but should be more reliable. I have two HD-PVRs both hooked up to Rogers SA3250HD boxes and can record two HD cable shows simultaneously, plus an additional HD OTA channel and one SD digital channel.

There is no way to change channels via component - there are two ways to change channel on a Rogers box via IR (via a remote control or an IR blaster) and via firewire.

The blaster that comes with the HD-PVR plugs into the HD-PVR with a mini headphone plug and then you tape it to the IR receiver on the Rogers box - which if I remember correctly is slightly left of the LED display. You must install the drivers for the Hauppauge IR blaster and your software must be capable of using the drivers - Sage can do so. You must also tell Sage that you are using this blaster when you setup your source. But I personally do not use the Hauppauge IR blaster as I use firewire for my HD boxes an another IR transmitter/receiver called a USB-UIRT for my non-HD box.

post #139 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-05, 11:05 PM
Veteran

Check this SageTV forum thread for the MCE remote and blaster.
post #140 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-06, 10:56 AM

Funny, i also just started using Win7 MCE with the HD-PVR and its AWESOME!!!!! The picture is better for me than in SAGE or TOTALMEDIA software. But i still havent been able to configure the remote for the HD-PVR either...... The funny thing is the remote seems to start MCE when i push the power button, and it works in MCE. Does that mean the remote is a fully functional MCE remote also?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?

Anyways, so i just stick the transmitter directly over the EYE on my STB using the 2 sided tape provided? Wont the transmitter be pointing AWAY from the STB though??????????

Confused... again..... But everyone should check out Win7 MCE
post #141 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-07, 02:22 AM

After so many hours of trial and error I set-up the HDPVR, DVBLink, Rogers 8300HD, Windows 7 MCE and Harmony 550 remote(original MCE 2005 remote receiver hooked in) with firewire.
I am still working on to speed up the channel changes and then take care of the channels in win mce guide that I am not subscribed to. Can I use an xml file to delete some channels?

After these I might do a quick write-up for the other people who will be suffering from the same thing

Thank you all for the help.
post #142 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-07, 05:31 PM

Could someone give me some advice.

I am thinking of jumping into the HDPVR. I have a Cogeco HD box with component out. I have a Vista VMC HTPC that currently records analog SD with 2 Hauppauge 1800 tuners and the quality is quite clear on my 42" Pany plasma. However on my 100" DLP projector, the output is not so good. I have 1 TB of space for TV recordings.

If I switch to recording HD using DVBLink, questions I have are:
1. Will the channel guide be correct for my region?
2. What format will the TV show record in (H.264)?
3. Will I be able to watch the output file directly in Vista, or do I need to load another codec? I am not keen on upgrading to Win7 just yet.
4. How much disk storage space will a one hour show take?
5. How about watching the output file on my DMA 2100 extenders? Will Transcode 360 make it watchable?
6. Is there any software that can automatically remove commercials (I currently use LifeExtender)?

One other option I may be able to take is have a dedicated PC just for HDPVR recordings and place them on my server for file sharing using Media Browser.

Hope this all makes sense.

I am not prepared to make the switch if this affects the WAF too much. Thanks to anyone who can help.
post #143 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 09:14 AM

OK. I think I managed to stabilize my system a bit further.
I have even found a software add on to Media Center that has a feature of disabling channels easier.
http://www.hack7mc.com/category/plugins

One bothersome thing remaining on my set-up is my rental SA 8300HD PVR receiver goes in to sleep mode if there is no activity for a while and HD-PVR streaming is lost. This requires me for a power cycle but if I forget to do that I lose some future recordings.

Is there a way to send a (fake) command via windows at regular intervals to keep the 8300HD active?

Worst case scenario, if I go buy/rent the 4250HD Rogers box do I need to worry about power save issue? Do 4250HD boxes have this annoyance as well or only 8300HD suffer from this due to the hard drive inside?
post #144 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 01:56 PM
Veteran

Programming the 8300HD to record or auto-tune the program will "fix" the standby issues. I had to do this with a 9200. It's a PITA though since everything should theoretically be possible from the HTPC. More sophisticated remote software such a Girder should be able to provide a proper fix but it's quite expensive. If the 8300HD has discrete on/off commands, sending a power on before the channel command should fix the issue. The HD-PVR blaster software is very limited in this respect.
post #145 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 02:21 PM
Veteran

Only the 8300HD shuts down every night - the other boxes stay powered on - unless there is a power outage or there is a software refresh from Rogers which happens occaionally.

But with all of these boxes you can set them to power on with any key press which should solve this problem as long as it always tunes the channel.
post #146 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-10, 10:56 PM

How is the live TV with Win7MC and the HD-PVR? I know channel changing is a bit slow...but is video and audio all in sync?

Sony Bravia |Bell 9241w/1TB EHD | Rogers Home Phone/Extreme Internet | Sirius Radio | XBOX360,PS3
post #147 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Only the 8300HD shuts down every night - the other boxes stay powered on - unless there is a power outage or there is a software refresh from Rogers which happens occaionally.

But with all of these boxes you can set them to power on with any key press which should solve this problem as long as it always tunes the channel.
Would that not cause the channel to fail to register the first digit? For example, if you're trying to tune channel 112, wouldn't it miss the first digit and instead tune channel 12?

Assuming this is the case, is it possible to force the IR blaster/firewire to add a 0 to the front of the channel, for example entering channel 0112? This is also assuming that it will instantly register channel changes upon startup...

Sorry for all the questions, I have an 8300HD at home (owned not a rental so no exchange possibilities) that I've been interested in adding to my HTPC (kind of holding out for rumoured native support for the HD-PVR in 7MC) and this sounds like a game-breaker for me if it seriously affects reliability. No way the family will accept that.
post #148 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 02:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Would that not cause the channel to fail to register the first digit? For example, if you're trying to tune channel 112, wouldn't it miss the first digit and instead tune channel 12?
No. Try it for yourself. The option is under "Settings (hit it twice) > Set: Power-On Keys" > select "Power and Numeric".

SA9865HD; Panasonic TH-50PZ850; Denon AVR-X4000; Tannoy: Arden, S8C, S8LR; SVS 16-46PC+; Oppo 971; Harmony 659/680
post #149 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll test it when I get home (as I probably should have before I posted in the first place).

Reliability is the only thing holding me back from integrating the 8300. Back in my early days with MCE 2005 I was with Bell and suffered occasional issues with the IR blaster missing a digit with the Bell receiver. The occasional missed recordings were more than a minor issue, and there are still some bitter memories from my family. My current setup involves HD OTA and analog cable, both of which don't use the IR blaster, and although I recently integrated an SD digital box (e940) with no IR issues in over 2 months, I'm still hesitant as even rare failures of recordings could cause me to lose the HTPC fight for good.

To summarize that long and boring story, I need it to work perfectly. Does anyone know if firewire channel changing solve that issues with STBs, or does it have it's own reliability issues?
post #150 of 352 (permalink) Old 2009-08-11, 04:02 PM

Are you using 32 or 64 bit Windows 7? Apparently changing channels via firewire in win 7 64 is impossible right now.

Oh, and BTW, someone from hauppage told me a few days ago that they will definitely have a driver for the HD-PVR in Win 7! Who knows if they were lying or not though....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in