connecting a computers/ps3 and a pvr - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2008-05-31, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Lightbulb connecting a computers/ps3 and a pvr

theres a few things i wanted to do here, first off i wanted to network my pvr to my computer. Theres some things on my pvr that i woud like to save, so putting it on bluray, DVD, or just onto another harddisk is my goal here.

i wanted to use my PS3 as the media center on my system. Up until now ive been watching videos from my computer to my tv via a svideo cable. But after burning a few files onto dvds and watchin them on my ps3 the quality was way better. But i didnt want to have to burn everything to dvds. i was hopin to have the ps3 pull the files directly from where they are on the computer over the network. OR an alternative would be to have the computer copy the files on the ps3s HD and then play them.

i wanted to just stay usin ethernet cables. WIfi seems to be overly expensive and the fact that these 3 devices are all within about 6' of each other.

I have a hub/router but for whatever reason it isnt workin anymore. so on monday ill go out and buy another one. Curious what i would need to get to make this work, while keeping the cost of it way down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2008-06-01, 01:46 AM

You don't indicate what equipment specifically you have - so that makes it hard to answer with regard to the PVR

Anyway, a few comments

PS3 getting material from PC is fairly straightforward, but there are a couple of pitfalls

(PS3) To get it directly from PC and play it directly, you need a media server such as TVersity running on the PC. This is supposed to send any video/audio that the PS3 supports directly to the PS3 - otherwise it will transcode the video/audio on the PC, then send to PS3 (note transcoding at 1920x1080 requires a very fast CPU)

I have run into problems getting multichannel audio to work, and many HD items you download from Internet require reprocessing to work well from PC to PS3 (either repackaging in a different format, or re-encoding of audio)

If you move stuff to PS3, a wider range of formats generally play more easily, BUT you are limited to 4GB FAT32 file size. Since much HD material is larger that this, a problem!

PVR
Now on the issue of playing or moving the original digital files to either the PC or the PS3 - the simple answer is "you can't"
THe files on the various PVR harddrives are generally copy-protected
Of course, you can downgrade the video by sending it out via S-video to PC, which will process it

Now there are workarounds for some equipment - rather than go into detail it would be best if you indicated what PVR you have (some of these options include Hauppauge HD-PVR, Expressvu R5000 mods, Motorola firewire output in non-5c areas)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in