QAM modulators - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-10-14, 06:22 PM
Rookie

i've looked at zeevee

And I think I really want something more simple than what they are selling.
I want a PC video card that has QAM output capability so i can splice my own channel into my home cable network.

This would allow me to tuner my multimedia machine screen to all HD TVs in the house. That in combination with a wifi keyboard / mouse and possible remote would give me full PC access to any TV in the house as well as all recorded TVs on my media center and digital cable box as well..

Anybody heard or know if anything like a PC video card that has a cable/qam output exists???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-10-16, 08:59 AM
Veteran

It is not that it is simpler (it is kind of, but puts a lot of the burden of MPEG2 encoding on the PC processor - likely eliminating any benefits of your graphics adapter at least), it is evel less of a viable product.

In your case, I think, as far as recorded content goes, you would be better to go with extenders, the standalone VGA to QAM device, or distribute the PC HDMI directly.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-10-16, 11:37 AM
Veteran

you can distribute component signal, send it over ethernet twisted pairs, then you can gender change it back to component and send it to the TV system. Of course this does not explain how you will get the audio signals to the TV cus component only does video, no audio.

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-10-16, 04:52 PM
Veteran

The ZV 150 has been replaced by the ZV160. I found a price of $950 on a web site. That's still pretty expensive. There may be better ways to solve this problem.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 09:27 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
cfs123, IMHO, you are better off putting a compact PC or a media gateway on each TV. You can get boxes that will send Ethernet over coax (sharing with OTA or cable TV) if connectivity is an issue.

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 2011-10-17, 09:34 AM
Veteran

Or you can use Extenders.

@cfs124 - How many TVs do you have? You can buy a lot of Xbox360s for $1000 and use them as extenders for WMC and have access to pretty much everything you want, assuming you have the right tuner(s) on your WMC box.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-04-22, 10:38 PM
Veteran

I am bumping this old thread back. This is exactly what I was looking for when doing some research tonight (and Google sent me here as part of my search parameters). My Samsung LN40B750 had a PoP mode, where one picture can be from any component/HDMI feed and the other has to be from NTSC/ATSC/QAM. So I'd love to use an component output from a Rogers box into a Zeevee, then output on QAM directly into the LN40B750 so I can get side by side picture (and yes, I know the 8642HD has a feature like this, but I would like to use separate terminals)... now if only I had $950-$1100 or so kicking around for such a project... I know the focus is mostly on places such as bars or high end consumers, but I think at most I would pay is a quarter of what the asking is for a project like this... NTSC modulators (composite in, NTSC out) back in the day could be had for $30+.

For the time being, I will just use the NTSC output on an old 3100 I have kicking but it looks horribly stretched.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 09:25 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Strange that the second picture has to be from NTSC/ATSC/QAM. Why would they put in such a limitation? One option would be to use OTA for the second picture, though that would limit your channel selection, though that could be augmented by an RF modulated (NTSC) signal from your cable box (it is easy to combine channel 3 with OTA).

I suspect the demand for QAM modulators would be very low, even if they could get the price down. Your situation is probably pretty rare as I doubt if many TVs have this limitation. As for comparing to an NTSC RF modulator, it is like apples and oranges as there is several orders of magnitude difference in complexity.

Why is the NTSC output of your old 3100 stretched? Can't you configure it as a 4:3 source so that the TV won't stretch it, but instead pillar box it (or if a PIP, use less screen real estate)?

Link to my TVFool results is in my profile Homepage URL. I suggest others do the same.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 10:30 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Your situation is probably pretty rare as I doubt if many TVs have this limitation
Actually most TVs with PiP/PoP have this or similar limitations. In the digital age with most people using external inputs (cable/sat STBs), there is not much call for PiP, so most TVs don't have it at all and the ones that do typically limit one of the "Ps" to the internal tuner.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 10:54 AM
Veteran

Ya, its actually weird. We have an old rear projector HDTV ready 58inch Toshiba that I would say is from 2002/2003 taking up a bunch of space in the basement that is used sporadically. It too has the PiP function and will let me pick from any input I desire for either PiP 'box', although if memory serves it will only display one box in 16:9, the other has to be 4:3. Still, at least I have the option and in that case could setup an SD Rogers terminal and an HD terminal and would have proper aspect ratios for both PiP boxes.

As for why the 3100 looks stretched, even if I select 4:3 in the settings when watching on cable (which obviously fixes the stretching), as soon as I hit the the PiP/PoP function on the LN40B750 (it has both PiP and PoP), it is framed for 16:9 and I can't find any way to frame it for 4:3. Obviously whoever at Samsung wrote the code for this feature was only considering those who are watching OTA, and like you said, I would like to maximize my channel selection. I was thinking of using the RF output from an HD terminal to solve this but from reading one of 57's FAQ the other day, it looks like that will just create black bars both vertically and horizontally, although it may fix the aspect ratio from looking out of whack. I may move a 4250HD or a 4642HD from another TV in the house just to test and see if I can live with that. The other solution I was considering, which I am thinking is probably in the $100 or so, is going Component to Composite and then Composite to RF Modulator. But my gut is that I will likely lose my aspect ratio and have bars somewhere.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 11:20 AM
Veteran

Quote:
whoever at Samsung wrote the code for this feature
It could also be a limitation of the hardware chips in common use.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 02:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Actually most TVs with PiP/PoP have this or similar limitations. In the digital age with most people using external inputs (cable/sat STBs), there is not much call for PiP, so most TVs don't have it at all and the ones that do typically limit one of the "Ps" to the internal tuner.
Strange. Is that because they assume people won't want more than one STB?

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 2012-04-23, 02:43 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
It's a result of:

Cost cutting - any feature costs money and the "cross linking" required for numerous options of PiP/PoP would require additional firmware and possibly additional hardware.

Most people never used PiP/PoP, therefore it was cut from most models to compete with other manufacturers in a "race to the bottom".

Even with older sets where cost was not as much of a concern there were often limitations in that very few sets allowed for PiP/PoP from two inputs, rather than one of the options being the internal tuner.

Many (older) TVs that had PiP didn't have two tuners and required a VCR or similar external device to tune the second "P".

If PiP matters to you today, you need to do your research very very carefully.

If you have a PVR, most of these have more than one tuner and you can then have PiP/PoP using the PVR - another reason it's not done in the TV much any more. Obviously, the "feature set" may not be as "rich" as was available in some TVs - PiP/Pop/ sizing of each individual "P", etc.

90% of customers get their TV via a service provider (or web) using an input, not via OTA (internal tuner), again TV features are going away and TVs are becoming more like monitors. Even OTA users may be using an external tuner or HTPC, not the internal TV tuner.

TV speakers are also getting so small as to be almost useless since many people now have a surround sound system.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in