Streaming Live TV.. what to do - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-05-28, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Streaming Live TV.. what to do

Recently I've ordered the HD PVR unit (allows me to capture digital Cable to my computer).. now my plan is to capture digital cable on the 'back-end/the Server'.. then watching/streaming it to my Windows XP laptop (the front-end).

At first, I was going to place a Mythtv backend on my server .. this way I could record and stream live tv to my laptop .. however, my frontend is Windows based and apparently mythtv is only linux based.. what other options do I have?

Note: I don't have a problem with having Linux on my server/back-end.. the problem lies with placing linux on my laptop (where I'll be viewing the live tv/ recordings).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-05-28, 01:38 PM

Have a look at both MediaPortal (free, open source) and SageTV. Both can operate with a back end/front end as you describe and using windows.

I really like MediaPortal but have struggled with stability. I eventually bought SageTV and it is solid for stability but not quite as slick as MediaPortal im ny opinion.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-05-28, 02:11 PM
Veteran

You could also try Orb server for Windows. It is free, works with some TV tuner adapters and allows you to set recordings. Playback can be via web streaming or uPNP to a media extender box.

It's not perfect, but worth a look.

Edit: I just realized you probably mean you have ordered the new Hauppauge HD unit. I have my doubts that Orb has been updated to support that yet.

Mike / technut

Last edited by technut; 2008-05-28 at 02:44 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-05-28, 09:49 PM

Can I ask a question...sorry to hijack the thread..

I'm almost ready to put my new HTCP online. Believe it or not I am clueless on streaming and viewing content on other computers in the home.

The HTCP with most of the content on it, will be operating with Vista Premium. The other two computers are XP2. There might be some back and forth but not much. The will all be on a home network hardwired. How can I watch recorded programs on the other computers from the Vista capable one? do I need an "extender"? (not that I know what that is). What software do I need to view them on the to other computers?

thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-05-28, 11:57 PM
Veteran

@toybox - The simplest but least elegant way to do this is to just Map your Recorded TV folder as a drive on your other PCs (presuming that you have shared it first). Then you can just go into explorer, double click on the file and it will play. This isn't very elegant and you will have a limited amount of program info but you will have some - you should be able to get other metadata like episode name in explorer by adding the columns. This method will not allow you to stream Live TV but you can watch any and all prerecorded programs on any PC on your LAN.

You could also install WebGuide on your Vista Machine. This allows you to connect to your Media Center PC from any browser either on your LAN or over then internet (if you allow the right ports through on your router). This way you can even stream live TV over the net - you could be in China streaming Hockey Night in Canada from your PC at home in Richmond. However Webguide seems to degrade the quality as it re-encodes, even when you are over a 1GB hardwired LAN.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-05-29, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

I think I'm going to go with SageTv rather than Mythtv (because of its Windows support) but I have 3 questions:

- Can my back-end be Linux Based?

- What enhancements/drawbacks do I have with SageTv from Mythtv?

- All the media going into my back-end from the (Happauge HD PVR) will be in a .ts format with x264 codec video.. so... can I still use my "Windows media Classic" player on my Front-end to view the LiveTv / Recordings from SageTv Back-end? Since, I already have the codecs setup for Windows Media player Classic.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-05-29, 12:43 AM
Veteran

Back end Linux? I think so as there is a linux version of Sage but it may not be as "fresh" as the Windows version. It is also possible that the drivers for the Hauppauge HD-PVR will not yet be ready for linux - some posts on the net have said no linux drivers.

Drawbacks vs. Myth - I don't know as I have never used Myth.

Media Play Classic - Perhaps - within the next few days there should be lots of sample files that people post. There are sample files available today so you could try downloading them. Other playback options would include VLC - you should be able to find some combination of player & codec that can play back the files.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-05-29, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

I'm just confused at how you connect, the back-end SageTv (my Linux server) to the Front-end/Client SageTV (my Laptop).

If I use the client/frontend that SageTv provides me with.. will I have codec support for x264.. mpeg2.. divx.. etc??

Currently I have Media Player Classic setup for x264 decoding and such (using the k-lite pack).. so is the client that SageTv provides me with going to have this decoding built in and can I choose which codecs I want to use with SageTV?

I'm really confused with how the front-end decoding works..

Any clarification would be appreciated.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2008-05-29, 01:28 AM

thank you. Once it's all up and running I will give it a try.

I reserve the right to bother you again....hopefully

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in