Extend PVR to bedroom - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Extend PVR to bedroom

Can't seem to find info on this.

What's the easiest method to watch my pvr from my bedroom (pvr in family room)? What equipment do I need? IR extender? Where should I get this stuff?

Thanks

HT Setup:
Rogers HDPVR
Onkyo SR-605
Sharp LC4682U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 01:34 PM

RF TV senders do not work well...
I use a rf digital modulator to insert my own lobby camera channel throughout the house on Cable channel 117 (unused analog channel in my area).
You could do the same to send whatever is being displayed on your PVR to the rest of the home. You will need a second RG-6 (regular cablevision cable feed) back to the cable splitter panel for your home for this to work.

You could then use an RF- IR extender to perform the channel changing functions.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 01:59 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Why would you need a modulator - simply connect the composite video and analogue audio cables to the other TV - provided the distance isn't too far. Or simply use the RF-coax output and use RF-coax to the other TV, tune that TV to channel 3 (sound will be mono).

The same programme would go to all TVs, unless you got fancy with the copy to VCR function on the composite output. Of course, then there's the issue of controlling the PVR from the bedroom - IR extender?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=61930 IR Extender.

This assumes you're talking about the Rogers SA8300HD.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 02:36 PM
Veteran

For SD, simply use the RF out, or if not present, an RF modulator or composite A/V to the other set, and an RF or other remote extender back. I do the same with an SD TiVo (has built in RF out though, so the work was in setting up the remote extender).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 04:01 PM

Talking

Or you could get an EV 9241. No extra equipment required. They will even hook it up for free.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 04:09 PM

I have the HD PVR from rogers and pass the component cables to a switcher running backwards with one in and two out and switch between the 50" room #1 and a 22" lg computer monitor room #2. A person can extend these quite a distance (better cables and special extenders). I do not see a difference in the picture on a Sony SXRD XBR1 but you could also use a HDMI switcher backwards as well. Also I use the Coax out to send a Standard def picture to a old Tv in room#3. I bought two extenders for the remote. Hooked up two senders and one receiver. It all works well except at times I hide the remote receiver in room #1 as it can interfere with a remote used in the same room.

sony SXRD, Denon, Szabo, psb. mirage, Antique Sound labs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in