I want to build myself an HTPC !! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2008-05-18, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

I want to build myself an HTPC !!

Hello everyone.

I've been seeing a lot of HTPC talk in the last few months and I just recently got into the hi-tech stuff myself (with the purchase of a full HD set, finally) and I'm now shopping for a new computer. The thing is though that I want to hook it to my LCD TV in my living room, and wish the computer to fit in the room.

I saw some really nice HTPC cases that would fit well there. But I don't really know much about that kind of set-up. So I come here for advice.

So far, I only looked for a moderately good PC, and here are the specs:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.3G 800 Fsb 2 Megs (skt775)
- Kingston 2x1024 Megs DDR2 800 Mhz
- Kingston 2x512 Megs DDR2 800 Mhz
- Asus P5kPl-VM Skt 775 Pcie Fsb 1333 Glan
- Western Digital HDD 500Gig Sata 16 Megs
- DVD burner LG 20x Sata Dual Layer
- GeForce 8600 GT Super Video Card - 1 GB DDR2, PCI Express, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) DVI
- Windows Vista Premium 32 Bit (I could go for the 64 bit, but I think I might pass since there's still a lot of compatibility problems)

As for the Sound card, I'm not quite sure yet what to go for. I want my set-up to be able to play the sound from my games consoles, and I don't know if there are any sound card that accept 7.1 canals in HD from and outside source like, say, a PS3. I saw some external sound card that looked good and practical, like the Sound Blaster Extigy but I'm not sure if it does what I would need it to.

And as far as casing goes, I like those with nice LCD screens, but I don't have a really high budget (1000$) so I would settle for a Zalman HD135 HTPC case.

Please, if you can point me in the right direction to make sure my set-up does what I need it to, I would really appreciate.

Thank you ^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2008-05-18, 11:28 AM

Please review Help me Build New HTPC (Post here to discuss plans for new HTPC).

Your plan looks good. On board sound should work fine. (No sound card required.) I would go with a 512K video card for a 32 bit operating system. (Extra video memory will reduce available RAM.)

Here is a review of the Zalman case. There are lots of case recommendations in other threads.

The case, remote and software are the most important aspects of an HTPC. Get the best case and remote that you can afford. (Go a little overboard if necessary.) Almost anything but the case can be upgraded later. Pay attention to media support on the motherboard as well. Vista Premium should work fine to start.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in