I want to build myself an HTPC !!
I've been seeing a lot of HTPC talk in the last few months and I just recently got into the hi-tech stuff myself (with the purchase of a full HD set, finally) and I'm now shopping for a new computer. The thing is though that I want to hook it to my LCD TV in my living room, and wish the computer to fit in the room.
I saw some really nice HTPC cases that would fit well there. But I don't really know much about that kind of set-up. So I come here for advice.
So far, I only looked for a moderately good PC, and here are the specs:
- Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 2.3G 800 Fsb 2 Megs (skt775)
- Kingston 2x1024 Megs DDR2 800 Mhz
- Kingston 2x512 Megs DDR2 800 Mhz
- Asus P5kPl-VM Skt 775 Pcie Fsb 1333 Glan
- Western Digital HDD 500Gig Sata 16 Megs
- DVD burner LG 20x Sata Dual Layer
- GeForce 8600 GT Super Video Card - 1 GB DDR2, PCI Express, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) DVI
- Windows Vista Premium 32 Bit (I could go for the 64 bit, but I think I might pass since there's still a lot of compatibility problems)
As for the Sound card, I'm not quite sure yet what to go for. I want my set-up to be able to play the sound from my games consoles, and I don't know if there are any sound card that accept 7.1 canals in HD from and outside source like, say, a PS3. I saw some external sound card that looked good and practical, like the Sound Blaster Extigy but I'm not sure if it does what I would need it to.
And as far as casing goes, I like those with nice LCD screens, but I don't have a really high budget (1000$) so I would settle for a Zalman HD135 HTPC case.
Please, if you can point me in the right direction to make sure my set-up does what I need it to, I would really appreciate.
Thank you ^^